Blockchain - where to start

My portfolio is growing quite diverse and I’ve been looking into various blockchain stocks

• IBM
• Canaan
• Visa
• Square
• Riot Blockchain
• Mara
• Hive
• Argo

To name but a few and also some EFT’s

• Amplify Transformational Data Shrg ETF
• Siren Nasdaq NexGen Economy ETF

Does anyone have any info to share. Obviously it’s just various opinions I’d like to read and I’ll always do my own DD before committing to anything :raised_hands:t2:

Currently I’m thinking IBM and VISA or an ETF.

Thanks for any info/knowledge…

1 Like

Have held Argo and Investco (BCHN) for about 3 months - 178% and 29% up respectively but very volatile.

1 Like

It’s a very volatile area at the moment which is making me think to play it slightly safer with an ETF or with IBM or/and VISA.

There’s an awful lot of blockchain companies about and a lot of hype. Finding it a bit tricky to read through them all. They pretty much all do the same sort of thing.

Doesn’t help that I’m a slow reader too!

1 Like

BLOK ETF is doing well, you might want to copy some things out of it into a pie (I don’t think it is on T212) and it could give you some ideas for blockchain companies if you look at the holdings.

https://amplifyetfs.com/blok

BLOK is an actively managed ETF that seeks to provide total return by investing at least 80% of its net assets in equity securities of companies actively involved in the development and utilization of blockchain technologies.

2 Likes

The amount of times I look of the stocks in my ETF’s (mainly Wisdom tree cloud computing) to see what’s changed and I genuinely didn’t think of doing this! That’s a great idea. Haha I was so close but so so far.
Thanks so much for that nudge :slightly_smiling_face:

Argo and Hive are much better investments in terms of return. And they are no less than RIOT / MARA in terms of ph/s computing power, they are actually better :slight_smile: The only advantage RIOT/MARA has is Nasdaq listing … an advantage that will vanish in just a few weeks, cause Argo and Hive are going to be there soon.
You want to ride MARA/RIOT from 40$ to 60$ ? or from 50$ to 75$ ? that’s a decent +50% upside
But with Argo and Hive you’re looking at +200% minimum short-medium term.
GLTA

2 Likes

I think the problem with “blockchain” is that most people don’t know what it is and think that blockchain = Bitcoin and hence everyone will be rich. There’s a lot of money to be lost when people figure out what it actually means.

1 Like

Having read certain forums I tend to agree - get rich quick. For me being a slightly more reserved investor it feels far too good to be true. I’ve seen so many people jump on HCMC and the likes and it feels a little dangerous.

I’m all about investing in the stocks I believe will be big/bigger in the future. Like visa for example. That’s why I’m interested in blockchain technology - I’m so new to researching it though.

Blockchain vs cryptocurrency - there’s a big difference.

Do you mean there’s lots of money to be lost in that there’s a lot of quick investor mentality or that some of the companies mentioned above are pretty danergous/volatile?

1 Like

Have a look ar $SOS

Big time play!

1 Like

Both! “Blockchain” has become a buzzword, which is a shame.

I can store all my thoughts in a blockchain, doesn’t mean it’s worth anything.

It doesn’t help that “articles” are written about blockchain being “the next big thing”. Honestly the number of “next big things” I read about every day make me very, very sad.

Blockchain has its uses, the trick is figuring out what they are rather than just jumping on any company who mentions it. Banks will use blockchains - I don’t see people getting excited about that.

1 Like

I like your analogy.

I think that’s why I’ve written down the ones I see getting mentioned a lot and have started looking into them. I’ve been shocked at just how many there are to be honest. Instead of jumping in it’s made me retreat a little. Even though I like the idea of it I believe the hype entices those to loose money. I don’t want to loose my precious money.

Haha yes I see what you mean, I suppose investing in banks isn’t “trendy”
Bitcoin/cryptocurrency/blockchain - hype and trendy.

I think I’ll take a look at what was mentioned above and see the ETF listings and go from there.

Right now I’m thinking IBM or visa. I use visa daily, I know visa. The gains I’m sure won’t be like argo but it can’t be as easy as that!

This quote sprung out at me

“Buy a stock the way you would buy a house. Understand and like it such that you’d be content to own it in the absence of any market.”

1 Like