Bond ETFs as an alternative to bank account

Hi guys. Is any of you using ETF as an alternative to saving account? My current one is yielding 0,000000% and I was thinking about moving at least part of my reserves to ETF. I might need some of this money at the end of 2021, but I’m also able to cover my needs from other sources so I don’t mind some price fluctuations. Looking forward to your suggestions!

Maybe even less, due to the inflation and the fees.

Maybe considering Inflation-linked Bonds ETFs, to have a Real Return (return adjusted to inflation)? :wink:

For US Bonds ETFs see TIPS ETFs, several flavors (including currencies, distribution/accumulation).

Also Global, GILT and EUR Inflation-linked Bonds ETFs → Only USD and GBP/GBX

Can also search for new additions in this category and ask T212 to add them. :wink:

For so short term, it’s risky, you could end loosing some money, and won’t have time to recoup.

1 Like

If it’s money you actually need i would leave it outside of the market in any shape or form.

The longer period of time you have in the market, the more your risks reduce.

7 Likes

What currency do you need, that may also play a factor in options.

As already mentioned, there’s risk even with bond ETFs and if you need to cash out in the shorter term, that risk is obviously heightened.
I use rolling notice accounts as ‘mini-bonds’ and manage withdrawal schedules so I know exactly when I can exit with each one, cancelling and rescheduling withdrawals to extend the lock if I can stay in.
Not many around right now but you can get at least .5 on a 45 day. A lousy rate but still better than nothing and without the market risk, though the .1 you’d be getting above an EA account would only be worth it if you have a very high balance.
Just an idea.

In GBP you can get 2% on balances up to 1k, and two 3% regular savers for £50 a month on balances up to 1k(can withdraw any time).

Other than that you are talking 0.4% easy access, but Premium Bonds probably worth it.

1 Like

Excellent topic. I’ve seen treasury bonds ETFs like VDTY etc. on T212 (there are approx. 30 of them), but they don’t look like a good buy (at least they didn’t turn out that way in the last few months).

What would you recommend as a replacement for savings, something with a minimal max drawdown?

Just a small clarification - it´s not like I would need all the money as I will accumulate some more savings during the upcoming months, and I´m also able to wait if the value drops - so let´s say that in Jan 2022 the value of my investment will be lower than what I invested initially, I can wait couple of months or I can cover my cash needs some other way. So all in all - I´m looking for someone who is currently using the strategy I´m asking about - short term cash invested in bond ETF which will at least partly protect my money from inflation. I already checked couple of ultrashort and inflation linked ETFs, but I would be interested what you are using :slight_smile:

What currency do you need, that may also play a factor in options.

Euros, I live outside UK.

I used to park some free cash in the iShares $ TIPS UCITS ETF USD (Acc) (IUST), it’s an EUR version.

It’s an inflation-linked US Treasuries (TIPS), better interest rates and higher inflation than in other countries.