[CFD] Upcoming Increase in Margin Requirements - postponed for 01.12.2020

I think they threw in the whole tool box :wink:

1 Like

Once the change takes place you will need 2440 to have those positions open. Your account value stands at (976+906) 1882. So your account will have 0 free funds and you will be down -558 in your account. You should be alright and they will bot close your positions. You might get a margin call at 45% but they only close positions at 25%.
Hope this helps. You’re welcome)

That’s what I’m honestly planning on doing as well. I’m currently in 2 positions; DOCU and NIO and I’ve got £6400 blocked funds and £4100 free funds. If I close DOCU position, I’ll be able to keep my NIO positions open, but I might as well close everything, withdraw my funds and find another broker.

I’m gutted to close my NIO and DOCU shares as I got in at a pretty good price, but if Trading212 are gonna do this now, then they could easily do this again in the future.

Do you have any other broker recommendations? I’ve been with 212 for a while now (2 years, started with a £100 account and have deposited 2k so far) so it’s a shame I have to leave their platform behind. It was so clean and easy to use, but I can’t risk getting into a good growth stock just for 212 to force me to close my positions…

IG has been recommended by many users, I will go there once I close my positions in the future.

1 Like

Bro, what do those numbers represent?
It’s probably wrong if you have to ask.
10000* 0.2947/2 I assune it is a forex position?
Leverage onle modifies for stocks, first if all
What is the 8000? Is it the vakue of your blocked funds?
To work out you use this magic formula (bkocked funds x 5)/2 = how much money you will need to have blocked after the change
Comoare that to what u have now blocked and free funds availabke.
If it’s lower your acc will go yellow, 45% margin call and 25% closing of positions.
U need to top up if your positions go the same direction they did so far. Good luck!
Hooe this helps. Welcome))

It is such a shame. I’m actually a big fan of T212 and use the platform daily. The ease of use and selection of stocks is great.

But with the increased interest, widened spreads, leverage change, and general server issues, like yourself I’m left with no choice to find another broker. I’ve lost confidence in the platform. I feel bad for all the people who will get wiped out of positions when the leverage changes. I could have been one of them, and maybe it’ll happen in future and I will be.

I’m not sure of a broker. I’ve been shopping around. I hear IG are pretty expensive. I’m currently looking at eToro and Plus500 as potential options.

5 Likes

No these are all stocks ! I think after closing Hyln/Nex ( I expect to be compensated for this ) I should be okay.

@adm If you don’t allow placing buy positions in T212, will it impact in other systems as all other platforms are allowing trading as usual with out any restrictions.

There is adverse impact on the people who already having sell positions and can’t protect their positions, if stock is keep going up. At least you should allow to place buy positions for existing sell position holders. This is really insane. You can’t justify your actions with unfair processes in place for T212. I really disappointed. I got to close all my sell positions of Tesla with huge loses as I am not aware how far market goes up and you don’t allow me to hedge my sell positions.

I know bro, I’m in the exact same boat. I started my trading/investing journey with 212 and had dreams of reaching a 6 figure account with them one day. It really is a shame that they’ve gone out and done this and I’m really going to miss their platform.

I’ve downloaded EToro and had a look at it, however the charts and drawing tools are nowhere near as good as 212. I think it’s best to use tradingview for all your analysis and drawing as tradingview are actually really good for that, and then use eToro to execute your trades.

I’m currently confused as to whether or not I should close my positions on both NIO and DOCU, or just DOCU. Closing my position on DOCU means that I’ll be able to keep my NIO positions open without depositing a lot, but if NIO goes down short term, I’ll be forced to close it anyway because I’d be close to the margin call.

1 Like

Not to mention the spreads on Nio could widen drastically too putting you in a bad position.

I’ve heard tradingview is a great platform actually. I may do the same, tradingview+eToro.

2 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t, I’ve tried IG and I find their platform truly awful!
T212 is without doubt the best platform I’ve ever used, even better than Barx-fx back in the days.
Let’s just hope T212 manage to fix the teething issues and these bombshells don’t occur in the future!

3 Likes

@Paddington Interesting. I’m curious. Which features due you find superior in T212 compared to other platforms?

1 Like

For me, very clean UI, clear information/details about instruments, easy to quickly check out stocks on mobile and PC, ability to add indicators and to draw on the detailed screens (which strangly not all platforms offer build-in).

The only downside for me is that on T212 you can’t pick a leverage on CFD’s. You have to use the leverage T212 gives you.

If I had a choice, I would never leave T212. But with the leverage change I hardly have a choice.

1 Like

What will be the minimum amount I would need to trade now with new change im new to trading and had started with just £150 as I don’t have 1000s to start with

Perhaps this post is of use:

1 Like

This tells you the amount you need to stay at your current %. What would be very helpful is a calculator that tells you how much you need to stay above the position close level. As for most people dumping the required cash is going to be unfeasible.

I for one would be happy to sit at say 40% knowing I did not close anything.

He will have 42 pounds to spare, if his account drops by 42 pounds he will hit the 25% minimum required , therfore may have a position closed, is that right?

I hadn’t even thought of that! I’m gonna play it safe and close both my positions on Monday then.

And yes, one could argue that tradingview is even better than T212 when it comes to charts and drawing tools.

Thanks for your advice bud, all the best with your trading journey and I’ll see you in eToro :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me get a beer and see what I can do

3 Likes

I agree, the clean interface is a big plus.
However, in peak times the service is lagging in significant ways, eg. long order processing, chart data being unavailable, login takes ages etc.

These and the unexpected changes in swaps, margin requirements, shutting down services on a whim, notifying users of one thing, the next day changing those very conditions etc. makes impossible for adequate planning, risk management etc.

It is a pitty T212 being a software platform with great potential yet choice and execution of business processes are in shambles.

Indeed, the option to select leverage ratio would be great. Would give greater space for risk nanagement.

I am very much in favour of T212 when it is working smoothly.

3 Likes