Dividend Taxation Query

@R0k go under Bayer, History, there should be dividend. Click on it for extra details.

1 Like

Hi @Vedran . This is what I seeā€¦Anyway thanks everyone for help. I learned something new today and thatā€™s all that matters.

It might be related to the number of stocks you have at ex-dividend date which is 29 Apr 2020.

1 Like

Hi @adriantc,
You donā€™t have to declare and pay any tax on received dividends in Romania as AT&T (as well as any US stocks) is US company and US has double taxation treaty with Romania. Thatā€™s the purpose of the treaty, to avoid double taxation. So Romanian investor is fortunate to benefit from tax treaty with only 10% tax rate and not to worry about declaring it and pay it as it is withheld before you get the dividend. Thatā€™s why T212 is filling up W-8BEN form for all their customers during opening an account. Not so sure about reinvesting the dividends, maybe T212 representative will help with that.
Regarding stocks from other countries, you need to research if Romania has the tax treaty with that particular country.
But, keep in mind that only the tax for dividends is withheld. You will still have to declare the income from capital gain as a result of trading by the end of the year. T212 will send you an annual tax statement, if you will request it, and use the data to declare the income to local tax authority (ANAF if I am not mistaken :slightly_smiling_face:).
Hope I was helpful.

1 Like

Hello Dumitru_C, do you know if REITs are having the same 10% tax rate without double taxation? From what I found it seems that there is no difference between regular stocks are REITs for romanians.

You always look at source of income. So if US REITs, same applies as normal company dividend.

1 Like

Yes, @Vedran is right. There is no difference for REITs, itā€™s considered as stock.

1 Like

No idea, best to contact T212 Support or try asking a Moderator on the Forum.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to opt out of this?

Hi, just wanted to inform you that in Croatia you donā€™t have to pay more tax than the 30% already witheld for US stocks. Foreign tax already paid on dividends can be ā€œuračunatā€ into tax owed even in the case when there is no tax treaty between countries.

What I do is, at the year end sum up all the dividends and all the tax witheld, calculate how much that is in percentage. If itā€™s above 10%, there is nothing to pay, if itā€™s below, you pay the difference to fulfill the 10% obligation.

You just need to fill in one ā€œINO -izjavaā€ when you receive the first dividend in the year and then you fill in one ā€œINO-DOHODAKā€ at the end during the annual tax.

I am skeptical about this workaround. Namely, correct me if Iā€™m wrong, the other exchanges already see trading212 listed as a UK business and accordingly withold tax, they donā€™t see us, the investors, because our shares are held in ā€œstreet nameā€, i. e., in the name of trading212, which then has its internal ledger where they record ownership for each of their inventory of shares.

Apparently, only the US implemented the mechanics to circumvent the problem by filling in the W form.

Why other countries make investing much less inviting by not doing the same, is beyond meā€¦