Fundsmith [discussion]

A thread dedicated to all things Terry Smith, who is perhaps the UK’s best money manager.

I’ve held his flagship fund in my Sipp for about a decade. While a little more pedestrian returns-wise, it has provided a good counter-balance to my more growth-focused Baillie Gifford funds.

I know @Richard.W’s also a fan.

Fundsmith Equity Fund
The Fundsmith Equity Fund, which is relatively concentrated with 29 holdings, has around £20bn under management, putting it on a par with SMT size-wise.

It has delivered a return of nearly 450% since inception against a sector average of about 167%.

The fund focuses on global large cap equities and is relatively defensive with allocations to consumer staple companies such as ULVR, RB. and PM.

While it’s an open-ended investment company, which Trading 212 cannot yet offer, it can easily be replicated with pies. Here’s the top 10:

Security Weight
MICROSOFT CORP 7.93%
PAYPAL HLDGS INC 6.72%
FACEBOOK INC 4.64%
IDEXX LABORATORIES INC 4.49%
NOVO NORDISK A/S 4.48%
PHILIP MORRIS INTERNATIONAL INC 4.41%
MCCORMICK & CO INC 4.23%
INTUIT INC 4.13%
ESTEE LAUDER COMPANIES INC 3.99%
L’OREAL 3.74%

The full holdings can be found in the latest semi-annual report.

Fundsmith also offers two investment trusts – one for emerging markets and the other for global small/mid caps – which are both on the platform:

Fundsmith Emerging Equities Trust (FEET)

Smithson (SSON)

4 Likes

Fundsmith’s annual meeting’s always a good watch and the yearly letter’s worth a read too.

1 Like

Where are you in this video? On the 1 million invest area? :smiley:

Interesting their view about the global economy, just before the Corona Crash on the markets (until the 23th March floor), the global shutdowns starting on March and the worst GDP numbers on most of the world’s countries.

Wishing that Trading 212 adds soon this type of funds.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I think it’ll be many years before T212’s able to offer this type of fund. I’d be surprised if it’s even on the current roadmap.

For those wishing to replicate Fundsmith with pies, there are two missing ingredients: Coloplast (CLPBY) and Kone (KNYJY), which make up about 7%. Any chance those two can be made fractional when you get a minute please @David @Martin @PeterA @Rumen? :pleading_face:

It doesn’t cost anything to dream/wish for. :slight_smile:

I already have access to some free fund supermarkets, but only UCITS complaint funds and not UK-domiciled (not anymore).

Since the Brexit referendum, some asset management companies converted their UCITS complaint GB funds to LU/IE funds, but there are UK funds not accessible to the Continental European investors, specially the non-UCITS complaint funds.

By using T212, we could access British financial instruments, a plus for Trading 212 vs. other brokers (mostly non-UK based).

A good selling point for T212 is the access to the British financial markets (financial instruments). An example, is the Investment Trusts already present, like the Baillie Gifford’s Investment Trusts.

It could help attract more investors on T212, not only the Continental Europeans who want British financial instruments but also British investors who want open-ended investment funds (OEIC).

1 Like

We can but hope. I’d imagine funds will become more of a priority when T212 launches a Sipp. Many would be reticent to transfer without access to Fundsmith, Lindsell, Vanguard all-cap etc.

In Fundsmith news, the latest factsheet reveals the fund has added household goods company Church & Dwight and sold its stake in assurance services firm Intertek. Usually, there’s little turnover but Smith recently purchased luxury goods maker LVMH as well.

As an aside, I’ve always liked the ‘our values’ part of the fund’s factsheet, makes me think of Ronseal’s ‘Does exactly what it says on the tin’ advertising slogan:

• No Fees for Performance
  • No Up Front Fees
  • No Nonsense
  • No Debt or Derivatives
  • No Shorting
  • No Market Timing
  • No Index Hugging
  • No Trading
  • No Hedging
1 Like

I’m starting my SIPP pretty soon and for the long term Fundsmith Equity looks like it’ll be an excellent inclusion :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Hi,

Fundsmith 2021 AGM video available, nothing much else I can find that is up to-date -

Fundsmith TV

regards,

For anyone interested, I’ve created a Fundsmith pie using the latest semi-annual report, which was published recently. I’ll update it every six months when full details are published. I’ll be selling the OEIC and buying this pie to swerve the 1% ongoing fee once T212 releases a Sipp.

Two of the stocks – Coloplast and Kone – cannot be held in an Isa although I’d imagine it’s due to T212’s blanket ban on OTC stocks rather than actual eligibility as I think the underlying companies both trade on HMRC-recognised exchanges.

A new holding was added in July but the name has yet to be revealed as far as I can see.

2 Likes

Have you thought about checking Morningstar how often the portfolio is rebalanced?

Also need to factor in the 0.15% fx fee here and lag in rebalancing.

Would be interesting to compare performance of both over time, but like you sat for a bit of effort you save the OCF and any other platform fees paid.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of this feature to be honest. I know turnover’s usually relatively low aside from a bit of chopping and changing over the past few months.

I was glad to see SGE, ITRK and RB receive the boot. I wonder what the mystery new stock is, anyone got a best guess? It’ll be something with a good ROCE, low debt and a wide moat. :thinking:

I thought I’d do it every six months in line with the annual/semi-annual reports to make life a little easier – back when I was doing the Ark pies, it was a royal pain updating them all the time.

Yes, once the T212 Sipp’s up and running, I’ll do a detailed analysis over time to determine whether it’s worth doing or not.

2 Likes

Cathie woods is releasing another ETF based on transparency I read today, how many more does the world need.

1 Like

Tell me about it, I feel like half of them are dreamed up by the marketing department! It’s one of the many reasons I like investment trusts: relatively limited choice compared to ETFs etc.

2 Likes

They’re playing the Robin Hood crowd extremely well I’d say. It’d be interesting to do a gap analysis between the funds to ascertain the amount of double up.

1 Like

Fundsmith has completed the purchase of a position in AMZN. The monthly factsheet also reveals the fund has sold IHG and started buying another mystery position.

1 Like

Which provider are you considering for your SIPP?

1 Like

Here’s this year’s annual meeting. It’s worth a watch whether you hold the fund or not

2 Likes

A fair few changes in the portfolio recently. Out go JNJ and SBUX, in come AMZN, ADBE, GOOGL and MTD.

Glad to see FEET will close, wonder if SSON will follow. I’ve never been convinced by either trust.

I no longer hold Fundsmith but the annual meeting’s still worth a watch…