Growth Vs Income stocks

Yeah ill have a look.
I want to test its limits though, like you said REITs are a problem for it but Iā€™ll always let that one go.

Iā€™m concerned with the term ā€˜dividend growerā€™ it suggests that the aim for the company is to grow its dividend.

Companies like appl msft asml donā€™t necessarily look to grow their dividend, or at least their yeild.

I wonder if the term reinvestor, or innovator would be more appropriate - not poking holes just trying to think of a better adjective to try to apply it to more companies.

1 Like

What about cost yield grower

Thatā€™s fine. If the idea is that dividend investing mathematically doesnā€™t work but attempts to profit from market irrationality thatā€™s absolutely fine with me. Itā€™s essentially a confirmation of what I was saying.

1 Like

I get what you mean, they might not be proactively growing their dividend, but I think it illustrates that they have plenty of room to, and likely will grow their dividend over time. Reinvestor is a good one too though for sure :thinking:
Could maybe split it like the top right one with dividend grower top half and reinvestor in the bottom half. Iā€™d say a company paying out near 50% is paying out a fair bit in dividends

Yeah I just watched your video and you explained that part very well.

Disagreed on at&t though. Most places I see at&t as a 60% payout ratio which is infact very close to your gold section.

1 Like

True, TTM is 94% right now, but likely higher than usual. I see the history was in the 60ā€™s

1 Like

Still. Rough time for t :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Also a good check is ā€œis this normal for the industryā€, case in point is that MLPs(a tax nightmare), energy, utilities and REITs tend to have higher payout ratios than would normally be seen as safe, also BDCs can have quite high ratios because there is a level of risk involved.

Yeah everything is always industry related such a ballache, I need to create a v lookup with conditional formatting for my portfolio analysis I canā€™t remember how to do it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Use xlookup if youā€™re using Excel.

1 Like

Funnily enough been learning this for an Exam!

=VLOOKUP(Cell you want to Reference, Table of Contents, Column Number in Table, FALSE)

Conditional Formatting can be done by listing a Range or a set of Numbers.

Hope this helps.

1 Like