How do you plan to live of your portfolio

@Lenos1980 - I think we are on the same page. I would only consider using one if there were no charges and I had the cash funds to cover it. My savings accounts do not always release funds quickly (i.e. faster payments)

I don’t think t212 would be allowed to charge for credit cards due to the laws on funding charges

1 Like

I use my own money, debt free :slight_smile:

1 Like

Best way imo as trying to make money with borrowed money is a recipe for disaster. I spent 10 years consolidating debt without any help including my companies debt.
My advice don’t look at investments until your either debt free or very good at risk management

2 Likes

I’m certainly not moaning at you for using a credit card but please remember hopeful poorer and sometimes desperate people come in search of ideas in places like this so I don’t want it to look like this is an easy way to invest as without the back up it is the most dangerous

1 Like

You usually can’t fund accounts with credit card i am suprised to see T212 allow it but am not sure if they actually do. What you can do though is pay for daily expenses on a 0% card for a couple months and don’t pay it off and then use the money you have saved to invest. This can be a dangerous pursuit though as dont assume you will make money as its volatile at the moment and inexperience will not be your friend. Be prepared to lose 50%

2 Likes

This is not a good idea to list on a forum for hopeful new investors.
The markets are always volatile it just depends on what you buy

Absolutely agree, I would hope my note about losing 50% etc would not be taken as encouragement haha. I was simply responding to someone talking about funding with credit card which is also usually actually against the policy on the credit cards. They treat it as a cash advance in a lot of cases and you will be hit with huge fees.

1 Like

Didn’t think about that, surely t212 would place it as a service though so it should be fee free?

Hi @DaneJames - Presently i pay most of my daily/regular expenses on a CC and pay off CC balance at the end of the month.

0% purchase CC could be an option in the future. I do agree with you that it is a dangerous pursuit.

I had only asked the question as I was surprised a CC could be used to fund an investment account. I would have expected the CC company to charge that as a cash withdrawal - that’s all

The fee comes from the credit card issuer not t212.

Usualy cash advances get interest applied from the moment they are taken.

1 Like

Someone needs to try it as I’m almost certain t212 is a service so it shouldn’t be labelled as a cash withdrawal.
I’m still not backing the idea though its dangerous

Surely you’ll get a card fee as you are literally depositing cash?

As far as I can gather it is free to fund your account with a credit card, as I said it appears to be an offered service so it would not show up as a cash withdrawal

it appears the withdrawal will go straight back to the credit card

Thats t212.

The credit card company is going to see your t212 account as no differnt to a bank account.

Difficult one this as it depends on the size of the portfolio you have to live from. The smaller the portfolio, the less risks you are likely willing to take, so even though you might be able to generate a steady income, your capital growth/protection but also fluctuations thereof are likely to be diminished by safer seen investments - bonds for example, or a diverse dividend fund.

Myself, I’m not quite there yet, but I would have a split pot. One pot to give me a minimum living income. A second pot for capital growth.

Right now, and probably long into the future, I am interested in the potential total return of any direct stocks I hold. Many people miss out on stocks with good returns because they ignore the fact dividends are part of the return and could be reinvested. It reduces your universe of stock picks.

So back to how I plan to live from my portfolio. I think I will most likely want to be living off income/dividend returns from no more than 70% of my portfolio. The problem with that is income funds, or bond yields are terrible right now so I may have to change my view to consider different options in the future.

Actually a pretty interesting way to look at it. Cover your basics and then add more risk with anything above that.

Why StoneCo? They have big competitions in the cloud technology. Why do you think they will succeed?

I agree for Tesla and UpWork, long term investor as well…

1 Like

I agree with Cavanhagan, it sounds like a good idea to have two different “pots”, in retirement I guess.

Bonds might stay low for a while, considering low interest rates and the market support from the central banks, however I imagine that once the economy gets back to normal in a couple of years dividends will start to raise again. Also, there are still quite a few companies offering annual dividend yields over 4%.