I only have the options of 1,847 stocks and 212 ETFs. Also no USA ETFs? The Website mentions you have over 3000 Global stocks. Please help

@H2T2 Retail clients shouldn’t be able to access US ETFs that aren’t UCITS certified, period. They’re only accessible to investors classified as “professionals”.

completely agree. i reckon ig allowed me to do so on account of my professional qualification and a few questions they asked me.

@David - any plans for trading 212 to do this? or any way i can “amend” my trading classification?

@H2T2 Yes, we’ll likely do it at some point - definitely not this year though.

Why US ETFs are not available in Europe? How come US stocks are? I requested some US ETFs and I received an answer by email with the list of existing ETFs domiciled in Ireland.
Did not help me at all.

It literally says why in this thread you’ve posted in. It’s like 6 or 7 posts up.

4 Likes

You can see more details in the link I shared, but essentially:
The consumer-friendly EU rules that apply to ETFs listed on European stock exchanges are called UCITS. Non-UCITS funds are regulated as Alternative Investment Funds (AIFs). AIFs that are run by non-EEA (European Economic Area) managers must not be marketed in the EU, and that includes US-domiciled ETFs.

2 Likes

Nice, I tried qqq, spy, dia,… they’re all there.

Interactive brokers also doesn’t offer these etfs anymore, for the reasons stated above in this thread.

you just reminded me why i picked ig in the 1st place :wink:

but then they can never beat trading 212’s close to nil commission unless they go free too. so like all trading, spread your risk around :wink:

Thank you @BullChew for sharing the info.

1 Like