IBKR erased their monthly fees? and considerations

(15% * 7000 EUR).

Itā€™s 0.15% is it not?

1 Like

Iā€™m on USD account and Iā€™m only holding several long-term stocks in different currency so Iā€™m not too worried. I just think of it as normal trading fees. My local brokers have fees ranging from 0.14% up to 0.3% for buy and sell so, eh I can live with that. Deposit by debit 0.7% fee is more of a concern to me :grin:.

Iā€™m having a trouble opening an account on IBKR so i canā€™t confirm, but i think itā€™s 2 USD minimum fx fees on top of 0.35 USD trading fees? Cheaper than T212 sure, but that is if you trade on large amount and infrequently.

currency too. Im using it for about 3 weeks. Moving all my swing trades to there. Actually leaving at t212 only my div pie.

Yes, i forgot the Ā« . Ā»
Its .15%

1 Like

You could still create the free account with IBKR to use their PortfolioAnalyst by importing transactions.
They show a ETF analysis with the consolidated stock percentage of all ETFs. etc.,

I moved 4 month ago to IBKR, so far it has been good, having access to more stocks and not restrictions on OTC plus the ability to have my cash in dollars. Indeed is great to have their execution speed and access to reports and analysis about stocks in one place. About removing monthly commission fee for inactivity, I saw it coming since they started to block OTC order for Trading212. They want the market share back from the likes of Robin-hood, Trading212 and eToro, on my opinion. But in all fairness T212 pie system has not match right now and the web GUI is a lot better plus chart prices are live opposite to IBKR where you need to upgrade your plan if you want non delayed prices (But you can always have Yahoo or Bloomberg opened to check prices and use it for your limit orders).

Hey Viclow. Have you had any issues with IBKR? Everytime I login to the client portal I get logged out and the 2fa is really bad and does not always work. In fact I have not been able to login for the past 3 days

I love the variety in stocks and bonds, too bad they donā€™t have fractional shares on non-US instruments,

Hey @MoneyMondays I havenā€™t experienced any issues so far. But I did notice since I started using IBKR web app and their desktop app that both were using huge amount of RAM and they were lagging sometime. So I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 40GB and since then everything goes smoothly. 2FA is good too, using the mobile app to authorise the session.

1 Like

my ram is 16gb and meant for 3D virtual rendering or gaming (hasnā€™t happened for a good 2 years now though). so needing 40gb RAM just to use an investment app is ridiculous. if itā€™s lagging, you donā€™t need more RAM, you need faster RAM :wink:

2 Likes

40GB ram is almost definitely a wrong choice, I donā€™t know what your stick configurations are but itā€™ll be faster if you were to run 32G on dual channel (or quad but I highly doubt it)

what is ā€œvirtual renderingā€ and why does a rendering job is dependant/bottle necked by ram? sounds curious. which software is this? rendering what?

3ds max. The more ram you have the more detailed the model and scene you can render at a time. But if it started to freeze it was often because the memory wasnā€™t fast enough rather than there being too little of it. By doubling my ram speed the renders complete so much faster. Great software but I couldnā€™t do much with my old pc when it had just 8gb ram so when I left uni to work I doubled it and got a good deal for 3000mhz, never had an issue since. Also never faced apps or my browser tabs trying to drain it so was surprised that using IBKR led someone to need 40gb of ram :joy:

Hmm, not exposed to 3ds a lot and I think most of our guys are on blender for motion picture rendering but once you have ā€œadequateā€ amount of ram, it would not effect performance (may be itā€™ll speed up initiation of the rendering by bootstrapping a lot faster) 3DS render is entirely dependent on GPU cores, unless you have a monster CPU and use software rendering in which case CPU :slight_smile:

But when you say you doubled your ram speed to 3000 Iā€™m guessing that means DDR4-3000, half of that implies you were on DDR3 so thatā€™d require some changes in system and yes the performance difference in general (not limited to 3DS) will be visible. But I guess you are lucky almost no-one has that much free room to upgrade, and DRR4-3000 to 3200 or even 4400 differences will not be visible.

aaaaaaaaanyway I got massively side tracked from topic as usual.

This was my primary point, he almost definitely does not need that, and like I said using 40G of ram will halve his performance because the memory wonā€™t be able to work in ā€œdual channelā€

If your system is dual channel you need ā€œpairs of ram sticksā€ So I am gonno guess he has 5 x 8? or 1x8 + 2x16? in any case it cannot be paired and running in single channel, which halves the speed. (if you are running in quad channel that means you have quads of same sized sticks - but then again I doubt it)

edit: ugh I just talked with an engineer from the floor, she said 3DS needs a lot of ram to run ā€œcomfortablyā€ (apparently) depending on the project size. But she also said oldest workstations we have are working on quad channel 128G so she could not level with my conversation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you guys are going off topic here. MoneyMonday asked for my experiences with IBKR. 40GB is just a number Iā€™m using iMac and it had 8GB before. When I started having issues switching from tabs and screens I got 32GB extra. I could remove the old 8GB as the iMac has 4 slots, but it does not affect my performance having 40GB instead of 32GB. IBKR web app and desktop app consumes lots of memory and if you are doing research and trading different asset with different platform for my case 8GB wasnā€™t enough.

Surely that just means the software is ā€˜inefficientā€™ in its memory usage right?

Correct. I think their software is not well optimised. Although it does the job and the order execution is really fast - I can talk only for my experience, it might be a different scenario on Windows.

Yep we are 100% off topic, like myself and @Dao also mentioned above :smiley:

but trust me on this remove your old 8G and assuming your new 32G is 16x2? youā€™ll have a lot better performance not just only in IBKR but anything that relies on your memory.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the deal with IBKRā€™s debt anyway.
It concerns us all hereā€¦

A question related: Do brokers indicate ā€œclient assetsā€ as liabilities in their balance sheet?
A bit like banks showing clientā€™s savings as liabilities on their balance sheet.

Just thinking that that may be the rrason for the high liabilities.
Have you checked their latest annual report?
That may provide more clarity, as well as more reliable info.

2 Likes

No I havenā€™t looked at it, but that sounds very probableā€¦

I believe so. Check out some of the large global custodians - CITI, BNYM, STT.

I think that it is basically that they have to show the assets on their own books, as they act as a Trustee of the assets, and the ā€˜debtā€™ is the offset that it is not the companies asset, they are simply looking after it on behalf of another party.

1 Like