Introduction of FX Conversion Fee

I donā€™t know about that, after the GME restrictions I got bombarded by their invite links everywhere - Twitter, Redditā€¦ anyway, I donā€™t think most of their users even realise they have been charged 0.45% per trade. Here itā€™s different. Weā€™ve been spoiled. :smiley:

1 Like

Anyone can flag a post. I can assure you that ā€œleadersā€ only flag posts that breach community rules. Disagreeing or posting something negative (that isnā€™t untrue, misleading or false) wonā€™t get flagged by a leader.

I find it really frustrating how people flag posts just because they disagree with them.

P.s I donā€™t have a YouTube channel. I donā€™t have a face for TV :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

@krr13 You could always wear a mask. ā€œThe Masked Investorā€ - there you have a new alias :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve gone through and read all 420 posts on this thread, and I share the disappointment everyone is feeling right now. Unfortunately Iā€™d like to give you all a harsh dose of reality - T212 executives are not reading any of your sob stories. Put your money where your mouth is and either stop adding to your T212 portfolio, or close your account.

And I can assure you, once their AUM stagnates, feeā€™s will magically come down. Their AUM and account numbers have accelerating faster than ever - their making more money than ever, and still increasing fees? Because of greed.

T212 is a growing company - not mature. So investors will continuously and forever be the guinea pigs in their experiment, and lose money as a result.

Personally, I will not be adding to my AUM or reducing it. I prefer to pay a little extra for a better and more secure service. Itā€™s perfect timing too, as April is fast approaching and we can open ISAā€™s with other providers.

8 Likes

How can you assure that?! You cant! That claim is baseless!

Which part? That anyone can flag a post?? That I donā€™t have a YouTube channel? That I get annoyed when people flag posts they disagree with?

As a trader i am not Happy about this. Iā€™m trading with 25K so the fees Will eat a lot of Money.
I suggest you do a level membership or something like this:
Below 5K : .15% fees
Above 10K : fixed fee
Opening and closing a position with 25K costs around 70 so thats a lot and any broker in Europe Is cheaper, hell even my bank(40) .
Thanks and try to Listen to your clients!

7 Likes

Agree on the timing part, but not so sure on the guinea pigs/lose money part. People can choose what broker they use, based on the service and the fees that apply.

If any broker fees turn out to be higher than the return on investment, then the solution is to not invest.

This has most likely been asked but thereā€™s close to 500 messages to read now. Apologies for the lazy option in advance.

Some of my dividends for my ETFā€™s are still in the pence price category - how will a 0.15% fx fee be applied to these? Surely it canā€™t be rounded up as then the % will be much higher than 0.15%

For arguments sake letā€™s say I receive a dividend of 85p

0.15% of 0.85p is 0.00127

What happens then? Surely nothing in this instance?

This leads on to what might be an elegant solution. 212 only taking the fee when the minimum amount meets a suitable threshold, for argumentā€™s sake 50p or Ā£1. In this way it doesnā€™t overly hamper new investors building/fleshing out portfolios and remains a minor charge for those with larger accounts.

2 Likes

if we consider how pieā€™s and fractionals have affected balances and that behind the visual restriction of pennies, they are actually trailing to about 8d.p then you would think it makes sense for these fees to also trail in such a way. since many of us cannot use FX feeā€™s against taxation it wouldnā€™t matter if the fee was taken from the general pool once it finally amounts to 1p, but for those who can claim it against tax, they would want only the accurate amount recorded against the transaction that caused it.

for such a small fee, where dividends are not large enough to charge only the correct %, perhaps a rounding down policy will be in place? and where the chargeable fee amounts to 0.14% or 0.16% then the 0.14% is charged so it doesnā€™t go in excess of 0.15?

1 Like

I agree. There must be a minimum value for FX to sort of kick in. Otherwise being charged even 1p would be 12% so to round up would be totally over priced from 0.15% - 12% (actually more like 11.5%)

That would be a good option. I hope they can provide more clarity. I mean Iā€™m not overly fussed about pence but I think itā€™s the principle really :slightly_smiling_face: just understanding how itā€™s factored into something so small (dividends)

@David this kind of question has been asked a few times now, havenā€™t seen an answer anywhere, can you clarify what will happen in this instance when you get a chance?

1 Like

I havenā€™t decided what Iā€™m going to do yet, I really do get the impression though that their will be more and more small charges added over the course of the next year or two with the lines ā€˜these are some of the cheapest aroundā€™ and ā€˜we are going to introduce exciting new features soonā€™. I suppose I will reserve judgement for now and see what the next 6 months bring before deciding, while the market had a small correction recently it doesnā€™t mean come the end of the month it wonā€™t be higher before a new ISA season kicks in

8 Likes

It has been explained that the 0.15% will be imposed by way of an adjustment to the exchange rate. If the spot rate is $1 = Ā£0.72 you will get the same as if the exchange rate were 0.9985 x 0.72. So nothing different than what already happens when computing dividends. In my experience, dividends are rounded up or down to the nearest Ā£0.01 when they are reported.

However, I recall that in the past Trading 212 were keeping records internally to more than 2 decimal places. So three dividends of Ā£0.116 could be reported as three of 12p, but since those actually add up to Ā£0.348, the free funds balance would show an increase of 35p, not 3x12=36p. This discrepancy of 1p was bothering people, so things may be done differently now.

2 Likes

Trading 212,
I absolutely agree with your censorship of flagging my posts. Hmmm, maybe my enthusiastic backing of your current FX policy could be misinterpreted by some. Honestly though, do you really think my robust defence of fees would be understood as anything but loving everything you do? Still, I understand. Nothing to see here. Just carry on . In hindsight, it might give people ideas I never intended eh? I get it :wink: Long reign Trading 212

3 Likes

Your posts come across as a little sarcastic to be fair.

End of day, this change could have been implemented by any broker, and it will mean different things to different people.

My own opinion, is itā€™s not a deal breaker for most.

1 Like

Are you sure we are talking about the same thing? I am not 100% certain as to how the t212 fx fee it will be charged. Is it to the euro/gbp amount once the conversion from usd is done or is it like for freetrade or XTB where the conversion rate used is increased by X%?

Yes as I read both the Freetrade and Trading212 conditions on adding an extra 0.45% and 0.15% to any FX, are almost identical bar the difference in fee applied.

The email I received had a clear example how it would work, perhaps youā€™ve not received yours yet?