Introduction of FX Conversion Fee

As explained by @Richard.W, the fee is applied through adjustment of the exchange rate. Here is an example:

**Breakdown of an example calculation of how applying the fee looks like

Direction Spot GBP/USD rate FX Conversion rate
1.4000 / 1.4100
SELL 0.15/100 x 1.4 = 0.0021
1.4000 - 0.0021 = 1.3979 1.3979
BUY 0.15/100 x 1.4100 = 0.002115
1.4100 + 0.002115 = 1.412115 1.412115
2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, because there is a difference between having a fee applied to the converted amount or the % being applied to the fx rate.
I have received the email but it doesnā€™t include any example

1 Like

How so? Suppose a dividend of 100. Spot rate is $1=Ā£0.7200. Then

(100 x 0.7200) x 0.9985 = 100 x (0.7200 x 0.9985)

or as Trading 212 explain it

100 x (0.7200 - 0.0015 x 0.7200)

I think I was taught to call this the associative law.

• Subsequently, I now appreciate that the difference for some people is in how this charge can be treated for tax.

• I had enjoyed the simplicity for tax reporting of how things used to be on this platform. Now I will need to keep separate records of the purchase cost, sales proceeds and dividends before fx charge is applied.

if people read your sarcasm and feel it serves no beneficial purpose to the discussion, they can flag you for spam. so keep it in moderation.

the difference is probably that some countries let you claim back the FX feeā€™s that are charged separately, while we canā€™t in the UK. so if its applied directly to the rate, there is no separate fee, so nobody is able to count it against their taxes.

2 Likes

Yes, either a monthly fee or a fixed fx fee per trade similar to other platforms needs to be introduced alongside the % fee. This way the user has a choice based on their trading/investing style whilst still support T212 development.

1 Like

My point exactly, thank you @Dao it would also mean one more column in my dividend control spreadsheet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Dao, even if you are making the assumption it was sarcasm. Very hurtful. Out of interest, which of my business advice points do you think Trading 212 havenā€™t already thought of? Be honest. Or, is the mantra ā€œGreed is goodā€ not allowed anymore?

1 Like

Iā€™ve read your past comments and these, itā€™s very clear how sarcastic you are being. donā€™t patronise everyone who can see your posts.

2 Likes

Again, with the sarcasm accusation @Dao. I donā€™t know where you get the idea I was being patronising either. You really need to adjust this erroneous mindset you have of me. Do you not believe that my points for Trading 212 are valid? I should hope theyā€™ll implement them soon if they want more profit. FX increases was a great start. Trading 212 have an opportunity to make substantial profits on the backs of their users. Who wouldnā€™t want that? Hopefully, lots more fees are inbound to seal their profits and dominance of the market. Letā€™s be honest, the vast majority with Trading 212 are not going anywhere, so let the money roll in. Long reign Trading 212 #NOSARCASMHERE

1 Like

I donā€™t think heā€™s patronising everyone just 212. Finding all this quite funny. The competitions do charge fees but i really do hope thats the end of the charges and fees that are going to be added and we see improvements from the revenue made from the fees. Now with improvements that should be suggestions made by the users and i have read previous post you donā€™t really like the idea of suggestion @Dao . I do recall someone suggesting an improvement but because you saw it as useless to you, you found no interest for it but donā€™t object to it. In this scenario where @DeCapa is being sarcastic and its plain for everyone to see he shouldnā€™t be banned or his posts removed for expressing his opinions. He is not doing anyone any harm.

9 Likes

Im truly disappointed with this change. Hope Trading212 will take in consideration the comments of unhappy customers.

Thanks

2 Likes

This needs to be sticky, I see folks chasing their tails in while the actual issue is rather clear as wise man Kali so eloquently stated. :beers:

21 Likes

Just checked my account after two weeks and noticed the notification about FX charges :sob:

Although it is very low compared to other brokers, I would be happy if there is max cap on FX charges per year.

4 Likes

Brilliant idea. Ideal to set limits for it.

A few weeks later: ā€œWe are introducing a monthly minimum capā€ :eyes:

Obviously this claim. But you knew that already did not you

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s possible, probably not, but it would be good to introduce the possibility of a deposit in another currency. Eg. I have an account in USD, but I send ā‚¬ (to the t212 ā‚¬ account), and t212 converts ā‚¬ into $ and charges 0.15% commission. So I donā€™t have to pay Ā£3 for a swift transaction every time I make a deposit.

2 Likes

Can we have multi cure support ? This can serve as an option for avoiding the fx fee.