Introduction of FX Conversion Fee

not quite. rather than addition, its multiplication. because the feeā€™s arenā€™t all attributed the the initial amount, but rather respective to the individual amount at the time of conversion.

so its a bit less than the full 1%, but by margin of error.

2 Likes

True*

(20 charachter max)

Just a thought, but if say 90% of whatever your trading was US, could a solution for yourself be to change your account base currency to USD if possible?

It would save 212 having to transfer the EUR/USD conversion fees back to you in this 0.15% ?

3 Likes

I think T212 conversion rates are still better than what you will often find with many banks.

Ive wanted to this for some time, unfortunatly id have to sell everything and re-create my t212 account, ive got investments from a year back that i cant let go of :confused:

1 Like

And everytime you earn dividend you will be charged again 0.3% again and again because the dividend is automatlically converted in your base currency and then invested again (if you have pies with automatic reinvest)
So this getting you very rapid more expensive than other broker who has multi currency support. And there are enough such brokersā€¦

16 Likes

Yea that would suck, luckely im not into dividend investing :wink:

1 Like

It doesnā€™t cost them to convert currencies. FX is free and real-time/spot price with IBKR - which is their execution intermediary.

If you read the original post by David, in the 3rd paragraph, they are introducing/applying it themselves. Hence it is profit driven decision, this would go on to support future development still I believe.

They are also not responding on multi-currency support also, which they promised in Q2ā€™20.

Trading212 is for small retail investors, and they invest over time 15bps per order/transaction adds up to a lot.

I might just move over completely to IBKR then. At least Iā€™m paying commissions and getting full access to a broad set of features.

32 Likes

multicurrency was never promised. read the post again, it said they would consider it in Q2 of 2020, which meant they werenā€™t even going to discuss it until then, not introduce it.

2 Likes

Most people donā€™t invest with their banks anymore. And here we are not converting to spend, but to invest and redeem, it goes both sides and could end hindering growth over time for small retail investors who invest small amounts.

2 Likes

Okay you might be right, maybe they were indeed just ā€˜consideringā€™ it as it the most the requested feature of all times since 2019?

2 Likes

I didnā€™t say they invested with their banks. people who are funding via their banks to avoid a 0.7% fee, may find that even if they can transfer to a different currency in T212, may face conversion rates set by their banks that are higher than T212ā€™s 0.15%.

cards often also have conversion rates and rarely are they so low.

3 Likes

This is definitely true there are only a handful that actually do zero commission without hidden fess.

Starling would be my example where its just the Mastercard exchange rate.

However as @mrbarnier mentioned the ISA account would still need a way to use GBP (as foreign canā€™t be held) so the 0.15% is unavoidable.

It would still be nice to fund the Invest with USD/EUR and have that segregated.

1 Like

Not true.

18 Likes

well, I only ever reply to the context of the quotes I see thrown around most. ā€œnever promisedā€ just referring to the dates given and ā€œweā€™ll develop it for sureā€ is not a promise to have had the feature out already just that it eventually will be, so thereā€™s no difference if it still doesnā€™t come for the next 3 years, because it only has to come ā€˜eventuallyā€™.

1 Like

Would you mind elaborating on these big plans and developments please @David ?

Also these upcoming next level of features. A teaser should do.

12 Likes

Or a roadmap maybe! A roadmap would be nice!

4 Likes

roadmaps or timelines arenā€™t happening. at most we will get updates occasionally as testing and betaā€™s roll out or when something finally gets released.

Well point is, Alex posted.

Then George post.

This is diametrically opposite stance, so it seems something changed in the strategy between May 2020(Alex post), and 2021. (when George post).

All while ā€œoptimisticā€ release date was end of 2020.

13 Likes

In my humble opinion, and a Leader can separate this into another topic maybe -

all trading related actions should be free, including FX

I suggest against implementing this fee - T212 is already profitable and has multiple revenue streams, including CFDs, securities lending (we have the latest AUM numbers too), and fractionals among others such as interest on cash. Also the costs of account top ups is now also on clients and hence even lesser operating costs.

Since T212 is bringing a banking feature, they can take multiples of .15% in their overdrafts and loan programs etc.

In short, all trading related features should be free in order to remain competitive, including no FX fees or international exchange fees.

9 Likes