Introduction of FX Conversion Fee

Things change and T212 have decided to introduce an FX fee. For a long time you could trade foreign shares without fees. Now you canā€™t. Thatā€™s where you as a customer have a choice to stay or leave. My bank started to introduce fees for services I used so I left.
Frustrating but it is the way things are. Business models evolve.

Iā€™m not saying I welcome the fee by the way. Iā€™m just pointing out that nobody is forced to pay the fee.

1 Like

Yes, we could already get used to such business models, revolut, t212, and many others. They are free until they collect the expected number of users, then start introducing fees calculating that users hardly change habits.

Enjoy while it lasts, although I have no intention of changing the t212 (I just intend to deposit larger amounts), possibly if a better broker appears, or e.g. (by some miracle) webull starts doing business with EU clients because I prefer their web and desktop user interface.

1 Like

You should probably read (again you need to read) the history behind Trading 212, the name and itā€™s aims. All publicly available information from the CEO and team which shows your assumption is wrong (again).

Yes. Again, you didnā€™t readā€¦ (Theme here anyone?)

The share lending program supplements revenues for long term buy and hold investors. Youā€™re no more superior as a customer just because you have an itchy trigger finger.

4 Likes

Yes Please reread ā€œTRADING212ā€ (not investing 212). Unless the name has changed where I am not aware of.

The long-standing brokers famous for long-term investors for ISA/SIIP such as HL, A.J Bell, Iweb, ii are not able to effort a near zero fee.

Other Platforms with similar business model with T212 in the US such as Webull, Robinhood could efforts a n zero fees because of the active traders. Not becuase of the people who just buy ETF, index fund and forget it.

It is a very simple math, is it not. Compare they money they make from freqeunt tradres with the one who just just buy ETF, index fund and forget it.

And what about this question Donald_Duck

Can you get it cheaper elsewhere?

ans the asnwer is Yes, you could.

1 Like

Thatā€™s rubbish and shows your lack of understanding again.

Robinhood makes nearly all of its money from selling order flow data.

The others are legacy platforms built on archaic software.

Because I now realise youā€™re incapable. Trading 212 is what 13 14 years old. Started as a CFD platform. Trading is in reference to CFD the only thing they started off doing.

Has nothing to do with you and your active share trading.

But feel free to change the narrative to suit your argumentā€¦again.

3 Likes

Please read this. Not just self inflicting argument

ā€œCommission-free trading platforms paved the path, and Webull saw an opportunity to offer users a more robust trading platform, making this a platform that should rise to the front of the pack. Webull picks up where other platforms fall short in terms of the features and data available to traders.ā€

Commission-free trading platforms paved the path, and Webull saw an opportunity to offer users a more robust trading platform, making this a platform that should rise to the front of the pack. Webull picks up where other platforms fall short in terms of the features and data available to traders.

They word making money from long term investors is hardly used, if anyā€¦

You could not defend something indefensible where simple GCSE math will easily produce figures. Compared they money they make from frequent tradings with the one they make from those who just buy ETF, index fund and forget it.

1 Like

I give up. Itā€™s honestly laughable this conversation. Like talking to a toddler who doesnā€™t even understand what theyā€™re saying.

You have zero comprehension of what a buy and hold investor is. Especially when you canā€™t buy index funds on T212 (or on RH or WeBull) but youā€™ve mentioned it on numerous occasions.

But you do you, honestly the less you know the safer youā€™ll be to us all.

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy they are introducing a FX fee to generate more revenue so they can invest into new features and improvements.

But for someone who actively trades, buying and selling positions daily on the us stock exchange these FX feeā€™s are racking up too much, itā€™s making your service more expensive than HL (charging Ā£5.95 - Ā£11.95) - especially when trading in large amounts of equity.

Trading212 needs to implement one of the following, a daily/monthly price cap on the FX conversion fee or a subscription plan.

Also I think itā€™s wrong of them to introduce a fee without multi-currency accounts, especially considering investors in the UK and EU

@David @Team212

5 Likes

Is that true? I spotted this on HLā€™s website.

Source: https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/share-dealing/overseas-share-dealing-service#charges

1 Like

They need a cap or subscription plan.

1 Like

I donā€™t disagree. Just contesting the point highlighted?

The point is to have a capon feeā€™s and a subscription plan in place especially when investing frequently with large amounts of equity.

2 Likes

Oh Jesus, here we go again. I agree.

But you said Hargreaves is cheaper - Hargreaves isnā€™t cheaper?

Iā€™ll pop the table in again just in case you missed it.

Yes to a cap, yes to a cap, yes to a cap.

And you have zero knowledge in math, even GCSE level math. Compared they money they make from frequent tradings with long term investors

Prove it. Show me the math and source it.

1 Like

Simple GCSE math

Compared the money they make from frequent tradings (in extreme case say 100.000 tradings in a year) with long term investors.

Show me the math and source it.

Stop making it up and show me.

Thatā€™s nearly 400 trades a day. Over 50 an hour. :joy:

Letā€™s make it like for like, my buy and hold guy has a 14 trillion dollar account.

4 Likes

For this reason I like etoro where nothing is charged if paid in USD or else there is a conversion fee of 0.5% initially while topping up the account. Trade212 can do the same or they should atleast allow old customers to switch investment account from GBP to USD base currency.

3 Likes

I dont see a problem paying a 0.15% FX fee on trades, if you buy/sell thats 0.3%, not that bad. Also if that 0.15% fee allows for better service and to use platform for such minimal cost, its all good.
Maybe this fee will allow T212 to expand more, get Level2 data and extended hours for all markets were possible.
And its capitalism economy, companies need to make money.

I agree, this really sucks ! Let us change currency, or it shouldnā€™t be retroactive : let us sell all we already had without fee.

1 Like