Introduction of FX Conversion Fee

I donā€™t see the major issue here unless Iā€™m thick as ****. unless youā€™re buying non UK stocks at a rapid pace all day every day youā€™re hardly being robbed put it this way Iā€™d rather trading 212 be here in 10+ years time so I can realise my true gains which is the whole point of using their services in my opinion.

1 Like

Why would you need t212 to exist to have long term gains you just move your portfolio when the time comes.

And there are synthetic stocks that you need to buy and sell daily

Transferring your portfolio / shares isnā€™t an option with 212 currently or at least last time I checked.

That is correct. If anything were to happen that would cause you to need to sell up and transfer elsewhere you would lose the bid-offer spread and might gain or lose from market movement. The bid-offer spread on ETFs is typically 0.10-0.20%. On popular US shares it can be tiny. Coca-Cola has bid and offer that differ by only $0.01 per share. Worst case is UK shares, where a new 0.5% stamp duty has to be paid.

Not only that but youā€™d now be charged an FX fee on your sell orders :joy:

Youā€™ve still got a month left on your existing positions to do it for free.

1 Like

But its a long term investment it can happily sit there for 5 to 10 years till t212 introduce the feature voluntarily, are forced to introduce the feature but advancing consumer rights laws or they go bankrupt and IB does it for you instead.

As a matter of fact you can. You havenā€™t searched enough

Was a genuine question from me. I donā€™t know because I arenā€™t looking seriously.

Whereā€™s cheaper?

Yeah, @mdmmica, I want to know too.

1 Like

You donā€™t need to pay taxes when you sell the stocks?

Hi @Investor212 this thread is about fees not taxes. T212 are not responsible for setting tax rules and normal taxation applies.

And broker account is not bank account :wink:

I canā€™t see anywhere on the thread where anyone said that T212 is indeed a bank account but you are correct ā€œbroker account is not bank accountā€.

You wrote that stupid example. ā€œIf you donā€™t like the fees, go somewhere elseā€ What did you pay to switch the bank account? 0?
Stock transfer is still not possible on T212. So if I donā€™t like the fees, I should sell all my stocks, pay all the taxes (% depends on country) and buy them again somewhere else.
It could be thousands of EUR.

1 Like

Your argument about taxes doesnt stand. You will pay the same tax whether you sell now or when there is an FX fee. Your additional cost is 0.15% FX fee. Not additional tax.

Transfers will come at some point so there is nothing to stop you waiting and then transferring. If you are a long term investor there is no need to suddenly liquidate all your positions because there is a fee.

I am talking about current situation and ā€œgo somewhere else argumentā€. Switch is either possible with selling everything and paying the taxes or just accept the fees.

And current positions are fx free untill May.

So all this simple examples makes no sense. In all cases it will cost you no money.

1 Like

Each individual needs to sit down and see what works best for them. Frequent traders who hold for very short periods are likely to be able to sell any open positions before they are impacted by the FX fee (I mean very frequent traders who may not even hold for longer than a few days), if not already closed.

Long term investors have two options. The first is to continue to invest and accept that over the period, their profit will reduce by 0.15%. For a long term investor this is not a significant amount at all (I accept that it is still a reduction in profit). The second option is to continue investing and then transfer your holdings to another broker when the functionality comes.

Then there are the others who are trading over a slightly longer time period but are not making long term investments. Thats where they need to decide whether or not to sell and realise any losses/profits or to wait and again take a 0.15% hit on their profits.

Regardless of any of the above scenarios, the maximum additional loss per investment or trade is 0.15%.

1 Like

Having multiple base currencies, or ability to change base currency would fix most of the problems it seems to meā€¦ why not do that ?

2 Likes

Hi,
Are there any plans to provide a view of the fees charged? e.g. Iā€™m investing in a mix of Ā£ and $ shares through a pie and I would like to see how much has been deducted for fx fees.

2 Likes