January sales: what have you been buying?

Yeah me too. Wanna buy a kidney?

4 Likes

Could be talking about any tech/growth stock :smiley:

Just hoping they all stop around that point and resume normal service.

1 Like

I personally feel, this is just beginning. Big caps only starting to roll over. :partying_face:

+1 kidney from me, if anyone is interested.

And hopefully soon after, there will be a place for growth stocks to grow. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Unfortunately I feel the same! But this has gone exactly how I suggested it might way back in 2020 when I was first getting involved with T212 and this forum (took me an age to find the post!);

Although now it feels a bit over-egged and a lot of these are likely to fall to abnormal/unrealistic levels (look at STNE) by way of overreaction. Will it be another 18 months before tech bounces back to a reasonable level? Bl00dy hope not!

3 Likes

Plenty of time to accumulate though.

2 Likes

Yeah but I only need til April :wink: They can gladly return to Mars after thatā€¦ pleaseā€¦?? :smiley:

You want tech to fall further?

1 Like

Obviously we all have different time horizons and how long we lock up the investments/money for but for those of us who are still a way off retirement, and not using investments for income (ie we have a day job) then this down periods shouldnā€™t worry too much unless you have invested heavily in companies that are going to 0 or down like 80-90% and wont ever recover. If you have portfolio of mostly these types then idea to look at diversifying slightly.

Keep adding regular new money into quality businesses and if you have judged it well you should be fine long term.

My adds to far in the month (in size order):

Boston Omaha
Unilever (now that deal looks deadā€¦)
Nelnet
ATVI (now closed position due to buyout)
China A shares ETF

1 Like

Not at all, but I wouldnā€™t mind it grinding where it is til April when I top up my ISA.

I wouldnā€™t actually mind another year or so in the doldrums while I continue to accumulate.

Well i personally have long term pie, pension pie and short term ā€œbetsā€.

So obviously if we talk first 2 you dont care about market, as it is regular monthly investment. So current price is not of such high relevance.

But when talking about short term speculation is where all this matter.

It seems we are in pattern of volatility. Lower highs, lower lows. But if you catch low and pinpoint highs. Which seem relatively simple, on days wher3 everything drops 10% buy anything of value. Then in day or two it pops 10%ā€¦

Can make 10-15% on some very volitile growth stocksā€¦

5 Likes

Yesterday Action
Add position: AMD (Advanced Micro Devices)
New position: SHOP (Shopify)

1 Like

for short term I use options and hit the jackpot with PG earnings day.
which is my general option strategy (opposite of brown-field-investment strategy from the big short)

for long I bought bunch of MA, HD, DGE.L
a little CCC.L and ROKU

Iā€™m watching for some drops in Boeing and airbus meanwhile, of which I managed to open super lucky positions when the pandemic hit hard in 2020

1 Like

@kali which platform are you using to trade option, is itavailable in the UK ? Is it IBKR ??

I use tastyworks/tastytrade, it is a US company and their platform is entirely optimized for options IBKR is a poor replacement for option trading :slight_smile:

there is like a 2 day delay for depositing into US (and you have to do it from a bank, things like revolut fail) But you can withdraw into your revolut and it is almost on the same day depending on time of the day. If you withdraw in multiples of $9999 it does not trigger any random SEC checks.

if you search in this forum, Iā€™ve posted several screenshots from tastytrade about how an option trading UI looks.

1 Like

Likely smart mate, GSK deal looks all but dead with Peltz on the scene.

1 Like

Stocks gone up 6% since the news came out, glad i did buy some more when i had the chance.

Keeping an eye on Vodafone just now :wink:

Whatā€™s your take on Persimmon?