Make funds time for auto invest configurable

Currently funds are auto-invested at 8:00 am. For European markets, this essentially means the funds will be invested when the market opens.

However when markets open, the spreads are high and it’s not a good time to buy. I normally wait some hours to buy.

It would be really helpful to set a purchase time for each pie at which funds are auto-invested.

7 Likes

Hey.

That’s an interesting suggestion, @HuskyDogg, and I’ve passed it on for consideration. I will let you know if we have any news regarding such a feature.

2 Likes

It’s a good point @HuskyDogg reminds me back to something I read not so long ago:

If you had bought the SPY at the last second of trading on each business day since 1993 and sold at the market open the next day — capturing all of the net after-hour gains — your cumulative price gain would be 571 percent.

On the other hand, if you had done the reverse, buying the E.T.F. at the first second of regular trading every morning at 9:30 a.m. and selling at the 4 p.m. close, you would be down 4.4 percent since 1993.

Buying at market open isnt always the best time to buy.

2 Likes

Would you not want to buy when the market is most liquid? What would be helpful, is to actually see the average long term spread at open / mid / close. Anything else is just about trying to time the market right?

Then an option to set your auto investments on an hourly basis, perhaps. This would allow users to go with open, or a specified hour, so the option is open to us as investors. For 212, it would then allow it to aggregate and net / take a profit on the spread for any stocks they dont have to go out and trade in the market.

1 Like

Coming back to this suggestion, can I ask if it was ever considered?

Allowing users to choose an hour range that the auto invest executes would be goodin my opinion.

2 Likes

Making the auto-invest feature more flexible remains on our ‘To-do’ list. Right now, I can’t confirm whether there will be an option to select a precise hour for the investment, but we plan to expand the deposit/auto-invest schedules.