Markets up, profits down

Almost all of my holdings are green today and yet I’ve gone from +100 to -300 Polish zloty - a swing of well over 1%.

I’ve checked currency rates online and there doesn’t seem to be any significant change in rates between Polish zloty and funds held in EUR/GBP/USD. My so-called fx-impact is hugely down on every investment, however. As much as 3% in some cases.

Am I missing something?

If you go on the app to a stock and scroll down to return and click the down arrow it should show the gain and the FX impact.

1 Like

Well I checked Zloty vs EUR/GBP/USD.

There is 1% change on daily chart since 10:00 till now, for EUR/GBP.

While USD is almost 2% change.

2 Likes

My USD holdings are all down approx 2%. GBP is minus 1.8% on average.

The loss is more than significant:

*Note: DPYA closed at +0.58%

2% is a lot, right? That’s not an every day move?

I went short on EUR.USD (long dollar) today, with 240K$. Unbelievable to see a 1% move. I’m hoping it comes down lol. Otherwise swallowing the loss.

3 Likes

Indeed, on a day where i done some conversion as well. Of course before sharp change, so paid more for USD.

@saifali dang, you are brave. :slight_smile:

One of things made me hesitate to invest more in USD market, this obvious downtrend of USD vs all EU currencies… If back to historical average, around 15-20% room to fall still.

3 Likes

Would it make any difference to buy more shares of those stocks that have a big fx-impact in the negative? You know, much like cost-averaging?

if the FX rate starts to move in the direction needed to reduce your currency losses, DCA your shares can allow for that FX rate to hit net neutral a bit sooner as it also averages.

1 Like

Great, thanks Dao. I thought that would be the case but I was wanted to check my logic :grinning: