(New feature) Gifting Stocks

Have a nice idea to be able to gift a friend or loved one a stock.
For birthdays or for Xmas, it would be a nice gift to be able to give someone a particular stock of you’re own choosing.

Not sure how easy it would be to implement this as you may need a friend list or you could generate a redemption code that can be emailed directly.

Tell me what you think!?

18 Likes

It would also be nice to provide an easy way for married or civil partnership spouses to transfer stocks between themselves. For UK taxpayers this can be done without any stamp duty or capital gains tax consequences, but enables a couple to re-balance their holdings from time to time, so that dividend and CGT tax liabilities are incurred in the most efficient way. I know that Interactive Investor and AJ Bell do make this easy. You need only write to say, "Please transfer my shares in Unilever to my partner, whose account with you is … ". They do this for no fee. AJ Bell requires only a simple message. Interactive Investor asks one to complete a stock transfer form (which is easy to do).

12 Likes

This would be definitely great if possible. I have stopped giving presents for various occasions and I prefer to invest in a gift that will hopefully keep on giving. Instead of a PS5 it would be great to gift my son Sony shares instead.

8 Likes

I was thinking along the same line today.

1 Like

Or a trading 212 gift card

4 Likes

Fantastic idea!

I was just searching the forums to see if it’s possible for Christmas! It’s a fantastic way for us to give great gifts, Trading212 to gain new customers, but also attract more people to long term investing and building wealth.

Share gifting and the creation a JISA product are (in my opinion) two of the best forward thinking ideas for both the business and customer.

It would be great to see either/both of these implemented!

3 Likes

I found this post as I too would like to see this feature. I think it would be really something to gift some stock to my neice/nephew, so they can’t touch it until they are 18. Really wish my family did something like this when I was young. Just to have that nest egg for when I was older.

Otherwise gifting stocks is a nice way to have people interested.

4 Likes

I have just noticed that Interactive Investor now makes it extremely easy to make gift stock transfers between spouses. They also allow in specie gift transfer this way between others (adult child, other family member, friend) which is free of stamp duty, (but with a capital gains tax liability created.)

It is done with a simple form. You just enter the other person’s account number and postcode, choose the stocks and amounts you wish to transfer and then tick boxes below. This is really useful for re-balancing dividend tax and capital gains tax liabilities. It would be great if Trading 212 could offer the same. (In the UK it is possible for one spouse to be paying 0% or 7.5% on dividends and 10% on capital gains, while the partner is paying 38.1% and 20%.)

5 Likes

I came to the forum to see if this was possible, would be a great feature!

1 Like

a cool feature for birthdays gifts

Hope this gets implemented in 2021

1 Like

sounds like an idea that will get abused by scammers etc

1 Like

I like :+1:

Many good ideas here in the community

Can you elaborate this, please?

Likely much easier to implement as well.

I just searched for exactly this feature, would be an excellent addition if possible. :+1:

1 Like

Guys gift me Tesla 1 stock to get 2 stocks back
Gift me Tesla 10 stock to get 20 stocks back
Gift me Tesla 100 stocks to get 200 stocks

Oh wow what great deal…gift stocks…

Oh I just lost my stocks.

There are too many gullible people that will get scammed left right and centre…

On a side note, I always found it strange that gullible is the only word omitted from the Oxford English dictionary.

3 Likes

Other brokers have been happy to provide this facility for years so it seems likely that scams are not really a problem in practice. The facility is mainly of use to UK spouses, since transfer between such can be done without capital gains tax being triggered. For added safety, it would be possible to have two users on Trading 212 registered as legal spouses. That’s what we have done on the AJ Bell platform.

Since the capital gains tax basis receives a step-up at death it is common tax planning practice to transfer all share-holdings into the name of the one of the couple that is about to die, … if that can be foreseen. That way, the one who is left starts with 0 pregnant capital gains tax liability.

2 Likes

Yea I can see that being useful.
But I would be surprised if you don’t have to pay any tax on that.