Newbie building my first ever portfolio

@pipo can tell you all about compounding.

1 Like

p.s. Also I would recommend David Bach’s short book “The Latte Factor” that explains everything in a very simple language if you want to understand the power of compounding.

1 Like

or buy the next amazon! MELI :slight_smile:

Kali where you get that pie from that’s really smart.

My two pennies’ worth on the intial post…

Great first portfolio all in all. Back in the day, my first consisted of a share in my favourite football club (Celtic), which I probably made an instant 100% loss on due to the extortionate commission from my bank, so take my comments with a giant pinch of salt! :joy:

Anyway, some solid UK dividend payers there. As the pandemic’s shown, dividends can suddenly evaporate in some industries, so I’d look to add companies in sectors which, at a glance, you don’t seem to have covered.

I’m thinking banking, oil and gas, construction and property, media, leisure, telecoms, transport and utilities. Other consumer goods companies such as ULVR and one of the big miners like RIO could be worth a look too.

That said, there’s nothing particularly wrong with your picks, especially as you have some of those sectors covered by US stocks.

However, I no longer hold a high-yield portfolio personally, so I’d suggest targeting growth instead, especially if you’re youngish and in the accumulation phase. Nothing wrong with a bit of both, but I’d imagine you’re heavily weighted towards income.

its a very detailed piece of software don’t get intimidated start slow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
I think you could be right, not sure if dividend is the way to go for me right now actually. Most UK holdings have cut the dividend i think, US is still ok though. I don’t need any dividends paid to me right now, i would like growth. I do see an awful lot of dividend stocks just seem to trade sideways, or very slow growth. Am i correct in saying it’s probably better to to have a growth portfolio to start, to try and get as much growth as poss, and then as i get older start to get more involved with dividend paying stocks! By having more growth now will allow me to purchase more stocks in any particle company later down the line (10, 15yrs).
I’m going to thin the portfolio right down i think, buy into maybe Etf VUSA, EQQQ to start with and start slowly…Just then start to buy into a few growth paying dividend stocks, Hopefully there’s a few on my list…everyday is a learning day, i’m changing and thinking, reading & watching. Hopefully it’ll help me and maybe stop me being a complete idiot, wasting time and more importantly, losing any money!
Thanks again everyone, love the feedback…

“Particular” was the word i should of used…

That’s the perceived wisdom, yes. If you have no real need for the income, go with growth.

I’d say you’re on the right track with your adjustments.

Yeah, it’s so handy to be able to post here and learn from others’ mistakes before you make them.

How do you input your holdings?
Do you have to put them in manually one by one?

You can try importing contract notes for the transactions, but even if one field is off I enter them manually. On average I have less than 30 trades per month so not a big deal for myself.

1 Like