NIO Inc ISA eligibility

Excellent stuff. Good to see II finally admit defeat with SE. Yet they maintain NIO is eligible? Weird.

1 Like

@Finki I tried IQIYI and Baidu on stockopedia they are also shows ISA eligibleā€¦ so I wont trust them and perhaps the data they show is outdated.

Stockopedia is not an authoritative source.

Evidenced by the fact that even licensed ā€˜ISA Managersā€™ can not get it correct and they are mandated by the HMRC and FCA to abide by the rules. Stockopedia is highly likely just scraping data from a brokerā€¦who is also wrong.

Honestly, I checked a few more brokers out this morningā€¦ many, many mistakes.

Hello@finki.io to discuss FinKi ISA Compliance API :+1:

3 Likes

Hi all, I might try contacting HRMC for further guidance on this matter. Again, from the information I can find it does seem NIO Inc should be eligible as ā€˜I believeā€™ their primary exchange is the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange.

I am however not 100% on this and was wondering if @Finki knows for certain what the primary exchange is for NIO. And if so, how were you able to find this information out as it seems pretty difficult to come by. Thanks!

1 Like

I believe that he was not able to establish whether it is eligible and hence concluded that in the absence of the information it had to be deemed ineligible.

Fair enough, Iā€™ll wait for a reply from him/her but yeah, I do see that as a logical conclusion. It might be worth contacting NIO directly which I might also do. It would definitely clear up a lot of confusion.

2 Likes

Yeah, NIO is incorporated in the Caymans but not listed. Regulatory filings show the ADSs based off Class A Ordinary deposits. There is no public market in the Class A Ords. Search the CSX websiteā€¦ no NIO to be found. Therefore the FinKi machine still says ā€˜Noā€™ in the absence of further info.

Lord

:fist:

ā€¦

1 Like

Why exactly is NIO not allowed? Is it because HMRC think itā€™s a dodgy shell company or something? Is it trying to protect the average Joe from fraud or risk?

Iā€™m not from UK so donā€™t know much about ISAs.

1 Like

ISA is a tax free wrapper that you can only put ā€œcertainā€ instruments in it. There is a list of things that you can put HMRC published.

If we could put ā€œanythingā€ that resembles a share, me and some friends couldā€™ve incorporated a ā€œbusinessā€ in British Virgin Islands, issued shares for it, and bought these shares in our ISA, and completed a 100% tax free circle of life :slight_smile:

That is why a ā€œshareā€ can be hold in an ISA if and only if it is listed on a recognised board of a recognised exchange.

NIO is not a share it is an ADR. Again you can put an ADR/ADS in your ISA but it MUST have an underlying share (again) that is listed in a recognised exchange.

1 Like

OK thanks for the explanation. We are 90% there! So NIO doesnā€™t have any real shares on a recognized exchange? Not even in China or anywhere?

1 Like

Well technically every company with more than one partner has shares. NIO also has shares, just the shares are not listed on any public exchange. Their listing on NYSE is an ADR (American depository receipt)

When you are walking into a restaurant you give your coat to them and they give you a ā€œreceiptā€ that says ā€œ1 blue raincoat hang on number 23ā€

When you buy 1 NEO ADR from NYSE, you get a receipt that says ā€œ4 ordinary NIO sharesā€

Nope.
Class A ords on which the ADS is based is not publicly traded

The FinKi AutoISA machine is only ever 99.9% accurate but it scans all exchanges and regulatory filings and key features of the asset in its calculation. For NIO it has always said no. Many many months ago it said no. Just sayinā€™. :blush:

It also highlights that T212 have other errors!:frowning:

If you do contact NIO, let us know :slight_smile:.

So t212 have forced sales within the ISA and left the ISA account with the profit/loss?
Thatā€™s the approach they took? That feels wrong to me.

3 Likes

My nio and kitov was forcefully sold off by t212 lost 500Ā£ oin this morning

1 Like

And the profit/loss left in the ISA? ā€¦

NIO is till being offered in Freetrade ppl.

Inside an ISA though?

Not in the ISA itā€™s not, noā€¦ see here

https://finki.io/stockSearch_brokers.php?ticker=NIO&mic=XNYS&isin=US62914V1061

ā€¦but if you look around hard enough youā€™ll find some brokers that still offer it (wrongly) in an ISA ā€¦ because peoples ISA Eligibility compliance is TERRIBLEā€¦

For example, I got suspended from the FT forum for saying CMPS was not ISA eligible and they are wrongā€¦ so they suspended meā€¦

You can still get CMPS (incorrectly) in a FT ISA

https://finki.io/stockSearch_brokers.php?ticker=CMPS&mic=XNAS&isin=US20451W1018

There are loads of errors across FT and T212ā€¦ because people donā€™t pay enough attention to this matter !!!

ā€¦and as for Stokopediaā€¦ well, Iā€™ve offered them data a few timesā€¦they think NIO is ISA eligible tooā€¦ which is it NOTā€¦so maybe donā€™t pay for their dataā€¦as itā€™s WRONG