Oil Futures Rollover - URGENT

No worries :+1:

Would appreciate any input on this, if anyone else has any other views! - @David / @Vedran maybe?

@BigShort The idea of a rollover is not to close the position. You can just click x & open a new one if you wish to avoid the correction but that beats the whole point.

Hello Matt, so how did the MAY OIL contract end up for you?

Terrible. I lost a fortune. But. ā€¦I got very lucky. I took what was left in an all or nothing gamble and shorted the june contract. Fortunately it fell all the way to $10 and I actually came away with what Iā€™d lost and more. Totally my own fault and I laid for a lack of understanding of futures contracts and an extreme set of circumstances. Lesson learnt.

Hi Matt
me too! my posts keep getting removed by moderators. I do like T212.
how can we have a private chat?

Thereā€™s no real need for a private chat. It was what it was. Done now. On to the next investment. Good luck .

You can click nickname of person and there you will se ā€œmessageā€ option

Oki, good luck to you too.

sorry matey - one last thingā€¦
just to let you know , I spoke to the CME the following day the instrument was liquid and tradingā€¦
FYI - got it in writing and conference call with CME Market investigators.

we could have bought negative and our accounts would have been credited with fundsā€¦ whilst watching the price crash in disbelief ā€“ someone screwed us , not mentioning any names- fair market playing field?? google Interactive brokers oil price crash.

This is proper general after battle speech :slight_smile:

Easy to speak in hindsight when you know all the data, would you buy again long position after seeing fortune sink ? I doubt it. At time you didnā€™t know how much negative would it go. Was -4 bottom, -30ā€¦ I think majority got saved by block of trading.
You should thank t212 for saving you $$$.

Like your colleague said, lesson learned, move onā€¦

1 Like

I agree Vedran. I had no one to blame but myself. And I suspect T212 can suspend trading whenever is reasonable really. I bet itā€™s in the contract somewhere. Itā€™s done now. No amount of ā€œwhat ifā€ or ā€œsomeone did somethingā€ is going to change it.
Iā€™m out of oil futures, just too volatile right now. Even though the June contract is riding high, I wonder what will happen Tues on expiry againā€¦it will probably be ok but too big a risk right now.

2 Likes

Sour grapes by me? no. I can stomach the loss. Hang on secā€¦ you missing the point a negative price means you get paid to buy. PERIOD. give me that opportunity & to find out - later I find out there was liquidity and news articles all over the world / CME saying the same thing. I thank T212 for an excellent platform. It is good and precise. But to arbitrarily suspend the market , when , again there was liquidity.
Read the real news ā€¦ & play fair. If prices are negative , thatā€™s not the little guys problem, rather someone elseā€™s. But the little guy paid for it.
The rollover was not the point. we had 3-4 hours of trading left. Get thatā€¦ suspension went on when others were trading. CME states it is for 20 seconds maxā€¦ not 3-4 hours

I am by no means CFD expertā€¦ but when you go long/short in CFD you dont ā€œownā€ anything, you just bet price will go up or down.

So no you donā€™t get paid to buy, you bet price would go up, but before it went up it dropped 305%ā€¦

I am not math expert but if you went long for 10k , you would need to have nice margine on your account to survive the drop without getting wipedā€¦

well my trading stopped at 1$ not Zero. and yes, I had plenty in my account that all got sucked up & then they rolled over - further more , when I asked T212 for further infoā€¦about the rollover & liquidity I get the standard response. So who was on the other side of my trade if the exchange was trading and T212 was NOT,? I think this where the answers stop - no answers is very suspicious.
Iā€™m no Michael Lewis, but Iā€™d like some answers as to who stopped the liquidity when the Exchange is trading. & Iā€™m not Naive enough to think T212 did me a favour. If they did ā€“ tell me ā€¦ they wonā€™t - again read the Interactive brokers story on OIL.

OK, one in a billion but it happened on that day , either way a negative price meant we can lower average our priceā€¦ the point about trading - you get luckyā€¦ ( but we werenā€™t on the CMEā€¦ we were trading against ā€¦who??? I can only speculate and it was in their interest to cut liquidity - get that point ā€¦everyone who lost on April 20th because when the rules donā€™t suit someone , so we lose out.
Apart from this , I like T212 , a lot. 3-4 hours suspension is my gripe - not so much the losses. The time to evaluate a price - go long / short etcā€¦ you turn on the TV and Bloomberg TV is showing price moving. - your broker has suspended it. Come on???

I would understand your frustration if you were shorting aka winning and they stopped you.

Reflect, learn, implement, winā€¦

the suspension stopped me (and everyone else who was long ) from winning -it was most prob. technical glitchā€¦ once in a lifetime glitch-Interactive brokers my friendā€¦
but thank you for the words of wisdom, nonetheless.