Question About Dividend Investing

Hi I’m new too, I haven’t been particularly focusing on dividend stocks but I stumbled across this which seems a good match for what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Based on current pricing that would give you a dividend yield of near 7% even with adjusted EPS for 21/22, I think this stock is a bargain. Only way is up for BT, so undervalued with all this emphasis on tech. None of this tech would work without BTs infrastructure lol.
Technically also if you look at price history it’s peaks and troughs and we’ve hit a bottom, 5G is will lead to new highs and the investments needed will come from dividend savings which will also be used to reduce debt.

1 Like

Yeah, at the current price that’s still a good dividend when it returns.

BT have had two main goals at the moment, 5g which is the reason for the dividend suspension, and all the old crap they still have laying around. BT is still incredibly inefficient in many areas and filled with unneeded middle managers. They’ve been changing this but it’s a really slow process.

The core of the business is good and they have many profitable business units outside of what people know them for.

1 Like

My biggest concern on dividend portfolios is that most people seems to think about only the magical passive income but do not care much about the capital growth.
Many of the “best high yield” stocks has very poor short term and long term performance comparing to S&P 500 and Nasdaq indexes.

Not many people really needs the passive income, they want to compounding their capital, then it’s purely math, if stock A even paying 3% dividend underperform the indexes by 2% (adjusted to annual dividend growths)… guess what will give you more capital gains after 10 years?

I used to check many of those articles about dividend portfolios, you really have to filter them out because they are full of stocks that underperform the indexes, or includes very cyclical stocks that had amazing performance in last 2 or 3 years and when you look on 5, 10, 20 years… they are 20% below the market (included dividends).

1 Like

Don’t forget that the Huawei ban will have huge cost implications also. 5G equipment will need to be sourced elsewhere at a higher price most likely. While also needing to remove and replace any existing 5G Huawei gear by 2027, which I’m guessing is pretty extensive because the rollout has been planned for a while.

1 Like

I’m sure BT will get some form of compensation or the government will make it up to them through some commercial offering, amortizing through a new contract or something …(save face). Also it doesn’t apply to 3G/4G and the price action has taken this into account. Note this isn’t only BT who are affected…

No doubt it’s all priced in. I was just trying to say that the road to recovery could be a long one. There is also no guarantee that the dividend will be restored to anywhere near the previous amount. If/when they start paying again. In my opinion there is a large opportunity cost being paid by not being in a company with large international presence and revenues, or even just a simple index tracker.

The change in dividend was discussed above. Still a healthy yield with capital to gains to follow from its reinstatement and increased earnings post Corona and live sports.

That is my opinion though and I could be totally wrong.

@Little22 Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know!

I think I may still invest. I agree with you and @Gfclappah that even after a 50% cut it will still give a good dividend when they return + i think if they find themselves in any trouble, the government will bail them out.

A portfolio of AVGO, AMT, NEE would work :joy::moneybag:if only I knew 10 years ago, I’d be rich now

1 Like

I’ve found it difficult to shut my ears to the youtubers screaming FINANCIAL FREEDOM, RETIRE EARLY and BIG BIG GAINS - LOADSA MONEY through dividend investing. I was scared to just invest in all of the shares i listed above without trying to get some proper perspective from people on here which is why i started the thread.

Started looking into investment trusts as well to try and minimise my risks and assist with diversification and manageability of my portfolio. Some don’t pay dividends like the Allianz Tech Trust but i like the holdings so it is attractive to me.

Would welcome anyone’s views/experiences with investment trusts. I’m currently looking at Scottish Mortgage Trust, City of London, Law Debenture and Allianz Tech.

SMT does quite well and has interesting holdings

1 Like

it seems really popular. I like that it has a big position on Tesla so if i add it to the portfolio along with the other funds in my SIPP, i won’t feel like i’m missing out.

1 Like

Topps Tiles isn’t a bad little investment either.

Random I know :rofl:.

It’s great for them, they want your view/like/subscribe/click the bell icon :clown_face:

2 Likes

Play with fire get burned, they’re all full of crap. If I was minted I wouldn’t be posting videos on YouTube I’d be with my hareem in my palace getting rinsed every day travelling from one place to the next like a nomad.

1 Like

yeah i see the high dividend yield and that it has good dividend cover but i’m nervous about investing in individual retail stock right now with all of the predictions of a next coronovirus wave/lockdown etc.

have you been invested for long? do you have a lot of money in it? are you nervous at all about how they would handle another lockdown?

a hareem full of rinsers? Sounds expensive! i give it a year before you’re making fire videos for money and telling us all to move back into our mother’s basement, get rid of our phones, cars, spendy friends and invest 100% of all of our earnings now for a richer life in the future :smile:

…always wondered how the fire community on youtube could call themselves retired when they obviously spend hours filming and editing youtube videos for money.

It’s retired because they don’t have to do it for the money, they are just bored af with nothing to do :joy:

1 Like