Start small and don’t jump!

Just wanted to give some perspective on this particular moment:

In the article about Buffet’s bet it is explained that they made the bet before market tanked.

“Not long after the wager started on January 1, 2008, the market tanked, and the hedge funds were able to show off their strong suit: hedging. Buffett’s index fund lost 37.0% of its value, compared to the hedge funds’ 23.9%. Buffett then beat Protégé in every year from 2009 through 2014, but it took four years to pull ahead of the hedge funds in terms of cumulative return.”

So one of the main strenght of ETF’s to date is that they win long term if the person is patient enough.

1 Like

Not many markets can claim that tbh, US market, is one of few. Lets say you are European , you want to invest in EU companies, I doubt you would be very well off betting EU ETFs. Some never recovered after 00, some never recovered since 08.

Remember Japan…

In hindsight yes you can claim that, however not all want to invest in US tho.

Who is to say that US bubble will ever recover after one of next depressions/recessions.
“This time it could be different.”

It all boils down to how much time/effort you want to invest. Some want to put money and never look at it again nor invest time to do research etc. Ofc for those ETFs are perfect vehicle.

For those that take it as hobby, I doubt ETF is a challange…

Anyway you boil it down, those that have discipline to put money asside for the future will reach goal. This is just debate on how you reach it.

3 Likes

Still reading the forum and realise people still aren’t taking their time to understand EVERYTHING without jumping in head first.

Reading the T’s and C’s with a fine tooth comb. #key

High level of financial risk yet people still seem to fling their money about especially as the world economy is so unpredictable right now.

Followed all the advice given and looks like research paid off.

Still in practice mode on invest platform but this looks very healthy.

Slow and steady snail.

Out of 36 invested (demo) companies there’s only 4 currently running at a loss :grinning:
What a wild journey this past 6 weeks has been!

1 Like

I think pretty much anything you invested in since 23rd March is up 20-30% on Average. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wish it was real money now :smirk:

Well you will have plenty of opportunities to buy at great price. I doubt we are going straight to ATH. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, I think everyones sentiment right now is a wait until the next drop.
Keeping some money on the sidelines for the next drop is probably the safest bet.

VIX may be down a bit, but I think it will go back to 50’s soon again.

@CeeGee it wouldn’t hurt to use the next dip as a buy-in and start with some real money.

£100 fake money still feels different to £100 real, weirdly enough. :face_with_monocle: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Started using real money. Definitely feels more real when it’s your own.

Could someone tell me what’s the difference in RDSA and RDSB with the shell stocks? They both appear to be identical in regards to company details so can’t figure it out?

Also as a retail client (and I did read the client agreement throughly before signing but can’t see this answered) what’s the max trades per month you can understand?

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

RDSB is the one you want if your UK.
Otherwise your dividends will have European tax applied, (I believe).

Also, there is no limit on max trades. Go crazy :smiley:

1 Like

And when they get it wrong blame either the platform or T212

Ah that’s great thanks. I think it’s 15% tax if google hasn’t lied to me.

Thank you RDSB it is :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Another question from me, would love to be pointed in the right direction :slightly_smiling_face:

In regards to dividends in the UK market are these paid yearly? Just getting in there early to ask the question.

Is there someone on the purchased stocks you are able to see the date it’s paid or is it just in April when tax year ends…and the money (if not suspended due to the current crisis) just goes into your free funds.

Or is there a website you can head to?

Thanks so much. CeeGee

Dividends are paid by whatever schedule the company decides. Can be annually, quarterly or monthly.

There are two dates that pertain to dividends. The first being the Ex-dividend date. You must hold the shares before this date to be eligible for the dividend. The second is the dividend date. This is the date when the company will pay out the dividend. This does not mean you will recieve the dividend on that date because of transfer times between company to broker to you.

Dividend max is pretty good for showing upcoming and past dividends: https://www.dividendmax.com/

Use justETF for well, ETFs:
https://www.justetf.com

1 Like

Ah brilliant thank you so much for that info :grinning:

I have to say too that I never have to wait more than an hour or so for a reply and every time I get a reply it’s ALWAYS so helpful and my query has been resolved.

Honestly what a great forum and some super helpful people on it :slight_smile:

Thank you

#appreciationvibes

7 Likes

@CeeGee Yeah. I felt in love with this community (t212 support included) and this is 50% of why I had decided to stay ( 50% is the awsome services and the trading212 bussiness model).Most of the people here are soo nice and understanding. Let’s keep it that way :innocent:

4 Likes

I presently have investments with Merril Lynch, AJ Bell, Interactive Invester, Degiro and Trading 212. I have studied the offerings of Hargreaves Lansdown, Revolut. IG, Interactive Brokers and Freetrade. So I think I have a pretty good overview of what brokers offer.

I find myself visiting this site much than the other platforms and am presently placing most of my new investing with Trading 212. There are many reasons, but one of the most important is the personal engagement of investors and staff in the Community. I hope this continues as the client base grows larger.

7 Likes

It’s been nearly two weeks since I asked a question (I’ve done well) can I ask advice - I’d like to invest in EFT’s alongside the 10 independents I’m already invested in.

These Vanguards are all doing well on my invest “demo” account. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which ones are the “better” ones? (So to speak)

As always lol, the answer is: It depends. Each fund represents a different market / mix of markets. The best would be, the best for what you want.

Historically though, the S&P 500 has performed the best. But that is no guarantee of future performance.

Edit: Full disclosure, I actually own every one of those funds also. I’m more heavily weighted into VFEM though. Also, the HSBC FTSE 100 fund is preferrable over Vanguard because of the lower expense ratio. I’m sure my mix is not entirely optimal, and the All worlds are kinda redundent. But oh well lol.

Another decision to make is if you want the fund to be distributing or accumulating. Do you want the dividend or would you like it reinvested automatically.

1 Like