Tesla Maximum Traded Quantity for Long Positions

I checked yesterday and the maximum traded quantity for long positions in Tesla in CFD was 100. I have more than 100 shares in my test account so I wondered whether the maximum value should’ve been 5x to 500 due to the stock split, or had it just been reduced?

Today the value has been further reduced to 10. The price has dipped today and this limitation has prevented me from buying more shares. My pending orders triggered and were immediately cancelled due to “insufficient funds”.

Can somebody please provide a detailed explanation of what’s going on?

This is a regular occurrence with various stocks and is actually getting boring now.

Is it because everybody and their grandmother currently has Tesla CFDs?

edit: I can see that the max quantity for me is now 50. (Now that the share price is going down.)

1 Like

First and foremost, we’re not restricting anybody personally. The max quantities for each instrument are dynamic and we alter them according to our perception of risk suitability at the present moment. Last but not least, we’re obliged to control the exposure by the regulator.

Maximum trading quantities, both long & short, are subject to immediate change, without prior notice, depending on multiple factors such as:

1. Underlying market conditions - which includes insufficient liquidity & unfavourable trading conditions.
  2. Control of exposure
3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

However I’m unfamiliar with much of the language used in your answer. For example, what do “our perception of risk suitability”, “insufficient liquidity”, “unfavourable trading conditions” and “control of exposure” mean?

Could you provide specifics about what happened to Tesla today please? Why was it 10 and then 50? Was the process automated or manual?

1 Like

Its so difficult to trade with T212, it seems when you’re at risk from making profit as a customer they widen the spread, slow executions, suspend instruments, or reduce quantity to maximise profit for themselves.

That’s what you get for using a “free” platform unfortunately.

2 Likes

Echo this.

Sad that CFD customers are treated so poorly, considering until recently they pretty much kept the entire platform afloat.

1 Like

The fees are increasing too even as the stock price goes down. Swap fee was 0.109829 to go long yesterday. Now it’s 0.117245 even though the fee has not increased here: https://iborrowdesk.com/report/TSLA

(note: I use the above link as a barometer for checking stock availability and if swap fees make sense. Not sure if it’s the correct way to go about it. I’m open to correction.)

Another thing to keep an eye on @Supraman @ryan9921 @Hectares

I wish they made this more visible.

2 Likes

@Supraman In a nutshell, it all depends on how much exposure we can take & how much we can efficiently hedge.

When we have to limit exposure, max trading quantities go down, when we take more exposure, they go up.

@Hectares

1. Spreads are marked up with a set %, we don’t tinker with them ourselves. If raw spread goes up, our does too, if it goes down, so does our.
  2. We don’t intentionally slow execution. Please, feel free to share an example for CFDs so I can check.
  3. We don’t suspend instruments whenever we like. We do have an automatic suspension that triggers if instrument X hasn’t received a new quote for Y amount of time. But that rarely triggers for popular instruments. Also, it’s something that’s going away in the near future.
  4. Quantity reduction - yes, that indeed we do in order to control exposure. However, we are taking steps to improve upon this so that it happens less frequently.

Thank you for your detailed response @David its appreciated as i learn how to navigate using T212.

1: Spread is a set percentage, please can you elaborate what this means? as explained by other users, your spreads have been known to be higher than other providers so unsure why this option would be chosen if it’s not to increase T212 profit.
Are you able to use another method to reduce these spreads?

2: I don’t have a CFD example, my reply stated making money therefore whatever i chose to buy i would expect to profit at some point. I have contacted customer service about T212 slow executions. T212 can also be slow at recording current market price as experienced with WDI as i paid more via T212 due to system not catching up when it dropped in price… Slow execution has been mentioned throughout the forum, is there a difference between execution for CFD account users? i don’t trade as many instruments in CFD mode, as i have done in Invest/ISA.
Another execution example was being forced to keep a purchase going/displaying as processing with no option to opt out, as experienced with ISA: Miriad advertisement which didn’t execute after several attempts, the longest being 1 full day of trying eventually allowing me to cancel much later. This buffering experience has occurred for minutes-hours.

3: I’m confused by that answer as TSLA, HMSO and WLL were suspended due to stock splits on CFD. When HYVE experienced a split i don’t recall a suspension.
Good to read this is being worked on.

4: Good to read this is being worked on.

1 Like

The maximum remaining quantity for long positions with this instrument is 0.

Tesla, Moderna, or take any popular stock.

@David is there any transparency on the stocks that have 0 remaining quantity available. It would be good that a list is compiled for the stocks that have 0 quantity available? Will save so much time and effort. We try to read, analyze, explore and then go to CFD to get it and get 0.

Else, people just use DEMO mode and have fun seeing there ideas growing in a virtual mode!

Thank you very much.

1 Like

I think the same maximum traded quantity limits exist in DEMO (practice) mode.