Tesla stock split

Stock split and our fractionals just get soldā€¦why that ? My other broker ist splitting the fractionals as well ! Not entirely sure, but is this legally correct, that the broker closes a
position without prior consent of the owner ? I see this difficult just imagine price goes up by 20-30 % right after the split (and the way the market works these days, this could really happenā€¦i see claims fired at T212 incomingā€¦

Sure enough my other Broker confirmed that the will also split fractionalsā€¦

Cheers

Itā€™s a coin toss as to whether it goes up or down post split. There is potential for people to start selling becuase the minimum dollar amount has lowered for people without fractionals. I agree selling the fractionals instead of splitting is not ideal, as time out of the market introduces another risk factor. Iā€™m not too worried becuase itā€™s only the fractional amount that will get sold.

Iā€™m sure T212 processes will improve in the future. Itā€™s not as if fractional shares has been around for that long for them to have all corporate contingencies covered. As to whether itā€™s legal, Iā€™m pretty sure they can. Just thinking about it logically here but what would they do if they didnā€™t sell your fraction? Suspened the trading of it until they can provide a solution to split the fractionals on your end, which could take a while. And it would need to remain suspended becuase you can no longer trade the previous denomination, the shares have split but you now need to wait for T212 to provide a solution.

I know itā€™s not ideal that T212 doesnā€™t have a solution in place at the moment. But if they did it the way I described, there would be far more complaints and issues. Itā€™s a fantastic company following the tech mantra of move fast and break things. Of course there are some teething problems, but itā€™ll get worked out.

3 Likes

Hey @nickspacemonkey

point taken and in principal, i agree, but if u have a fractional of 0.9 and the rally continues until the split the way it is going right now, than we are talking 2k a stock :wink: ā€¦just sayingā€¦

Yeah I feel you. Who knows, maybe they are furiously working on a solution as we speak. They have just under 2 weeks, maybe they can pull some magic out.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/LizVHtYOHVQ

Can we all take a moment to appreciate the fact it was being celebrated that the stock price hit $20 10 years ago :exploding_head:. Talk about Shoulda coulda woulda :man_shrugging:t3::joy:

Yea kinda sucks the fractional shares cant be split, had tesla at a good time. Being young and not having that much money i dident quite have 1 whole share. Sold out today in some good profit, but was gonna hold really long term. Just gonna wait for split to happen now, and jump back in, sucks tho

3 Likes

Gonna work my portfolio around whole shares and not fractional shares. Idk why i feel like a few more companies will do this split ting. I mean its free boost outa nowhere lol

@R0k depends on its purpose. As an investment youā€™re likely worth waiting as TSLA/AAPL isnā€™t a good price. It should be more difficult to push the price up after due to the additional shares on the market, and new traders reducing. There are many EV/Tech companies on the market that youā€™ll get a better return on your money elsewhere. If you google stock splits 2020 etc youā€™ll be provided with the companies already gone through this process. if you place the ticker into Tradingview.com and view as 1 day chart, if will provide you with the date of the Split**(S)**, along with how much the price increased/decreased.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Yes itā€™s for investment purposes. Will have a look at the link :+1::smile:

1 Like

What are we thinking? Tesla up high right now? Sell the fractionals now and buy back on after split or keep on holding?

4 Likes

@CavanHaganInvesting - hahahaha that is the mother of all questions.

I thought abt that, but i think it will keep on going at least for the momentā€¦

Myself i will hold to the end hoping for T212 Team to find a way to split as well the fractionalsā€¦even if in vainā€¦

Oh how nice would be a trailing stop/loss nowā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

I rounded up my ISA but at these prices doubt Iā€™ll do the same for my Invest. Half a share is a LONG way up!

So Iā€™ll sell that half but maybe give it another day or so - see what the price is like today.

2 Likes

Most brokers will liquidate fractional positions, even in the US which has had fractional shares longer than us. There are a few brokers that donā€™t or will only liquidate left over fractional shares above the number of whole shares.

Toying about buying/selling my half share as well.
Got it at a really good price. Itā€™s a shame itā€™s only full shares that work on a stock split though, Iā€™ve learnt something new for today! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure the timeline of events is documented around here somewhere but will need to see what date the liquidisation of fractions occurs and whether itā€™s prior to the split date.

This is where out of hours trading would be niiiiiiceā€¦! :no_mouth: As I can see us getting shafted for a decent re-purchase price on split day, hence our encashed buying power depreciating.

Might use AAPL as a guide and see how that performed last week, post announcement. See where it peaked and if itā€™s now consolidating or retracing. Perhaps cashing in the fractional now while the hype is up might offset the buying power problem above.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see how many hundred thousand people around the world that are investing probably only because of fractional shares, will lose their Tesla and Apple fractions ā€œovernightā€.
Retail investors are not nerds in majority, they do not participate in communities, reddit etcā€¦ I bet that most of them have no clue what will happen.

1 Like

Yep. Think we should either lock the forum for a week or pin some guidance to the top. :wink:

1 Like

Afaik Robinhood will split even fractionals. So cheers for the hooders :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We need out of hours trading so baddddddddd

3 Likes

Is there any opportunity for all our fractions to be banded together by t212 and get us through this together in time for the split?