UPDATE on T212 terms & conditions

So as a a non technical user, what is the eventuality that this clause is meant for?

What specific market is held in t212 name instead of ours

However other brokers referral links were used to discredit the original video and his description has t212 referral links.

The problem with having links was that he sensationalised the video and referred people elsewhere. Without the sensationalism it wouldnā€™t have been such an issue.

1 Like

The eventuality is for the addition of specific markets that have different rules to the ones we are currently allowed to access. Us, UK and EU markets are not affected by this change in clause.

T212 is listed on all the markets because they are who hold the nominee account with IBKR. We are listed in T212 as the beneficial owners who actually own the shares.

2 Likes

I hope it wonā€™t Iā€™m totally sick of telling people theyā€™re wrong.

Itā€™s something I never thought Iā€™d get sick of, but here we are.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a very good post by Tony from 212 much further above that answers this.

Think of it another way - this is a YouTube blogger with a click bait title to get people to watch, and the solution they are offering(on top of earning ad revenue from YouTube) is to click on one of their referral links to get a bonus from joining a competitor.

Hardly an independent review is it?

Letā€™s take a step back from these videos with catchy titles. In order for 212 or any broker to operate in the UK and the EU, and sell to retail investors, they have to comply with both UK and EU legislation, which covers how customer assets should be protected.

Legal wording is never great, and rather than seek clarification on the meaning, these bloggers are using their interpretation to get views. With more retail investors than ever before, there needs to be better regulation, or consequences for anyone providing financial ā€˜mis-informationā€™, or misdirection especially when it can financially gain them.

8 Likes

Are people still not done with making trash videos about this? this is seriously distorting the truth.

The FSCS scheme is really clear - you hold cash with a FCA regulated business you are protected for up to Ā£85k. I donā€™t get why people are scare mongering on Youtube for views!

I want to preface this by saying - I actually quite like this dude as a Youtuber.

However, I pointed him twice to this thread whilst heā€™d left the video on premiere so he could check it out and make any necessary corrections for the three or four days prior to it going live.

He deleted all of my comments and pinned a referral link in the comments.

1 Like

As a fellow Youtuber myself; I do not agree with the approach Pete adopts on his channel. When he went to town on the concept of FIRE without knowing the full facts it ruined my perception of his knowledge about investing and finance.

Ultimately this video again proves to me people are using some random wording and perceiving it in an abstract manner to scare monger people.

The point isā€¦ Trading212 is fully regulated in the UK and the FSCS scheme applies. If you deposit money into the Trading212 account, then they are responsible and the custodians of that client money.

1 Like

Youā€™ve evidently watched more then me. I think Pete is considering popping on the podcast so Iā€™ll eventually have to watch more.

Well itā€™s how they all make money. Itā€™s not just the YouTube ads, but the referral links they are peddling. I like the guys video. Clearly not giving advice, just an ā€˜opinionā€™, and a good use of the word ā€˜butā€™ to place doubt in some minds.

End of day, DYOR is key.

1 Like

I actually enjoyed some of his videos until that one you just shared. Considering he is a financial adviser, I wouldā€™ve done more due diligence and actively speak to T212 if you find that some clauses or terms are grey.

What are his professional financial certifications, licenses and academic background? :wink:

The short time I saw his videos, makes me doubt his so call financial expertiseā€¦

From his website:

Our service is not regulated by the financial conduct authority (FCA). If you need regulated financial advice, we will help you understand the different types of financial advice available, including any free advice agencies, and direct you to websites where you can search for a regulated adviser who can help.

This text proves that he isnā€™t a financial adviser. As all financial advising services and financial advisers must be authorized and be regulated by the financial regulator.

Also he calls himself ā€œFinancial Expertā€, nowadays everyone is an ā€œExpertā€ in everything.

His LinkedIn profile doesnā€™t have any relevant financial industry license/certification (e.g. CFA, CFP, CISI licenses/certifications), he has some petty courses (only 2), worked mainly in commercial roles or insurance. Any financial professional would laugh about its statements, based on his LinkedIn profile.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/peterkomolafe/

6 Likes

Hahahahaha!!! LOL!
What an epic post/reply! :joy:

His profile description states;

Peter is a qualified Financial Adviser, Mortgage Adviser and has held key roles at RBS, MetLife, St James Place and Investec Wealth & Investment.

I donā€™t think he knows what he is talking about as he quite literally craps all over passive ETFs and the concept of Retire Early like one of the other youtubers previously referenced on this thread.

The point is people need to start seriously doing their on due diligence before watching garbage like this and jumping to conclusions about Trading212.

My own gripe about T212 last year was the lack of communication and inconsistency in customer service when I had some technical issues on my account. I think blocking new accounts has been a PR disaster in all honesty. I just hope they can come back stronger.

Iā€™ve been using Freetrade this tax year and the platform literally SUCKS!!!

3 Likes

In the US, the regulators, FINRA and SEC, have started to watch and supervising the social media activity related to brokerages, including the use of online influencers, marketing affiliates and referral programs, cookies, gamification and other digital practices.

Itā€™s a matter of time, for this to cross the pond and arrive in Europe.

The universe of YouTubers and other networksā€™ influencers are in peril of being scrutinized by the regulators. Maybe this will clean the ecosystem, putting the garbage, fake/misinformation/click-bait/FUD & FOMO mongers on the can, with some fines or days on jail for them.

1 Like

It reads a bit as if itā€™s directed as oversight of the brokerage firms use. Not those who are effectively pretending to be ā€˜independentā€™ distributors using click bait videos to drive custom.

But a lot of those ā€˜independentā€™ distributors are online influencers or marketing affiliates or part of referral programs (using referral links).

The firms are responsible for marketing affiliating and referral programs. And in that article it states:

The broker-dealer regulator also is assessing firmsā€™ written policies and procedures for supervising social media marketing.

ā€œProvide any compliance policies, manuals, training materials, compliance bulletins, and any other written guidance in effect for any portion of the relevant period concerning social media communications, use of marketing affiliates and referral programs,ā€ the example letter states.

The ā€˜independentā€™ distributors can be considered as promoters or intermediaries, that win a compensation, financial or other nature. Companies (especially the financial ones) should do KYI (Know your Intermediary) due to several reasons, including reputational risk.