W8BEN Form for buying US shares

Hi I am UK based. Could you tell me if the W8BEN form is filled in automatically when buying US shares or do I have to fill it in manually?

Welcome to the forum. See

https://www.trading212.com/en/Frequently-asked-questions

How to provide a W-8BEN Form?

This can be done in 3 easy steps:

1. Print the W-8BEN Form from the IRS website here.
  2. Fill in the required information.
  3. Send a picture of it or a scanned copy directly through your Trading 212 account or by email to id@trading212.com.
1 Like

When you buy a US stock you will be prompted to complete the form within the app electronically.

1 Like

Is that what you did?

If you opened your account after January then it was automatically generated when you signed up.

2 Likes

To sum up:

• Newly created accounts are getting their W-8BEN submitted upon completing the sign-up;
  • Already active accounts can have their W-8BEN submitted:
    -by placing an order with US stocks - all personal details will be automatically prefilled, and one-click confirmation will be required;
    -by requesting it over our live chat/email/phone (we’ll prompt the same prefilled form as above);
    -By manually filling in the form and sending it over to us.
8 Likes

@Tony.V Thank you. This is much easier than I have known other brokers to make it.

I believe a W-8BEN expires after at the end of the subsequent third calendar year. I trust T212 will be warching for and preparing renewals for clients as needed?

2 Likes

True that - it will be automatically renewed upon expiration :white_check_mark:

7 Likes

I am sure mine has not been done. Is there a way of checking ?. Or I will print it tomorrow then, as I’ve paid 30% tax.

@Mizzstee You don’t have the form submitted. Please reach us at id@trading212.com, and we’ll help you further.

1 Like

Thanks Tony,
I’ve sent an email.

Hello again Tony, I sent in my bill, but have not had confirmation that it has been received of that the W8BEN is being processed. Not sure how you let people know; Can you advise please.

Kind Regards

Miriam McDonald

Hello :wave:,

Sure - our team will check this up, and further details will be provided over the ticket which you have. :mailbox:

1 Like

Thank you, that was Superfast​:blush::blush::blush:

1 Like