What the hell is going on with the dollar? 🤨

I did hold some but, I shorted it on the way down covered my losses so not too bad but all in all, covid2021 looks ripe to shaft quite a few markets all over again :slight_smile: between that and Brexit its hard to choose :see_no_evil: Chinese stocks are a safe haven at moment lol

It’s more the pound being up since share purchase rather than the dollar being down. The dollar had been trading too high for too long.

This is why I would like a multi currency account to just pay my exchange rate and hold for life, no surprises

1 Like

There’s definitely some truth in it being down to the pound.

It’ll be interesting to see where it settles in 12 months as hopefully the world will be less turbulent!

Ive got the same dam issue, bought a stock this week and my fx rate is rubbish. Usually a credit this time a negative.

As the pound reverts back to pre brexit prices the rates could go into double digits or more depending on the dollar. Stimulus package on the way this is more money printing so only increasing inflation.
One way traffic for atleast 6 months here I think

Just keep DCA and FX impact would reduce

2 Likes

there getting delisted because of chinas organ harvesting, use of slave labour in cotton fields (yes this century) and not applying to any normal rules and screwing us investors with cooked books. it needs to happen

You have two options - either worry about the value of foreign currencies, in which you hold assets, and potentially look to hedge the FX’s for a small fee, or don’t.

Can’t see why you think £ goes back to pre brex vote level? Perhaps we go up some, but the £ drop is largley down to leaving EU. A no deal wd have seen a bigger drop but the drop wasn’t dependent on getting a weak ass deal, it was because we’ve left one of worlds largest trading blocks and voluntarily worsened our trading situation… perhaps we go back to 1.5ish.

As an aside this is also the advantage of swing trading, a holding period of few days to few weeks means less chance of big fx hit. A position trade for 6 months larger chance, an “investor” holding for multi year = huge chance of fx hit.

I’m certain our currency will surpass pre brexit levels, we have the trade deal none of the associated debt burden and we can finally free trade with the rest of the growing world not just the slowing EU.

My opinions only

Am giving up this platform for now for US stocks only UK for now.Trade US on Revolut at least that way you won’t have to deal with FX and can jump in and out when you want without having to take FX into account.Although it’s an inferior platform it works for me a newbie to this game!

2 Likes

If you are wanting to convert back to GBP, you will still have to deal with GBP/USD fluctuations, it just won’t show you what they are if you buy using your USD account!

All T212 is doing is telling you the full picture back to the base currency of your trading account.

1 Like

Here are a couple for you.

Bought these in June at a rate of $1.232

If you convert the currency and hold the stocks in that currency for life you only have two exchange rates and these can be timed over a year or few years to minimise loss. By having it directly linked to the stock sale means you have no control over it, you can lose big chunks of money and then you buy back into another us stock at some point again.

If the pound rallies (I’m sure it will) foreign markets will become out of reach.
If you consider our pound value before the financial crisis of 2007/2008 our pound was over $1.80 and rose to $2.00 during the peak. We are now floating around the $1.15-$1.35 with a $1.28 close.

If this isn’t ringing alarm bells for you I’m not sure what will. You will need gains of over 50% at the lean end just to break even.

Totally agree, I reevaluated slightly a month back or so for more UK stocks.

None of us have a crystal ball so we have to look at what’s happened in the past sometimes, and the dollar has been strong for a long time against the pound. For too long? Who knows? It’ll depend on the post Brexit world as well I guess.

Exactly. You can buy more shares per £.

Honestly I don’t look at the FX short term as overall my stocks are yearly holds. Things change between then and now and hopefully the FX changes for the better by the time I sell the stocks!!!

You might find this interesting:

Keep it simple.

Pound should weaken against dollar unless there is more stimulus after Biden takes office.