Why people couldn't buy GME and AMC on Thursday

Can you please give a reference to the BBC report? Web link, or programme title, channel and day so I can read or listen? (the Leader designation does not mean that I work for or have any special insight to their operations, only that I have been around for a while on the forum.)

my apologies - I thought leader meant insider.
about 2-3 days ago?? ( I’ve been sick for 2 days- just got AstraZeneca vaccinated - yes I’m old)
The day after Robin Hood , T212, IB etc. suspended GME…AMC etc. It was a BBC business programme.
Investments OK. CFD’s - don’t touch 'em.

Afaik selling order flow is illegal in Europe, you would be right that American brokers like RobinHood do it. T212 takes your securities lending income so it’s not a free platform.

FCA ‘Dear CEO’ letter on payment for order flow

On 13 December 2017, the FCA published a [‘Dear CEO’ letter]>(https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/correspondence/dear-ceo-letter-payment-for-order-flow.pdf) regarding the Payment for Order Flow (PFOF), which follows the publication of the FCA Market Watch 51 on PFOF in September 2016.

In the letter, the FCA expressed its view that the practice of brokers demanding ‘payments from counterparties as a condition for conducting client business with them substantially undermines a broker’s ability to act as a good agent’. It also repeated its concerns that PFOF arrangements are:

• Bad for markets
  • Undermine the transparency and efficiency of price formation
  • Inhibit competition; and
  • Lead to poor outcomes for end clients

The FCA further stated that firms continuing to charge PFOF will be in breach of MiFID II standards and highlighted that action had to be taken in order to ensure compliance.
Source: https://www.dlapiper.com/en/uk/insights/publications/2018/04/finance-and-markets-global-insight-issue-14/mifid-ii-a-second-overhaul-of-europes-regulatory-framework/

(maybe this thread also would answer some of your questions: [SOLVED] Fractional Orders (almost) always execute at subpar prices?!)

Thank you. Had a feeling T212 was better than the others.
take care and many thanks for the quote. If anything it has been a reminder of your better business model.
This blog should stay long and prosper for many people to see.
Robin Hood should stay in America and not come to EUROPE.
Except we are not in EUROPE or are we for Trading rules?
either way thank you for the quote

@maypole20 Trading 212 does not sell its clients’ order flow. No one is front running or utilising your orders in any way.

3 Likes

Thank you - it’s official ! . As Shakespeare said “Play On”

I read that Robinhood had a $1billion shortfall in the Gme/Reddit saga:

Monday it was also reported that Tenev’s Robinhood received a further $2.4 billion injection from investors in an effort to keep trades flowing amid the huge Reddit-fueled rush in GameStop shares.

The broker had already been forced to raise more than $1 billion from shareholders after small-time traders had last week driven the 1,600 percent rally in the shares of the video game retailer.

The $3.4 billion raised - which according to The Wall Street Journal is more than it has gathered in its entire existence - came after the clearing house that handles all stock trades, the NSCC, demanded a $3 billion security deposit from the company. :grimacing:

Crazy that this topic of selling order flow raises its head every week now. You’d think people would give the forum a little search before making accusations about a company’s business practices when they themselves understand very little.

Guess we have Robinhood to thank :man_shrugging:

Or T212 could leverage this thread & advertise its integrity a bit more. T212 is a great / nice design / robust feel platform. Nothing infuriates a trader ( amateur or pro) more than losing the ability to trade in normal market hours.
And it is the second time this has happened to me… Especially when you turn on other platforms and that very instrument is trading just fine. I cite WTI APRIL’20 OIL futures.

… I was gonna check out Robinhood when it came over… but frankly it can stay in America… along with Bernanke’s Citadel

@TsotFin , the above statement “1% own 95% of the stock market” is NOT TRUE. This is a myth created by political institutions who seek to gain power and control by appealing to people’s natural sense of envy.
Stock ownership depends on the country you are in.
For example: In my country, South Africa, the largest shareholder of my top companies tends to be the Government Employees Pension Fund via the Public Investment Corporation. Most government employees are far from being the 1% yet they are in fact indirectly large shareholders of stocks yet politicians will still try preach that only a few control stocks. The second biggest shareholders tend to be pension funds and other collective investment schemes , plus all the other ETFs and boutique funds. This is reflected to be the same across many other markets. However founders like Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett etc cannot be blamed for owning large portions of the companies they started, that would be dumb. I recommend you rather go through company data of shareholder lists, which is generally publicly available for publically traded companies, to see who are the shareholders. Run the Maths and you will see the 1% do not control 95% of the stock market.

2 Likes

Fair point, but may I ask who is it that run the institutions that provide pension funds and etfs? In the majority of cases, individuals who pay into these pension funds do not have a say in which companies to invest in nor do they have any say in the governance of these companies. Real ownership means you have control over your asset and you have the power to do whatever you please. My point is simply that recent events have shown who really is in control. The mechanisms of the stock market are designed by and for the benefit of the 1% to a very large extent. These pension funds generate billions in profits but how many billionaires arise from the people that pay into them?

Is there any news when GME will be tradable on CFD again? I just tried it and it says min traded quantity is 0. Though no more “trading suspended” or anything like that. And there should be more than enough money on my account…