AutoInvest - Join the BETA

I believe I read that there are plans in the pipeline to offer pre-baked pies that mimic the content of certain popular ETFs. Although not perfect copies, these would eliminate for the investor the ongoing cost fee.

I am not quite sure whether I understood the rebalancing mechanism correctly. After I confirm the rebelance some of positions will be sold, right? That means that I will have to pay taxes on my profits. How can the rebalancing be done without selling?

Very good point. Calculating and keeping capital gains tax records can be horrid. It will be better to rebalance only when adding new funds. For this reason, I am only creating pies within an ISA.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: AutoInvest for ISA accounts

Are you able to transfer shares into the pie or would you have to sell them and buy them again? My only problem with buying them again would be the charge on FTSE stocks.

At present shares cannot be moved in and out of pies, but we have been told that this is in the pipeline.

1 Like

how did it even let you invest a fiver, mine tells me the minimum is Ā£20 :sob:

Itā€™s do with the smallest percentage in your pie. 0.5% means minimum is Ā£40, 1% is Ā£20 etc. So Iā€™m guessing you have a slice that is 1%

thanks, makes sense. i promise iā€™m not stupid, iā€™m sometimes just too lazy to read every single thing out there :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Itā€™s understandable, hard thing to search for. I took out my 0.5% segments because Ā£40 a time was too much for me

Iā€™m not too sure? I just did it again to double check and itā€™s still accepting Ā£5. Thatā€™s odd. I did read here somewhere in the midst of all these conversations that someone else too had that issue but I didnā€™t read an answer to itā€¦

I just play around with it until it makes some sort of sense. Visual learner. Iā€™ve lost a few pence here and there by self balancing and it then ā€œsellingā€ off stock to ā€œbuyā€ new stock which I donā€™t like :see_no_evil: I know itā€™s asking me to balance and I sort of donā€™t want to but press the button anyway and itā€™s sell and buys and balances. Thus leaving me minus.
I canā€™t seem to leave it unbalanced as it makes me uneasy but then I donā€™t like it selling and rebuying for me.

Feel like I need to understand that process more as if one stock is or I believe is going to do better and I want more invested in that I donā€™t want to have it unbalanced but then Iā€™d like it balanced for other stock.

Definitely glad Iā€™ve not jumped in with both feet just yet. Lots of learning to be done.

Chill. You should not rebalance very often at all. Your returns/risk are not going to be much affected because you have a certain stock at 12% rather than 10% in your pie. It is easiest to rebalance when you are adding new money to a position, or when you are withdrawing. Who knows? - your ā€œunbalancedā€ pie may actually turn out to be the superior allocation. After all, the slices that have grown bigger have momentum behind them and a momentum investment strategy is one of the few that have some evidence of success.

5 Likes

If you keep rebalancing you wont have anything left to rebalance after all the 0.5% stamp duty fees haha assuming you are buying UK stock.

2 Likes

Ah I see. I didnā€™t think of it that way. I think I presumed balancing was the best thing to do.
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: that makes more sense to just rebalance at a buy or sell time.

PS Iā€™m always :sunglasses: chilled (unless Iā€™m not)

Oh gosh thatā€™s true :see_no_evil: Iā€™ll be rebalancing fresh air!

Hey, Iā€™ve got a pie and went to add funds, but it isnā€™t allowing me to add funds, rebalance or anything elseā€¦any idea why this may be?

I like this idea. I may take a look at replicating mutual funds like Fundsmith in a pie based on disclosures in annual/semi-annual reports. Itā€™d be a good way around the 1%ish ongoing charge and Iā€™m sure others would find them useful.

I already have running a ā€œFundsmith pieā€ based on its 10 largest holdings in US stocks. I weighted them equally, not trying to fine tune to the Fundsmith weights. I have invested in Fundsmith for many years and also directly in some of its companies, MSFT, JNJ, PEP, FB, EL, INTU, SYK. To those 6 I have added SBUX, NKE, PYPL and MKC. I have the Fundsmith stock V in a different pie.

Another pie is composed from my selection of 10 from the 28 on the US 1 list of Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

1 Like

Thatā€™s cool. Iā€™m doing something not-too dissimilar. Fancied a bit more risk so Iā€™m making a pie based on the public holdings of SMT, PCT, and ATT. Jammed every one through various screeners and did my own research to whittle 'em down to 30-40. Just need a dozen or so more stocks to go fractional (and markets to dip) before I pull the trigger.