Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

How I understand from when I have looked into the various China holdings/weightings, SMT gives you some Chinese exposure but mainly in mega/large cap, BGCG gives you that exposure but then adds in some mid cap for an average over 30+bn cap, but neither cover the smaller cap stuff so I think thats something to keep in mind if wanting Chinese exposure but worried large companies will come under scrutiny.

1 Like

SMT looks so attractive, but who know where it will stop … :chart_with_downwards_trend:

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve added a few times on the way down, not huge amounts though. Will be waiting for a market turnaround before I consider adding more.

No doubt I will look back on this time as a great opportunity.

1 Like

China Growth is still at a 5% premium to NAV.

Is SMT at a 3% discount to NAV?

1 Like
1 Like

Great page for reference thanks for this

Out of curiosity: what % of your portfolio is invested in SMT?

1 Like

A little under 4% for me. And for you?

I’ve sold my position in the beginning of December (near the peak). The reason behind the decision was that as I was liquidating my mistakes and at the same time I was able to cover some “tax gains”.

I’ve started again this year with some old and mainly new individual growth stocks for the long term. Now my main focus will be monhtly adding to SMT and S&P (waiting for this one to drop more).

My current Portfolio.

1 Like

Jumping in here: 40% in SMIT for me and very happy with that. For boring tax reasons I won’t get into I’ve only began investing in ETFs recently. I’m looking to increase my position in an S&P tracker and would ideally looking be looking at a 50/30 split with SMIT/VUSD with the remaining 20% for my own stock choices or fun money for CFDs.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Any special reason choosing Vanguard and not iShares for S&P?

EDIT: I knew that some time ago, I’ve compared them, but forgot why I’ve decided for iShares, so I went down the rabbit hole again today. :blush: Here’s the comparison.

What exactly are these percent showing? Is it growth after fees taken?

Honestly I didn’t even know there was an iShares option so thanks for sharing.

They’re basically the same. iShares is under BlckRock which I like more - their websites are better/more informative, at least for my eyes. :wink:

1 Like

If anything, this downturn has made Pacific Horizon Investment Trust very tempting for me. I watched it’s rise and huge premium over NAV for a long time so was reluctant to get in.

It’s worth noting that PHI’s well-regarded manager, Ewan Markson-Brown, left Baillie Gifford in the past year or so. It’ll be interesting to see the make up of his new Asia ex-Japan fund at CRUX.

1 Like

I guess you can’t invest in that via T212?

Been weighing up investing platforms ahead of April, so might be something to consider.

1 Like

No, I’m afraid it’s an OEIC. The ongoing cost is pretty eye-watering at 1.25%!

2 Likes

Anyone currently watching the Zoom call?

2 Likes

Didn’t bother in the end. I suspect the message is think in the long term, 5yr horizon, etc. so near term volatility isn’t a concern…?

1 Like