Bitcoin - way to invest

Well aware :wink: given as you can see a few posts above this I have a Binance account. You quoted me in the context of advising newbies who usually on-ramp into crypto via regular Coinbase as Binance is less known among them.

1 Like

Both are unknown for a newbie, so no much difference recommending any :wink:

1 Like

Looks like the start of things to come

That’s great actually, if more and more banks do the same, soon people will realize that they don’t need them at all :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I respectfully disagree, Coinbase the brand is bigger than Binance the brand to newbies. I know as 4 years ago I was a newbie who conferred a lot more “trust” to the brand of Coinbase so I onramped with them first. Coinbase was the gateway into crypto due during the retail investor boom due to its simpler app and brand.

Now that Binance have Binance Lite and even an app this time around (bare in mind Binance the app wasn’t available in the U.K. AppStore a few years ago, it was accessed via mobile website for U.K. users including me back then) I can now recommend them this time around.

1 Like

I do agree with your statement, specially about the brand (4 years ago and nowadays) :wink:

My point was that for someone that doesn’t know both, any of them should be a fine recommendation.

Although I really try to not recommend the normal Coinbase, specially for people that might invest little money, their fees are very expensive for small amounts.

1 Like

:100: agree especially in 2021, Binance Lite is streaks ahead of normal Coinbase

1 Like

Does anyone use a Ledger Nano? I am currently thinking to buy one for my cryptos but saw some feedbacks on the App Store about the app not allowing to transfer cryptos to other wallets some times. Had anyone experienced this?

At the moment I have my cryptos locked in an exchange where they pay me some interests, and my main wallet is Coinbase Wallet (I hold my private key). Apparently, they don’t store the private key, it’s my responsibility, so I guess it’s safe and would like to know if anyone is also using this wallet or similar, where you download the app and hold your private key. Do you guys think it’s safe? Would you just recommend to buy the Ledger Nano?

John would be a millionaire if he’d bought £3k worth of Bitcoin!

1 Like

Yes. Ledger the safest way to store your crypto.
But only buy from their website https://www.ledger.com/.
From anywhere else there is a risk of being tampered with.
Also beware of the numerous phishing campaigns: Ongoing phishing campaigns | Ledger.

1 Like

On that note, I have the Ledger Nano X and there was absolutely no need for me to spend the extra cash on it compared to the Nano S. If you’re just securing a few cryptos, don’t make the mistake that I made thinking you need the more expensive, shinier version.

1 Like

Coinbase Pro or Binance? As far as I can tell it’s 0.5% vs 0.1% trading fees but what about all the other fees and which one has a better UI, customer service, liquidity, security etc. TIA

Biggest exchage by volume and transaction is Binance.
Also is the best, safest, most convenient and cheapest overall for all Europeans.

I always preferred Coinbase and I like the mobile app as well.

This did not age well.

Retrospectively no. But hindsight is 20/20. At the time, all signs said to sell. And now, I’m still saying the same thing - selling would be the wisest thing to do. We were in a bubble in December; and now we are in a monster bubble.

I think we will have to come back to this in a few years to see whether Bitcoin revolutionised the world and investors made money or whether it was just a bubble that popped. I don’t think we can definitely say either way at the moment, although it very much feels like a bubble (and I think it is more likely).

1 Like

Agreed, it might continue rising, who knows. I still am not a fan of Bitcoin though for all the reasons I previously gave. It just makes no sense to me.

I’m more a fan of Ethereum which I do think will revolutionise technology eventually.

What signs? Knowing what we know about money printing, blockchain, digital currencies, institutional money pouring, limited supply (~21m) nature, etc I think it’s short-sighted to say that. Not like one would jump in with 20%+ of their portfolio. 5-10% in 4-5 chunks would be a good way rather than one single transaction. Also, leaving room for topping up during pullbacks. Think of 5-10+ yrs. BTC and ETH doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive. Can easily hold both. I got in when it was b/w £4-8k. Blockfi interest account is a good alternative to cold wallet.

I have been buying bitcoin for years now
Kraken (love the easiness of their exchange),
Coinbase (love their app),
Binance (hate their app, but better value for money)
Crypto.com (Initially signed up for this to enable spending bitcoin by using a debit card, but has gradually gone down hill … support is none existent).
Revolut - Although you can buy bitcoin, its not actually on chain, so technically not yours (but cannot also be hacked and stolen)
Wirex - this is the one I use all the time now. Earn bitcoin by just using a normal debit card and can load bitcoin / ethereum / litecoin on to the card and spend as normal.

From my experience, all transactions buying / exchanging / moving crypto currencies incur a lot of fees regardless of which exchange you use, so best to buy / move larger amounts.

Remember though, unless you control the private keys, its not really yours.