How diversified are you?

Wow someone is long Gan :grin:

My top three long term are Scottish Mortgage trust, Boston Omaha (pls can this be fractional @Y.M ) and Pershing square holdings…

Full of growth and amazing capital allocation with a degree of safety :grimacing: they will make up 60% of my total portfolio

SMT has done ridiculously well. definitely something worth telling newbies to invest in if they want to stay hands off while they learn and still see growth in their portfolio.

waiting to see its first dip and correction that should set the standard for its future potential

3 Likes

For me SMT gives me the exposure to the private market- Ant financial, space x etc

2 Likes

How much exposure to spacex does SMT have?Cant find it :confused:

I love their conviction

I’m about 95% in global funds so I would say fairly diversified.

1 Like

Relatively small at the moment 1% I think

1 Like

Got a noob question:
How does part-ownership of a private company (like lets say SpaceX) work? Does the trust own shares with value that can in- and decrease?
Do they get a share of the profit?!

Who has insight?

They gave SpaceX a big bag of money with a dollar sign on it. This injection of capital gave them a share of the company.

So they own 1 share? Whats it worth? confused

If they own a share I think they receive profit according to the size of the share I assume?

When @Obrienciaran mentioned “a share” I guess that he means “a proportion” of the company, which is I imagine, a large number of shares.
A number of shares proportional to however much they invested obviously, at whatever price was agreed at the time.

As I understand it, usually for a trust owning a number of shares in a limited company that is not listed, the ownership`is similar to if you or anyone else bought shares of a public company eg. Microsoft. The main difference being that the shares of unlisted companies cannot be bought/sold easily as they do not trade on the stock market (The “London Stock Exchange” in the UK, or the “New York Stock Exchange”, just to name a couple).

1 Like

I’ve always wondered, given that “the market” dictates the market cap of companies (whether we agree with the “the market” or not), how are private companies valued? Is it more based on the actual assets and prospects?

Or is it as deranged as “the market”, and the private company valued at whatever someone is willing to pay for it?

I guess it is always this.
If there is no one willing to pay a certain price, then the price is wrong and you have to lower it until someone pays for it.
A bit like an auction, I guess.

1 Like

I thought as much, do they have less to comply with in accounting terms? Therefore increasing risks?

From what I understand, UK Ltds have to provide much less information and also less regularly compared to Plcs listed on the stock market. I don’t know how stricts audits are or whether they even need to be auditted. Can anyone confirm?

It can be an advantage for a Ltd. For example, you can keep strategic plans “secret”, whilst a company listed on the stock markett is likely to have to disclose it via RNSs, press releases, investor presentations/calls, public AGMs (a competitor could buy some shares on the stock exchange and attend), etc.
On the other hand, being listed gives access to more capital and in some cases can also provide publicity. For example, I think Tesla benefits a lot from being listed in terms of publicity (as well as Elon Musk´s Twitter account) which probably leads to more vehicle sales. It also benefits from capital, it recently issued new shares.

1 Like

Indeed I did!

Correct about the unlisted shares too.

Just to add more to your response - people probably never question what the “limited” part of a company’s name mean, like ABC Ltd. (to use a fictitious name). This is to limit the liability of stakeholders in a company in a quantifiable manner. So a limited company can be limited by the number of shares. Even private companies have shares which they can give out accordingly to shareholders, be it your best friend, your mother, or Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust.

Here is my 4th to other holdings.

Are you planning to increase ESPO holding? As I would say that is probably your strongest stock (in my humble opinion) due to the strength of companies in it, the industry it is in and that its a well diverse ETF.

I was thinking about it but I am looking at Growth Stocks mostly at the moment.

I feel like the ESPO ETF is more than I would like to pay atm. Unless there is a pullback.

GAN has done very well for me.

1 Like

Fair enough, ESPO is in the middle growth wise for me about 8th out of 20 odd stocks. However some ETFs can suprise you, my FCSS (China focus ETF) is currently my second biggest winner.

1 Like