Intel - cheap? Why?

I have no direct answer for this, but I think Intel is only worth because itā€™s priced cheap at the moment compared to wider market. It will not grow leaps and bounds but like other people mentioned itā€™s not going anywhere in short/mid term, they are a dividend payer and there is little to no risk of hitting a price crater unless something scandalous happens.

Who knows may be with some intelligent management changes they can start challenging other brands. Which will be great for consumers, we donā€™t want a monopoly one way or another.

Iā€™ve also recently posted my buy list, which has quite a few semiconductor stocks. KLA is a decent one and promising, if you want to diverse into these ā€œlesser knownā€ ones, I recommend looking into ones like AVGO, xilinx and ASML.

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of heavily on such companies as wellā€¦ AMD, NVIDIA, AVGO, TSMā€¦ some of them I bought during March hell, so have already very good results on them and will keep all of them for many many years.

Intel is still an uncertain for me, I may wait a bit, at least one more quarter to see better what to expect from it.

Oh true Iā€™m sorry I was more saying that nvidia buying arm didnt meant they suddenly own the production of apple products.

I know the semiconductor worlds is like the wild west with this stuff and Iā€™m not super informed on it (Iā€™m more manufacturing/aerospace background)do you know roughly the sort of license fee arm can charge with regards to apple and thier new designs?

And would nvidia have the capability to renegotiate that after a take over or would it be locked in at the current deal with arm

Oh an btw what pub do you drink in I travel a lot :joy:

Thatā€™s an interesting question, never thought about it. Since the licenses at the moment are on annual subscription basis, I guess Nvidia can ask for any amount of money when the current licenses expire. Normally you pay a flat subscription fee for resources + per processor fee when/if the product is in literally produced.

My opinion here is theyā€™ll probably keep the prices similar, having apple as your customer buying your cpus is gold laying goose, there is no need to 10x your prices and kill it.

ughā€¦ I heard things from a friend who heard from a friendā€¦ <-- also known as a rumour with no source.

But Iā€™ve started watching INTC prize and keeping an eye on director deals, in case it is true.

Remember blackberry phones. Thatā€™s Intel stock (Moat) damaged.

Intelā€™s moat is that they build chip inhouse and retain high margins.

AMD have managed to Design a chip that is faster, more energy efficient and cheaper to build (use Twian Semi Conductorā€™s outsource)

If AMD MARGINS ARE GOOD. Then intel are done.

Jump in opportunity tomorrow if you have gut :see_no_evil:

Cause AMD is the future

Well Iā€™m no techie but I heard that Chromebook Laptops are getting very popular and they use Intel processors.

Col.

Damn, that is a good argument, should sell grossly underpriced INTC to buy grossly overpriced AMD.

8 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

oh wow, investing.com did that? :open_mouth:

@Kali, you are AMD pitbull, rite?

Tell me under which metric can we look AMD in today valuations to make any sense?

I look at Cash flow graphs and it seems like looking at horror movieā€¦

Intelā€™s problems ā€˜are likely just getting started,ā€™ analyst warns as stock slides: https://on.mktw.net/3jj8Cyo

Keep sending those problems, especially if drops INTC below 45$. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Vedran,

I donā€™t quite understand what this graph represents but I know amd has quite an up/down FCF over past years. This is though mainly due to very high amount of R&D spending. After moving into chiplet/zen2 design CPU R&D costs started decreasing, as well as operating costs. GPU side on the other hand is still burning money. May be itā€™ll start coming down after Big Navi architecture release (can be as soon as next quarter)

For ā€œwhat metric sideā€ of the question I feel like we discussed this before and Iā€™m going to reiterate that AMD has a small market share in a big pie, and steadily increasing this market share.

And again to reiterate Iā€™ve bought AMD a lot between $2-$30 range and kept buying until mid summer 2020 my average price for AMD is $20.5 at the moment.

Saying that IF I had money, I think Intel is very ā€œbuyableā€ at the moment. In fact my buy priority at the moment for semis:

the only problem is, Iā€™ve hit 100% on both SIPP(Ā£40k) and ISA(Ā£20k) allowance caps for this year, so I donā€™t have any money to buy anything until April 2021 :clown_face: Only option for me is to sell something to buy something else, and I donā€™t usually do that unless there is an extraordinary opportunity.

3 Likes

Also I remember saying ā€œCPUs donā€™t get developed overnightā€ An R&D department at a top level analog IC house is usually designing chips 5 years ahead. Intel has a slight advantage here that they have their own fab and can pedal to the metal and accelerate this IC design process and again that is if they allocate the money
uhh feels like Iā€™m over repeating myself, apologies.

I have friends from uni working at intel, I had bbqā€™s in their prod line managers house, they have brilliant people (unfortunately lost some very brilliant people as well) I am only saying this to highlight I know from first hand they have the brain power if given the right resources. Unfortunately they have a big management problem, and everytime CEO makes a blog post to undercut a competitor there are like 50 youtube posts rimming him.

Soā€¦ I think I got sidetrackedā€¦ what was the question again? :smiley: regardless, i hope it my early morning rant before coffee was helpful :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What does this table means?
:thinking:

It is OCF graph with data from 2000-2020.
Which reminded me that AMD had advantage over technology vs Intel already at one point in early 2000s.
At least on the benchmarks, not talking about lower costs or margins. Just from pure geek tech perspective.

But I presume you wouldnā€™t pay current price to buy more AMD?