Invested amount still seems wrong

I have been having a similar issue. Within my pie I swapped VNRT for VUSA of the same cash value, then rebalanced. VNRT had made a small gain of £8 since I started, but I didn’t add or withdraw any new money from the PIE.

However, the total invested figure has increased by £4. How can this be? Is PIE treating gains within the pie that get reinvested as ‘new money’? It has made my total return figure incorrect.

I’ve had a similar issue. I’ve invested £5000 in stocks, and sold some for a £200 loss and reinvested elsewhere.

Now my account shows I’ve invested £4800 so it calculates that a current break-even value of £5000 is a £200 profit which is obviously incorrect.

I’m fine with the invested value being the amount I paid for my owned shares or whatever it represents, but using that to calculate profit is inaccurate and misleading.

The graphs are simplistic and show the current unrealised gain / loss verses book cost. If you used they to calculate your all time profit/loss then yes you would come up with the wrong result.

There’s other threads out there asking for XIRR to be used and I think that’s a work in progress.

You could export your trading and use the likes of Wallmine or similar to do greater analysis of your trading activity. The problem with these, is some sites are geared more to US rather than EU users, and additional features often hide behind a paywall. I’ve not yet found one I like that doesn’t involve much tinkering.

I don’t see why it would show you 1000£ invested even after you pay 0.5% stamp duty, it’s gonna be taken away from invested amount

In that case, I feel like the invested label is not entirely accurate and portfolio “cost” would be more accurate.

Regardless, I’d like to see an account page showing the amount I’ve deposited in the account minus withdrawals, compared to the current value of the account. That’s more useful to me than portfolio specific stats, although I can see the usefulness of the portfolio stats on the portfolio page in addition.

1 Like