Long wait on Dividends

Here is a comparison from last year to assist you.

he

I hope this gets resolved ASAP.

Kond regards

1 Like

I doubt ISA protects from Dividend witholding tax, however regarding EPD it is strange tax rate, especially when it had 0% tax rate for most folks reported on T212.

1 Like

Yeah I mentioned the ISA just in case I got Taxed based on the K-1 Documentation that they do on the US.

Itā€™s really strange how they got this one wrong but the others right before.

Same issue with the payment of my dividends. I never had witholding tax on dividends of EPD. This time around they were taxed at 21%.

1 Like

Same problem here with my EPD dividend : 21% taxed, instead of 0%ā€¦

Yeah i just had the chat support about it, still not sure why.

Basically they said 21% as they are an institutional trustee, instead of some 39% if we were individuals.

Looking up online for MLPs distributions to non US entities, it does look like US overcharge us on withholding tax in that case, hoping we would fill a tax return to the IRSā€¦

EPD dividend - Answer from Support :
the taxation of 21% refers to this particular dividend payment because the dividend is classified as a Limited Partnership payment. Instead, ordinary dividends are taxed in accordance with the tax treaty between the US and the tax country of each client.

In the past it was taxed at 0%ā€¦ So, is this correct ?
Moreover, with a WEB8 document signed, shouldnā€™t US dividends not only taxed up to 15% ?

From what i gathered online, looks like itā€¦ Previous dividends may have been filled improperly i guess? :person_shrugging:

I got charged 26 % for dividends on one of my isa holdings. Hereā€™s the explanation from support:

Please bear in mind that the dividends are taxed based on the instrumentā€™s country of origin. This being said, I would like to confirm that TotalEnergies SE ADR is a french company that is traded on the US market as an ADR. Thatā€™s why there was a deduction of a French tax rate, which is 26.5%.

So something else to be aware of with tax applied.

1 Like

Similar situation with LYB, however in this case T212 was holding 15% on tax when the rate should be 0%. Since LYB is a dutch company.

Still waiting for clarification of T212 if i will get a credit for incorrectly withheld taxes of the dividend paid in september 2021

I have the perception, maybe wrong, these errors/corrections seem to be increasing. Above all, the lack of communication and transperency from T212 is what pisses me up the most. After all, we all make mistakes, at least be straithfoward about them.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the thing. It is a MLP, which for US residents has 0% tax, since they pay capital gain instead on it.

For non-US, the IRS overcharge us in hope we would file tax with them, in which case we would get a tax reductionā€¦ On our other incomes taxed by the IRS :man_facepalming: Then it would be 15% i believe, and we would have to pay capital gains to the US as well.

For individual investors, the tax is somewhere around 39%, but with T212 as a trustee, it is only 21%ā€¦

1 Like

Got the same reply and asked about the 15% and to clarify the 0% of previous payments. Was promissed writen reply in 48h.

Thanks!
So you mean that in the past, we received dividends taxed incorrectly in our favour ? But that this time is now finished ?

Without further information from T212, itā€™s the only explanation i can think of. There used to be some dividends tax rates not right in the past, maybe this was the last of it :person_shrugging:

I would love to hear from @Team212 about this though.

1 Like

The most Iā€™ve found about it so far

1 Like

So basically claim the Dividend Withholding Tax and pay Capital Gains or ignore Capital Gains and lose out on the 21% regain on Dividends.

I wonder how it would work with ISAs though as the IRS may not honour our immunity to paying Capital Gains should we claim the dividends and sell out.

I believe the author, in order to make it more simples, excludes from his calculation any impact from double taxation agreements. This was my understanding from the text.

I think if EPD sticks to 7%+ then it is still worth buying more shares as a 5% Dividend after the 21% withholding Tax is a good deal overall, but now I have to compare this to Legal and Generals 6% Dividend Yield with only 2 payments a year.

1 Like

(whilst at work) Iā€™m looking at the NL-US treaty, will update if i find anything.
Edit: thing is, the 15% is treaty relates to normal dividend, not return of capital (partnership dividend). Now, those are taxed 0% in the US, and up until now, 0% for us too. But for foreigners, as we saw, this gets upscaled to 21-37%. Hence my looking at the treaty, see if there is any special case for x-LPs

@Venetia1993 I am being so fearful for my MMP dividend of today :sob: But its 8.5% is still worthwhile, even with this tax. Just not as juicyā€¦

3 Likes

If all MMPs are taxed this new way (MMP, MPLX, etcā€¦) , it is not a good news indeed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes