NIO Inc ISA eligibility

Its really i had nio in my isa then i had sell my position because it was not isa compliant and it is so it nean i would have to sell then buy in my isa at a high price again

1 Like

Same, i had it at $5. :joy:

I had it at .88 really annoyed when it happened

1 Like

There are other stocks like this on Trading212.

Someone in Investment Operations/Back office Data needs to try harder!

Time to spend some money on more staff or 3rd party services to monitor this???

When we had an independent community member here whoā€™s sole job it was to produce the data that brokers require to implement such stocks, even he couldnā€™t always conclusively say if something was or wasnā€™t applicable to be held in an ISA.

Itā€™s not a simple task, but if you have a list that youā€™ve carefully curated and checked independently (not just used a different broker and hoped theyā€™re right), then post it - Iā€™m sure 212 would be only too happy to receive it.

1 Like

If T212 are happy to build there business on the random diatribes of community members rather than a paid-for/professional service or in-house/expert/compliance/legal opinion - Iā€™d recommend running away.

Good on whomever you refer to as the independent community member who used to perform such computations but Iā€™d still rather be filed with a sense that T212 take there business, our money and the ISA Regulations seriously.

That said - whereā€™s this community member? Being them back. Pay them.

2 Likes

Youā€™re missing the point. Itā€™s not prescriptive or as easy as you think. 212 have a risk team that looks after this and like all brokers in the UK have got it wrong before so are cautious about adding.

This is what heā€™d say.

The ISA eligibility guidelines are clear as mud to be fair.

1 Like

I do not for one second mean to suggest that ISA rules are easy or clear.

Yet (following the NIO example) are a bunch of other ā€œChineseā€ ADRs finding a home on Hong Kong Exchange (an ISA allowed Exchange) that T212 has not made available.

In the case of Weibo it was listed out of Hong Kong in December 2021. That should be long enough to pick up the change.

By my understanding if the Owner/Primary stock is allowed in an ISA then the ADR below it is also allowed. ie. NIO.

So WB should be allowed in my ISA now (since Dec 21 actually) too ??!

Its an ever moving target though right, with no golden source that maintains a list of ISA eligibility as far as Iā€™m aware. so very manual in nature imo.

My understanding is it relates to the primary exchange where a security is listed, not any secondary listing, and the primary exchange has to be in the accepted list. Thereā€™s a couple other nuances but thats generally it.

So nio is back in isa dose that mean trading 212 is going to cap or block it when its in there best interest .

Not a great first post.

1 Like

Why would it be in a brokers interest to block you trading a non gbp stock in a gbp isa account, when they take a 0.15% FX fee? :man_shrugging:

End of day, all brokers want you to trade, but have to comply with all the local regulatory and compliance requirements. If you are blocked from buying / selling, then there is likely a valid reason for this.

Small cap stocks that have irregular trading activity, suspected manipulation of the market and temporary suspension are generally coming from the regulator, not the broker. The only thing that could make a broker suspend trading, is they are liable for funding requirements etc for trading, although it is your own funds, if you are funding a buy from a sell, there are capital requirements set out by the regulator that the broker must comply with to ensure markets do not fail.

2 Likes

That 0.15% ainā€™t profit making tho. FX is expensive. But point still stand. The brokersā€™ interest is to have you vested, even in ISA accounts which arenā€™t money-making.

Why is Weibo still not made available in an ISA?

Hey, @haggis_mince. Weibo (WB) is now available for trading in ISA. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Ha! Great! So I was right. I think yu have a few moreā€¦ :face_with_peeking_eye:

@Momchil.G @Michael.M @Team212

Hi, I just want to make sure this is correct before ā€œbreakingā€ my ISA :slight_smile:

What prompted these stocks to become ISA available? Was it some sort of legislation change? A secondary listing(which lists ADRs again and not ordinary shares!) on HKEX changes nothing.

Because HMRC has different rules for:

• ordinary shares
  • depository receipts
  • (A)merican depository receipts ADR/ADS

the problem with almost all chinese stocks listed on NYSE is/was they were ADR(S)s. And for an ADR to be ISA eligible the underlying ā€œstockā€ has to be listed on a recognised exchange. NIO listing on HKEX is a secondary listing of primary market: NYSE. So there are no ordinary stocks of NIO listed anywhere on any recognised stock exchange.

If the investor holds an American depositary shares or American depositary receipt that is traded on a US stock exchange the underlying investment is the shares represented by the American depositary shares or American depositary receipt. If these shares are officially listed on a recognised stock exchange, the American depositary shares or American depositary receipt will be a qualifying investment for stocks and shares ISA.

[Source]

ā€¦If these shares are officially listed on a recognised stock exchangeā€¦

these shares are not listed anywhere but still owned by Cayman Islands incorporated company.

If you are confident that these are ISA eligible can you point me to which recognised stock exchange actual NIO shares are listed (because as far as I know there arenā€™t any)

edit: Another kick in the teeth line from legistation:

It is irrelevant for ISA purposes whether the depository receipt is listed or traded on a recognised stock exchange.

So in our nio example, NYSE:NIO is an ADR, HKEX:9866 is a secondary listing for the ADR in NYSE. These depository receipts being listed in recognised NYSE, and HKEX (main board only) in HMRC terms is: ā€œirrelevantā€

edit2: Iā€™ve also forwarded a similar query to HL pending response

itā€™s not that bad actually, the real problem is how/where companies incorporate and go public is painful to track.

This is mostly correct but, the listing you pointed in HKEX is not an ā€œordinary shareā€. Even in the link youā€™ve provided it is a ā€œsecondary listingā€ for the primary ā€œNASDAQā€ in which it still is an ADR.

Iā€™d make sure before buying this and breaking your ISA. Keep in mind despite T212 being your ISA manager, legally you canā€™t say ā€œhey they broke my ISA so itā€™s still tax freeā€, until they repair it.(if they can)

Iā€™m sure the guys at Trading212 know what they are doing. They would have got the go-ahead legally to get this added to an ISA.