Open different trades at different prices

Are use able to add same feature as cfd where if we buy at say $10 and it rises/falls we can open another position (say max 2-3) and it doesn’t affect our average price? As there some stocks I’d love to have a little play on tryna some day gains but no way of opening position without selling and re buying but I don’t want to sell

This seems to be mainly a tracking and visualising preference, right? You can certainly make multiple purchases of a stock, and remember the purchase price of a particular batch of shares with which you are wishing to trade short term.

One idea might be to create a pie with just one stock inside it. Then you will be able to see the value of that pie separately from your total holdings in that stock, but you won’t have the possibility to sell that batch with limit and stop orders: instead you will have to place market orders.

1 Like

Erm I just want to say buy Tesla(example) for my main investment but then if it’s drops to a point where I think going to rebound I’d want to buy in and then sell once I make what my aim is. I know you can buy n remember what batch is what but rather be separate and didn’t think of the pie one! Probably best bet!

And yeah tracking etc just the average price I don’t like to nudge up because then when I come to sell, it doesn’t return to where I initially had it

1 Like

It would be a nice feature.
At the moment i’m having to do this a strange way by buying ETF’s like the S&P500 with different providers to avoid short term risks of increasing average price etc.

Mainly useful in volatile conditions like this. Would be cool to have it like the CFD platform.

I am curious to understand why calculation of average price one way or another creates a “risk”. Surely there is no bottom line affect on profits or on tax liability, no matter whether or not separate tranches of an instrument are held on different providers’ platforms. Am I missing something?

Maybe i’m wrong, no clue.

The risk doesn’t go away. It’s just allows me to add more risk and take that risk out of the market without affecting my initial risk. lol if that makes sense.

Say my average is ÂŁ10.
I’m bullish short term but not so much middle term, but plan on holding my initial investment for the long term.
I don’t want my average price jumping up when buying stocks for short term profit taking.

So I can dip my toe in the market, buy some shares and when the market is rising to a high of £11, take profits but my initial entry point on my “Hold for the long term” stocks, are not affected.

I bought a decent size of stocks in the crash so all my levels are a lot lower than the current prices. If I want to make a quick profit though, I can buy shares now and sell in a few days time, but everytime I buy my average moves up, so after a while it keeps increasing my breakeven point to the stage where my initial investment isn’t that low anymore, just average. Which kind of sucks

Well that’s my logic on it anyway :smiley:

1 Like

I see that. But isn’t it all just an accounting fiction that you could track in a spreadsheet if you wished? Bottom line - your total wealth, investment returns, and tax liabilities are completely unaffected by how you mentally partition your different purchases and sales of shareholdings in the same instrument.

Basically, on cfds you buy can re buy and sell which ones u want. Investment should be same we’re requesting. I dont want to have to get out spreadsheets and this and that, to keep track. It would be simpler to add feature that enables it, imo much simpler

And like we’re saying if we buy at 10 pound and want to hold for 12 months, but 3 months in the stock goes to 7 pound, id want another position separate from my original as I’m waiting for it to return to 10 say and take my 3 pound profit, plus I still got my original investment untouched