Profit & loss display error

Hi @trading212,

I am not sure whether or not anyone else has come across this problem, but I seem to suffer from a consistent profit & loss display error. Happens with any instrument/ticker on any timeframe and time of the day.

Please see below.

To explain what I am seeingā€¦ When opening up the ā€˜sellā€™ window, here it can clearly be seen that for Ā£1000 investment, it shows Ā£10 profit. However the instrument window below clearly shows a loss. Have worked with this for some time now and managed OK, but itā€™s getting a little frustrating. To be clear, the error isnā€™t fixed to a specific value, i.e. it doesnā€™t not appear to be an offset, unless perhaps itā€™s a percentage offset.

Many thanks for your help.

Marius

Is it the buy/sell spread, perhaps?

What currency is your account in? It can be the exchange rate effect.

Not sure that would be it, as this issue only presents itself when looking to sell. If the price remains stable for long enough, in many cases they two numbers eventually tie up.

Queens money of course :slight_smile:

So you probably made money from the change in Fx rate, which made up for the reduction in stock price and gave you some profit on top.

You can know the details on the mobile app or the Beta web app if you click on the ā€œReturnā€ button in the instrument view.

Interesting thought. Will have a look at on beta. Thanks, @Alien.

Ok, so can confirm itā€™s not exchange rate. Saw an ~ Ā£10 difference while exchange rate contribution was Ā£0.86 on my last trade.

Are you looking at something like this?

I did look at that, yes. Example below:

If you look at the following though, it can be seen that the market value differs by ~Ā£4.

If I were to sell this, I would end up getting the Ā£243.89 results, rather than the quoted Ā£247.84 result as shown in the market [selling] window.

Sorry, I do not have a definite answer.

@Dao @Vedran can you help?

Thanks, @Alien. No worries. The simple fact that you tried to help is much appreciated!

not sure what may be causing it, but ultimately the sell window only shows an indicative price that you may or not be able to fill on, while your position bar shows your current result and is probably the only value worth looking at between the 2.

you are looking at the value selector which could be the reason as this can often be a bit funny. if you were to select by the number of shares you hold instead it ā€œshouldā€ match what your position bar is displaying.

Hi @David .D, @Daniel.T ,

Please can you help?!

Looking at the below image, it can clearly be seen that there is a discrepancy between reported expected profit, depending on where one looks on the web platform.

Looking on the bottom left or on the right of the screen, the ā€˜resultā€™ or ā€˜returnā€™ match up and one can account for FX impact. All is fine and well in that sense.

Looking in the middle of the screen at the buy/sell window, there is a significant difference in outcome, almost Ā£11. This clearly does not correlate with the ā€˜resultā€™ or ā€˜returnā€™ even accounting for FX.

What I have noticed is that if the price stays stable for long enough, these values will all reflect correctly, making me think that their calculations are either filtered differently, with the ā€˜resultā€™ and ā€˜returnā€™ being filtered a lot more than the buy/sell, or they use different rasters or ā€˜refreshā€™ rates with ā€˜returnā€™ and ā€˜resultā€™ having a much slower update rate.

I should point out that historically these were spot on and I 100% relied on only the buy/sell window for my expected result, and that this seems to be a new ā€˜developmentā€™ and it has resulted in me actually losing money when selling.

Also, and maybe this is just my mind playing tricks on me, but it would seem that the ā€˜resultā€™ or ā€˜returnā€™ outcome updates quicker when price drops than it does when price increases suggesting a different filter being applied.

Please can you confirm and correct this behaviour as the platformsā€™ performance is now definitely not as good as historically. I have not put under the new advanced platform as an issue as this started very recently, at the start of the new year.

It is worth mentioning that the mobile app is also affected by this, but I do not use that as often, so my primary focus is on the web app. I suspect however that fixing it in one platform will fix it in both.

Thank you for your help and support in this matter.

Hi @David .D, @Daniel.T ,

Please can you help?!

Looking at the below image, it can clearly be seen that there is a discrepancy between reported expected profit, depending on where one looks on the web platform.

Looking on the bottom left or on the right of the screen, the ā€˜resultā€™ or ā€˜returnā€™ match up and one can account for FX impact. All is fine and well in that sense.

Looking in the middle of the screen at the buy/sell window, there is a significant difference in outcome, almost Ā£11. This clearly does not correlate with the ā€˜resultā€™ or ā€˜returnā€™ even accounting for FX.

What I have noticed is that if the price stays stable for long enough, these values will all reflect correctly, making me think that their calculations are either filtered differently, with the ā€˜resultā€™ and ā€˜returnā€™ being filtered a lot more than the buy/sell, or they use different rasters or ā€˜refreshā€™ rates with ā€˜returnā€™ and ā€˜resultā€™ having a much slower update rate.

I should point out that historically these were spot on and I 100% relied on only the buy/sell window for my expected result, and that this seems to be a new ā€˜developmentā€™ and it has resulted in me actually losing money when selling.

Also, and maybe this is just my mind playing tricks on me, but it would seem that the ā€˜resultā€™ or ā€˜returnā€™ outcome updates quicker when price drops than it does when price increases suggesting a different filter being applied.

Please can you confirm and correct this behaviour as the platformsā€™ performance is now definitely not as good as historically. I have not put under the new advanced platform as an issue as this started very recently, at the start of the new year.

It is worth mentioning that the mobile app is also affected by this, but I do not use that as often, so my primary focus is on the web app. I suspect however that fixing it in one platform will fix it in both.

Thank you for your help and support in this matter.

Is it because you are looking at the buy price in the lower pane, but the sell price in the middle pane?

@britsy_em The investment pane portrays the estimated value of your holdings according to the priceā€™s current sell quote on the platform. If you open the detailed trade box, its value will be calculated according to the current buy quote of the market price, even if you are trying to set a sell order. Both values are indicative (not binding to the execution), but the investment pane provides a more accurate representation.

Hi @Rumen ,

Many thanks for your quick response.
Absolutely understand that values are indicative at all times - I have no concerns there.
My ā€˜issueā€™ is simply that historically the detailed trade box and the investment pane results corresponded, unlike now.
Wouldnā€™t it then make more sense for the detailed trade box to use the sell quote when looking to sell and buy when looking to buy? Not doing so make it seem somewhat misleading.

Thank you.

1 Like