Rate for portfolios

Hi there

I’m in my late 20 and planning to save up for my mortgage.

Do you think my portfolio is good for a long term saving. I’m trying to diversify my portfolio but mainly focus on us stock.
https://www.trading212.com/pies/l7iPFv1Rs54sEoVSLKoZbkyvxo2R

Any help will be appreciated!

Nothing major to comment about the pie other than its less stable than S&P 500 all in I would argue if your goal is to be less volatile but with growth.

But what is your timescale for saving, as issue being if you need to take it as a lump sum mortgage wise it may be at a bad (or good) time for the market.

Look into a LISA if possible, and I would probably air on the side of caution and pick a diverse fund depending on how long your willing to save up for.

Yes, I definitely want it to be stable and less volatile. And I’m planning to save up for around 10 years. So if I want it to be much more stable, should I all in the S&p or S&p IT??

I would like to save up for 10 years

You could just go with a ready made ETF like VWRP ? It would at least have some exposure to China & Japan.

@Randomguy If you are using a set and forget approach and you won’t be adjusting your investments or deposit amounts within the 10 year time frame you will better of with an etf or fund manager.

Otherwise choosing your own stocks will require some level of time to watch/change/adjust your investments to reduce overall exposure to the stocks that are growing and potentially increase your exposure to those that have lost.

If I were you and looking for low risk and low maintenance I’d probably have less of a weighting towards the SP500 IT.

All depends on your opinion and risk tolerances though as there are some heftty valuations in there.

If you do want some more tech as a position check out USA or SMT, again there are some hefty valuation.

For the record I’m not averse to some heavy valuations it’s just nice to keep it a bit balance, depending on your goals and beliefs.

There will be people far better placed than me to listen to though.

@Jobloggs The only thing preventing me from recommending one type of share group or index is that the op wants something for 10 years or so and hasn’t mentioned how much maintenance they are willing to do over that time period.

If we are in a tech bubble it could be over by then or in the middle of depending so I would rather a global fund tracker or the like to ensure you don’t lose any eggs down the 10 year line or use a fund manager as they do all the hard work for you

That’s all very true.

With no maintenance and monthly tops up and not checking a global ETF would probably be best.

I’ve spread my ETFs around personally as I think we have another couple of years of hefty valuations due to the amount of new investors coming in. It will of course get a point where some of the valuations have to justify itself (I would assume).

I’m about to start etfs next month I think it’s something I’ve massively overlooked, the global etfs will atleast shield us from inflation

I think I’ll be putting around 300-400 pounds a month to this portfolio. And initial deposit would be around 2000-3000. That’s it. And planning to save around 100k over 10 years for the mortgage. So that’s what I want to do.

I’m sorry that I forgot to give more context.

So I’m planning to put around 300-400 pounds a month over 10 years to save around 100k for the mortgage. And also the initial deposit would be around only 2-3k only since I don’t have too much cash with me.

I would put around 300-400 pounds a month for this portfolio.

@Randomguy Hands on or hands off though? I would choose 5 etfs in a pie that suit your 10 year outlook and then set and forget

Yes that’s actually my approach. Set and forget. I’m not that fussy about the regular up and down. Because the index will go up eventually because of the inflation

So you think my second portfolio would sit me?

As I’ve said I’m not in etfs yet but I soon will be, it’s about your level of risk management it doesn’t really matter what any if us think as the likelihood of it being right is low.
You can balance any risks out with an all world etf, or just have risk free etfs.
You do seem to have a lot of merged etfs though? Not much point in having 2 of the same