Russian stocks -

Firstly as this is a stock forum I am posting this not out of distaste, its terrible whats happening, but I also hope we are all adult enough to talk business on this.

So what are people watching with Russian business/stocks, fact is that money will be made and lost in large amounts around this time.

Sanctions
I think sanctions are of course the biggest factor in short term volatility, we saw that yesterday to the negative stock price action then as Europe not willing (yet) to go hard on energy we have seen some companies come back up partially. Banks have been hit hard by this such as Sberbank down 75% in last 5 days, VTB down 50%.

Interest rates
These have gone from <5% to now 9.5% in the last year, forecast to go up even more potentially, so this is something significant to watch. Also argument if you feel these rates will then come down so some businesses will benefit from that of course.

Are you making any moves on Russian equities whether buying or selling, what are you watching?

4 Likes

I’m giving them a wide berth and not even thinking of attempted profiteering from this shambles. If I inadvertently do in some way, then the funds are going straight to a charity to help rebuild and support the people suffering from this.

17 Likes

I think the biggest opportunity was yesterday now russian stocks start recovering surprisingly fast :face_with_raised_eyebrow: personally not touching russian stocks at all even if they could bring decent return. Not planning to support Putin and his policy by any means.

9 Likes

Same here, I am treating Russian stocks like tobacco and weapons industry. For me it has become a no go.

6 Likes

Yeah I sold out of BGEO (Georgian) I know but any border territory I’m out.

Russian stocks could be an opportunity…

For long or short…

LTCM felt the same in the past with Russian bonds, and the rest it’s History (History tends to repeat itself):

Btw, we can invest in everything (even in mortality financial instruments), but it doesn’t mean we should.

I won’t invest in a lot of areas, due my moral/ethic values, that I value more than financial values (non-financial returns vs. financial returns).

I’m more willing to SHORT Russian financial instruments and its economy (equities, bonds, loans, RUB), to earn both financial and non-financial returns. Supporting the Ukrainian people and accelerate the end of the Russian aggression.

The Russian foreign currency reserves (inc. gold) won’t last forever, its currency and gov bonds will tank, in mid term. Risking a new Russian bond default, higher inflation, an economic and financial crisis.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking at doubling my position on BAE systems. I think this is going to be a wake up call for many governments and many countries will double on defense spending.

1 Like

Russian stocks - an opportunity?

No, no opportunity, because of something called morals.

7 Likes

I have a policy to not make financial decisions based on an old man having a breakdown on a global scale. so I didn’t invest based on Trump, I won’t either on Putin.

2 Likes

I think Babcock there is more to be made

What about Qinetiq? Dropped a few months back due to weakened guidance but seems pretty solid with a Golden Share held by Government and zero debt.

1 Like

Yeah good shout Venetia

1 Like

Much better looking at this.

2 Likes

Wow disgusting to even think it

3 Likes

Humanity, truth and freedom is what we are all defending. Anyone who would seek to profit out of murder, death and misery is no better than the madman Putin and those who surround and support him.
For you to even suggest this suggests you have no conscience , either that or you are a KGB plant trying to bolster the war machine.

1 Like

I just skim the info (have not done a dip digger). It seems Evraz is a very solid company, thus a very good Investment.:

• P/E Ratio 0.46 (Steel Industry Average is around 27),

• P/S Ratio is 0.09 (Steel Industry Average is around 28).

• P/B Ratio 0.67 (lower than 1)

- It is currently paying 50.32% Dividend (Madness how could they effort that ??)

• Analysts Price Target is GBX605, so potentially 8-9X)

• Currently in a very dip value territory.

• Their operation is not just in Russia but around the world : EVRAZ plc, together with its subsidiaries, produces and distributes steel and related products in Russia, the Americas, Asia, Europe, CIS, Africa, and internationally

I do not have any intention to calculate myself, as it takes a lot of times but I will try to find out their Piotroski F-Score, Altman Z-Score, Beneish M-score if I could and post it here if I could find it.

I am aware they might be dropped from FTSE 100 which is the concern. Also some people do not like it is their operation is in Russia. Is there any other points that would make it this is not a good investment ??

I just skim this one as well (have not done a dip digger). It seems POLY.L is a very solid company, thus a very good Investment as well:

• P/E Ratio 1.23 (Steel Industry Average is around 27),

• P/S Ratio is 0.34 (Steel Industry Average is around 28).

• P/B Ratio 0.51 (lower than 1)

- Dividend : It is currently paying 37.06% (Again madness how could they effort that ??)

• Analysts Price Target is GBX1604 (so potentially 7x-8x)

• Currently in a very dip value territory

• Their operation is not just in Russia but Internationally as a precious metals mining company in Russia, Kazakhstan, East Asia, and Europe.

I do not have any intention to calculate myself, as it takes a lot of times but I will try to find out their Piotroski F-Score, Altman Z-Score, Beneish M-score if I could and posr ir here if I could find it.

I am aware they might be dropped from FTSE 100 which is the concern. Also some people do not like it as their operation is in Russia. Is there any other point that would make it this is not a good investment ??

I think the main issue is delisting it. I just received a message regarding another Russian stock suspension. I am not sure if we keep receiving the dividends in this case.

1 Like

Just to clarify to the people who jumped on me for starting this, I was creating a discussion and was not suggesting anyone should do it or if it was right or wrong. I have changed the title as perhaps ‘an opportunity’ was bad wording on my part.

Let’s discuss but keep it civil please.

Guessing linked to the suspension today of 20+ Russian co’s from LSE.

1 Like

It’s because the price has fallen massively - it’s not the normal yield.

They’re not paying them anyway.

3 Likes