Sale price ***BABA / Alibaba***

This is quite rightly named “catching a falling knife”
before attempting to do so, one should weigh pros and cons. The approach I take in high frequency trading is the “cowards doctrine” When I create a position, I immediately assume I am wrong until/unless the market proves me correct. The terms “until” and “correct” should have quantified meanings depending on the size and risk indicators.

on long term holds, the entry value is seldom the most important thing, if you have money and the stock is in your shopping list, buy it. Changing behaviour due to price timeline fluctuations are usually unfavourable especially for retail investor.

democracy is an illusion and very much overrated. I’ve participated in 2 very big life changing referendums, neither was on the side of my vote. I live in a constituency that votes 90%+ labour so that vote is one way or another meaningless as well. but yeah democracy, the tool that gives the majority the right to step on minority (regardless of how big or small it is). Any time you wince or grimace they now have the right to say “hey we voted this way”

Physically and practise every day average Joe’s life is not much different.

Okay, I’ll reframe it it.

Less of a democracy than ours, and there’s no arguing that point.

Interesting perspective.

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

I am semi-trolling you but meanwhile genuinely feel like my vote means and changes nothing, and I’m not certain how to quantify that which “changes nothing” is less or more

I have come across him before and personally don’t trust much he says. I would argue he contradicts himself somewhat as I see BABA as a 1 foot hurdle, a profitable proven company with lots of previous growth, compared to 7 foot hurdle very growthy SAAS names yet to turn a profit. Its all perspective not one hard and fast rule.
However, for arguments sake if it imploded then yes I personally can cope with BABA going to $0, I don’t want it nor do I think it likely but it won’t affect me long term

1 Like

Isn’t BABA just like DIDI a risky stock?

I guess there is a small positive that we can talk like this and not go missing (also trolling) :wink:

One question, are Alibaba shares on the Hong Kong stock exchange actual shares (eg. like buying a normal plc on the LSE) or just beneficiary shares (like an ADR) where an intermediary institution holds them?

Surely buying Chinese stocks is about as speculative as you can get in the market at the moment

60% of the time this strategy works every time.

Shares on HKG are secondary listing, primary listing for alibaba is NYSE and only tradable in ADSs. The company is incorporated in Cayman Islands and each ADS represents 8 ordinary shares of this incorporation.

2 Likes

This video is very informative. I don’t see BABA going anywhere soon and the recent intervention seems an important reason for the price to be discounted. I will be adding some to my position .Alibaba vs Amazon, What Stock Should I Buy? - YouTube

Heading down into the 180s today, in HK even went down into mid 170s but up a touch from then.

I am actually excited to see how the anti monopoly rules change, I think worse for Tencent than Aibaba, Alibaba now can sell on Tencents ‘walled garden’ of Wechat. with announcements last day or so.

Also other opportunities like this after recent music rights issue for Tencent:

Of course it will swing both ways so Alibaba will face more competition, but both are strong companies and will thrive unless govt completely wants them gone which is unlikely.

2 Likes

Panic is music for my ears. The more panic/blood there is , better deals we can expect. :partying_face:

Thank you Mr. Market.

I would also add to your watchlist, UP Fintech(TIGR).

1 Like

I thought this limit order will never ever execute… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Why TIGR in particular?

Now below even the lowest price target of 25 ‘analysts’ (back to pandemic levels lol) - implying a >50% upward move once the free fall stops…

3 Likes

Let’s hope for a good start. :wink: After a while the pre-market is green. :laughing:

1 Like

The only problem with those ‘estimates’ is that they’re based on out of date information. They’re only really good when/around release.

4 Likes

Thanks god it is like that. Imagine if people/hedge funds/banks/etc with algos/machine learning were able to be accurate. They will clean all the good opportunities, not leaving anything to the small fish.

2 Likes