Share size orders

Hello guys

are there gonna be changes regarding size orders for stocks?
Many of the stocks are in range between 0.5$ - 3$ and u can not afford more than 50-150 shares

Welcome to the Community, @Cris1 :wave:

The maximum quantities on Invest & ISA are part of the risk management policies that we follow. Still, we do our best to review the quantities for all instruments as often as possible.

The limits for each individual instrument vary based on the underlying market conditions and may be adjusted to reflect market changes. Let me know if this is regarding a specific stock or an ETF and I’ll gladly forward the quantities to be reviewed :pray:

Yikes!

On the face of it there looks like a lot of assets with max. position sizes into the $$$millions …

On LSE there is IUQD with a max pos. of 50000000 at $1896 USD close that makes about $94780000000

Am I missing something?

Do T212 mean this to happen?

I isolated the UK market and mapped T212 maxLong positions to Normal/Exchange Market Size too (ya know, for fun!)

Some map 100% but 99.9% do not. So it is not necessairly about derisking settlement or price oddities by outsized orders?

I mapped to actual market makers order sizes too (ya know, for more fun!). Again, some map nicely to what JPMorgan or Winterfloods accepted as order sizes on Friday afternoon this week. But most do not. So it’;s not about the risk of outsized orders not being executed automatically and needing to go manual (with the Best Execution rules being somewhat slacker).

So what is it about? What risk management is going on here?

Again, I could be way off the mark here and misunderstanding.

I suspect it’s as simple as ETFs having low risk, but the system needs a number so 50m is what they went with. Just wish they did the same with Investment Trusts (and I had enough cash to max them out :sweat_smile:).

Thanks for bringing this up, @haggis_mince.

The maximum position size for such ETFs is 50 million shares, and this is not something new. While it may seem like an unusually high number compared to other instruments that we offer and their quantities, ETFs have different market conditions when compared to stocks.

Having the limit so high aligns with our goal to not restrict clients in any way from investing and trading with ETFs. For the time being, we haven’t encountered any issues with this approach, but we do appreciate your feedback and will review this topic in more detail :pray:

This interested me so I ran a quick analysis of Trading212 maxOrderSizes versus a large UK competitor - in this case CMC (as it was the quickest to get).

For various reasons we will never know the differences are quite accute.

CSV download available on the free stocklist store if interested.

Take it with a pinch of salt as we can not know the criteria each firm applies and their risk tolerances.

But it is quite interesting data to compare.

Enjoy! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s always a good idea to stay updated with your trading platform’s policies and any market regulations that might affect your trading strategy. Platforms and brokers periodically review their policies to remain competitive and cater to their users’ needs, so expressing your concern to them might also highlight a demand for more flexible order sizes.
In the meantime, focusing on a strategy that works within the current limitations, like diversifying within your budget range or exploring other investment vehicles, could be beneficial. Also, keep an eye out for any announcements from your platform regarding updates to trading options.