Stop loss for pie's

Dear Trading212 community and Trading212 Team ,

will there be a development in the future for a Stop Loss options on a Pie ??

The Pie option with the auto invest is a really nice thing, how ever security is missing while using this great tool in your app.

A Stop Loss on the whole Pie to secure losses
or
a Stop Loss on each individual stock with in the Pie would be great

Thank you for updates

Regards
tim

2 Likes

if you are worried about losses why are you using a pie?

2 Likes

If you need a stop loss, you should probably keep the position outside the pie. I believe the pies are more a tool for very long term investors, who tend to keep investments throughout any market season

2 Likes

Agreed, the whole purpose of an Pie is to invest. I wouldnā€™t even consider putting a stop loss. If anything this should be used as an opportunity to average down. I donā€™ think stop really apply to investing or more for day trading. If you need to implement a sale at a loss then iā€™d question your plan. Or you so longer believe in the company your investing. Or theyā€™re about to go bust.

2 Likes

What would you do if the market start crashing?Let say 10 % in a day and you are unavailable for some reason?
I think the Timmā€™s question is pertinent and make some sensā€¦

2 Likes

Why would you sell out after a 10% drop? Thatā€™s when you buy more as a long term investor. Thatā€™s what pies are for. If youā€™re going to sell your stocks at any sign of decline means you have no faith in the company in the long term. If you want to try sell and buy back in thatā€™s not really the use of pies, pies are for cost averaging easily. I would never set a stop loss on any of my companies!

2 Likes

Fair point! I donā€™t disagree for technical corrections having no deep impact.

However, remember Nasdaq dropped, in 2000 bubble, and recovered to the same level in 2016.
Iā€™m really talking about that kind of situation.
Would it be wise to have a treshold safeguard, I guess yes.

If you want to cover youself you can always set a price alert, to be letā€™s say 5 to 7 % higher that the max drop you are able to accept. When this point is reached you may consider to remove that stock from your pie, and monitor it either with another price alert, or just by following it closer. Just an idea

1 Like

Until the stop loss feature can be used in a pie, that is a good idea.
Thanks Pasquale!

2 Likes

Nothing. Just keep drinking my coffee. Markets will eventually recover. Has always been the case, will always be the case.

Anything in my pies is long term for my retirement. I donā€™t touch until then and only keep adding funds regularly. Past March I was deep in the red due to Covid-19 sell off, closed 2020 with +17% return. I am satisfied.

1 Like

Buy more if I could.

1 Like

Would that not be worth to have a tracking stop loss?

So on the long term thought, if you you have a profit of 20% after few year, you can setup a stop loss for 10% crash so you sundely donā€™t lose all your profits?

What you guys think?

1 Like

Agree.
A nasty crash can suddenly drop 15-30%ā€¦
By adding a stop loss at least you can protect your portfolio.

1 Like

I would do the same. Buy the dip

1 Like

Buying a falling knife is not a good idea sometimes. Really look into the financials of the company which is falling if this is only 1 falling and not the whole market.

Getting more shares into a company because you have faith in it itā€™s completely ridiculous. You should see whatā€™s the reasons behind the hit and not just buy blindly.

the same can be said for people who sell just because the price drops a bit. that is also ridiculous.

2 Likes

Hi Trading212, are you going to add a stop loss function to the pie? Since a pie rhetorically becomes as an etf , to have a stop loss would help to protect our money in case of a market crash (in many predict that a market crash will happen sometimes this year). Ideally, since many pies are in forex, it would be better to introduce a stop loss in %: for istance if the price of my pie drops more than 10%, automatically sell it.

Just to check - but should you not be concerned if you miss out on asset recovery? Thereā€™s lots of analysis on timing the market, and the answer is people can rarely do it.

You might have a stock that drops 12% - so you sold out after it dropped 10%, and then recovers shortly after to be say 7% down end of day once demand rebalances.

Well, at least I would like to have the stop limit function in the pie, than it will be my choice how and if to set it.
I suggest you to watch this video on how this pro approach the market crash risk (heā€™s also heavily invested in Ark):

3 Likes

very nice video I actually am also looking for a stop loss because I was on 14% profit. but now I am in -9% even though I have added around 4k Euro in few days during the market down time. I think a stop loss in the individual stocks in percentage is very useful.

@Team212 can we have this feature please.

Thanks,
Red