Tesla stock split

By ā€œlast available priceā€, do you mean the initial post-split price, which will be one-fifth of the market closing price on 28/08/2020?

Based on this new information, here is my attempt to answer my own question for total Tesla shares specifically:

0.1 shares => 0.5 shares sold at post-split price
0.2 shares => 1 share
0.3 shares => 1 share + 0.5 shares sold at post-split price
1 share => 5 shares
1.2 shares => 6 shares
1.3 shares => 6 shares + 0.5 shares sold at post-split price

If thatā€™s correct and you understand those examples, you should be able to perform the calculation for any other quantity of shares. In fact, now that we have confirmation that thereā€™s no significance to having less than 1 whole, pre-split share, you only really need the 0.1 and 0.3 examples!

If some of the shares are in a pie, then the number of remaining whole, post-split shares (after the post-split fractional component is sold) are split between the pie and non-pie parts in exactly the same ratio as they were pre-split.

Is that a decent (and correct) summary?

1 Like

By last available price we mean the closing price at market close on 28/08/2020.

I donā€™t think you do. Your table shows the ā€œRemaining (ā€œSoldā€) Quantityā€ as a post-split quantity (i.e. itā€™s been multiplied by 3) so you need to divide the price by 3 too.

By the way, I think you shouldā€™ve used a ā€œstock split coefficientā€ of 5 (like Tesla) for your table in this topic. By using 3, youā€™re liable to cause more confusion.

2 Likes

Or even simplerā€¦

1. Your total shares are multiplied by 5

2. You retain any resulting whole shares and the fractional part is sold at the post-split price

3. Your post-split whole shares are split between the pie and non-pie parts in the same ratio as pre-split

4 Likes

Iā€™m so confused reading all this. I donā€™t use pies or anything, just simple investing, kinda new.

I have 0.06 Tesla shares just now. If I invest some more to round this up to 0.2 then this will get converted to 1 share at the split and I will get to keep my share without having to sell and buy back in right?

Thanks.

You canā€™t be that confused because I believe you are 100% correct!

2 Likes

Thanks this is a lot easier to understand than the table

1 Like

Iā€™m still rather confused with all thisā€¦ Iā€™m just a rather new small investor and itā€™s the first time I have come across this stock-split.

I currently hold 0.1046339 shares in Tesla so would i still qualify for the stock split or not???

If I donā€™t then would it be better to sell my Tesla shares now before the stock split at the end of Aug so I can take the profit now rather than make a huge loss when the share price drops???

Please can someone advise me as Iā€™m not too sure about this.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum @ZI786!

I believe you will end up with 0.5231695 shares being sold at the post-split price; this is equivalent to 0.1046339 shares being sold at the pre-split price (about $221/Ā£167 at the current share price of $2,110 and exchange rate of 1.32). You therefore wonā€™t technically lose anything from a value perspective, except your ownership of the fractional shares. Whether thatā€™s a good or a bad thing will depend on whether the price goes up or down on Monday morning.

If you want to retain Tesla shares without having to worry about what happens to the price between Friday and Monday, you could purchase an additional 0.0953661 shares at a price of around $201/Ā£152 to give you a round 0.2 shares, which will be split to 1 share.

I just tried to check this on the iPhone app and I can only specify the price to 5 decimal places. How did you end up with a fractional share to 7 decimal places? If you have the same issue then youā€™d need to round up to adding 0.09537 shares. In that case, youā€™ll end up with 0.2000039 pre-split shares, which will be split to 1.0000195 shares. I think the 0.0000195 shares will be sold at the post-split price, leaving you with a single Tesla share and about Ā£0.0066329545454545, which may be rounded up to 1p if youā€™re lucky!

This is just my interpretation of what weā€™ve been told. There may be some subtle differences with regards to the number of decimal places and rounding. The key thing is that you get to a pre-split number of shares that, when it is multiplied by 5, is a whole number (or just above), i.e. those that end in .0, .2, .4, .6 and .8.

The worst-case scenarios are pre-split numbers of shares that end close to .19999, .39999, .59999, .79999 and .99999 because you will just miss out on a whole post-split share. Fortunately, it would cost very little to add additional fractional shares to get to .0, .2, .4, .6 and .8 or just above.

Conversely, pre-split numbers of shares that end close to .001, .201, .401, .601, and .801 will result in the smallest number of (fractional) shares sold. However, it could cost as much as $428/Ā£324 to add additional fractional shares to get to .0, .2, .4, .6 and .8 or just above.

Appreciate that @Martin! :beers:

My dilemma now is do I increase my 0.5 holding when I got in a cracking price, or just reap the partial benefits after the split? :thinking::man_shrugging:

1 Like

Quite disappointed to read this, considering Freetrade and other platforms are able to just award investors the value of the fractional shares without selling. T212 is meant to be a more established platform.

5 Likes

but we have Piesā€¦ nothing else matters :clown_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to second this. Big fan of T212 and since they are the best broker available in the UK in my opinion, they let themselves down by not adopting the approach of Freetrade here. Freetrade is an inferior service in all other ways

1 Like

Well, at least Trading 212 are selling the fractional shares after the split and not before it, as originally indicated. That makes a big difference because itā€™ll cost much less on average to top up to a number that will minimise the amount of shares sold, if any.

However, Iā€™d still like to know why theyā€™ve taken this approach.

@Martin?

1 Like

This is the last piece of the puzzle for me.

By now weā€™ve established that we can still buy shares up to and including Friday and still be eligible for the split.

However, Iā€™m still very keen to know whether the record date has any impact on either Trading 212 or investors, for future reference.

The record date doesnā€™t really matter. If you buy stock on or before Aug. 28, then youā€™re also buying the right to receive the extra stock in the split. If you sell before that date, youā€™re selling away those rights as well.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I initially invested Ā£125 in Tesla and it gave me 0.1046339 shares (as per image above). I might just buy the extra fraction share before Monday to make it 0.2 shares so I receive the 1 full share post split and then maybe try and buy a few more post split when the price drops.

I donā€™t know how but 0.1046339shares is what I have and now when I try to purchase more it only lets me go up to 5 d.p as you said correctly. So yes Iā€™ll have to make it more than 0.2 shares so I get the 1 share and a little left over.

But I have already read somewhere that when the split happens, the shares that are sold are sold at the post split price meaning that whatever profit there is currently will turn into a loss after the split. Is this correct??

Sorry if Iā€™m sounding confusing but Iā€™m new to this so just want to be completely sure before I make any moves that I later may regret

Thank you so much!

Can you clarify what you mean?

I would not worry. Suppose you end up with 0.202 shares. You will get 1.01 and then 5 x 0.002 = 0.01 will be sold. You should receive for it close what you paid for the 0.002. The 0.002 is worth about Ā£3. So even if you lost as much as 10% because of spread and timing on the round trip it would only be 30p,

You can buy 0.09537 and you will end up with 0.2000039. The bit that will be sold after the split will be worth about 7p.