Tesla stock split

Looks like Robinhood will split fractional shares. Would be so much better if Trading 212 could get this implemented before any further stock splits. Really hoping it doesn’t mess up my average buy price too. It might not sounds like a big deal but it completely messes up my profit calculations on portfolio trackers

4 Likes

Yes, even UK startup Freetrade are splitting all fractional share… as close to exact amount.

But final words is still to come.

6 Likes

So what happens to the average buy price when calculating profit? After the split. Surely if the price goes up $100 that should $500 profit for 5 shares?

@daindian Yes, any changes from your Avg price up or down is your profit or loss.

Likewise your Avg price will be divided by the split ratio.
For Tesla Avg price will be divided by 5.
For Apple Avg price will be divided by 4.

Tomorrow, we’ll post a detailed explanation regarding all the scenarios that may arise in respect of the stock split execution.

5 Likes

In previous stock splits, this was not the case. For BEP, for instance, average is based on pre-split prices, which results with a negative result even though in reality I am in profit.

I opened a topic regarding this: Reflect price changes to stock performance after a stock split

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Martin! :raised_hands:

Thank you Martin :blush::+1::+1::+1:

Stock split on Freetrade with Apple, a similar approach is taken with Tesla.

Hopefully Trading212; offer a like to like approach tomorrow with their detailed plan.

1 Like

Thanks @Martin. Can you include information about whether the “record date” is relevant to Trading 212 and/or investors at all please?

If you don’t want to complicate the “platform statement”, can you at least post something on this forum?

Thanks for trying to answer my question, but, if you read the conversation over the weekend, you’ll see that some of us have been trying to work out how that differs from selling or buying shares before the record date.

My sympathies goes to T212 staff, 193 posts in the topic and 300 of them are asking the same question :panda_face:

3 Likes

Maybe they should give us a clear answer then

3 Likes

Yes, I know it’s incoming, my point was that we’ve had conflicting information so far and that’s the reason why there have been so many questions on this thread about the same thing

1 Like

Below, I will shed light onto the upcoming stock splits & you can consider this information as the ultimate source of truth.

Scenario 1. (Row 1 in the attached table). Total quantity before split-WHOLE number (Non-Pie quantity + Pie quantity)

Your total quantity (non-Pie+Pie) is multiplied by the share ratio coefficient. The distribution of the total quantity between (non-Pie and Pie) after the split will be amended as follows:

• Non- Pie quantity AFTER the split = (Non-Pie quantity BEFORE the split * Total quantity AFTER the split) / Total Quantity BEFORE split.

• Pie quantity AFTER the split = (Pie quantity BEFORE the split * Total quantity AFTER the split) / Total Quantity BEFORE split.

Scenario 1.1 (Row 2 in the attached table) Total quantity before split whole number (Pie quantity) -

Your total quantity (Pie) is multiplied by the share ratio coefficient.

• Pie quantity AFTER the split = (Pie quantity BEFORE the split * Total quantity AFTER the split)/Total Quantity BEFORE split.

Scenario 1.2 (Row 3 in the attached table) Total quantity before split whole number (Non-Pie quantity)

Your total quantity (Pie) is multiplied by the share ratio coefficient.

• Non- Pie quantity AFTER the split = ( Pie-bucket quantity BEFORE the split * Total quantity AFTER the split) / Total Quantity BEFORE split.

Scenario 2. (Row 4 in the attached table) Total quantity before split-FRACTION number ( Non-Pie quantity + Pie quantity)

Your total quantity (non-Pie+Pie) is multiplied by the share ratio coefficient, the result is rounded to the nearest lower whole number. The remaining quantity will be sold at the last available price. The distribution of the total quantity between (non-Pie and Pie) after the split will be amended as follows:

- Non- Pie quantity AFTER the split = (Non- Pie quantity BEFORE the split * Total quantity AFTER the split) / Total Quantity BEFORE split.

- Pie quantity AFTER the split = (Pie quantity BEFORE the split * Total quantity AFTER the split) / Total Quantity BEFORE split.

Scenario 2.1. (Row 5 in the attached table) Total quantity before split-FRACTION number (Pie quantity)

Your total quantity (Pie) is multiplied by the share ratio coefficient, the result is rounded to the nearest lower whole number. The remaining quantity will be sold at the last available price.

• Pie quantity AFTER the split = (Pie quantity BEFORE the split * Total quantity AFTER the split) / Total Quantity BEFORE split.

Scenario 2.2. (Row 6 in the attached table) Total quantity before split-FRACTION number (Non-Pie quantity)

Your total quantity (non-Pie) is multiplied by the share ratio coefficient, the result is rounded to the nearest lower whole number. The remaining quantity will be sold at the last available price.

• Non- Pie quantity AFTER the split = (Non-Pie quantity BEFORE the split * Total quantity AFTER the split) / Total Quantity BEFORE split.

Scenario 3. (Row 7,8,9 in the attached table) Total quantity after the split < 1.

Your total quantity (non-Pie+Pie) is multiplied by the share ratio coefficient, the resulted quantity will be sold at the last available price.

Scenario 4. (Row 10,11,12 in the attached table) Total quantity before the split <1 and the resulted quantity after the split is >1

9 Likes

I’m glad you changed “EVEN” to “WHOLE”! I was totally confused.

There are still references to “ODD” numbers.

It has been amended!

1 Like

Are there any differences at all between ISA, INVEST and CFD?

Can you confirm whether the “record date” is completely irrelevant to both Trading 212 and your investors?