Trading 212 London outdoor campaign launched!

We have to manage our growth. At one point of time, hereā€™s what happened in the UK:

Thatā€™s not #5 in Finance. Thatā€™s #5 in everything! Not a single Google app aroundā€¦

You donā€™t want to know what it takes to handle it :exploding_head:

8 Likes

Wonder if you use some vendor solution for internal APIs to manage load corresponding or everything is internal development :slight_smile: :grinning:

I presume number of queries to backend has been spiking as of recent. Same as with authentication :slight_smile:

But so far so good. Only noticable impact, is at certain times buy/sell orders.

We develop everything in-house. Our growth in the last few months has been crazy so we are now more focused on optimisation. Huge improvements have been implemented already. Now we are also adding a lot more hardware resources.

Trading 212 runs on a modern service architecture which allows us to find and eliminate bottlenecks relatively quickly. But in production systems, when you are rapidly adding new features and many more active users, you can always be surprised.

But the most important thing - we have an amazing team. Not only they are top engineers but they are also highly driven and independent. We never ā€œfill positionsā€. We are always looking for the right person. Sometimes it takes many months.

We donā€™t have project managers, business analysts, coordinators or any other proxies. Weā€™ve been there and it didnā€™t work for us. Our team leaders are senior engineers and designers and they also do technical work. They donā€™t micromanage, they help their teammates grow.

Our culture is not built on stated values and superficial startup rituals. Itā€™s built on the people weā€™ve invited to join us.

18 Likes

We need to see the star team behind!! Make a YouTube video! Or clips :smiley:

1 Like

You can follow the trend and have someone do a ā€œday/week in the life of a SWEā€ @ T212

With the current pipeline, I cannot see a single person from Trading 212 finding the time to produce such a video :smile: But Iā€™ll try to snap a few pictures.

1 Like

Weā€™ve just added 360 CPU cores and 4.6T RAM to our production environment. Just to be on the safe side and feed the hungry services.

7 Likes

I think you guys should hire a senior software engineer (java/kotlin) like me to be part of T212 team :innocent:

Right when the US market was opening, I couldnā€™t login to my account for 4-5 minutesā€¦ missed to release my stock and now in a lossā€¦

How much queries can the production handle? Can you please share some graphsā€¦

Hey @saifali!

We havenā€™t experienced any downtime, and rather I believe that it might be a locally related timeout. Iā€™ll send you a DM to discuss further all details. :v:

Why doesnā€™t T212 boost this marketing outside UK as well? i.e. in other European markets, as thereā€™s still not many others, to say none, offering fee-free investment in stocksā€¦ Thereā€™s Freetrade, soon Robinhood in the UKā€¦ EU is still there, just for you guys =D (Revolut is in all European market, but they are still far behind and they charge 0,1% custody fee, and if you are not Metal fee-free is limitedā€¦). Conquer Europe! :muscle:t4:

1 Like

We are gradually focusing on more European countries. However, we want to avoid uncontrollable expansion. We are already seeing significant organic growth in many EU countries. And we are preparing new campaigns here and there :wink:

2 Likes

Itā€™s great you have finally started to market aggressively, As I thought that was keeping t212 to reach to wider masses and people were fooled by so called other freetrading apps. You are generations ahead, Robinhood guys sit just next to my we work office and by the looks of it and speaking to them they still have plenty of things going on apparently before the launch. Plus being Robinhood user myself previously I can clearly say you guys are tad better, they just launched fractional shares and have been in news for lots of criticism in announcing and launching new features. Even though US is crowded at the moment you should seriously consider expanding there as thatā€™s the place to be for some serious cash generation with your features and some genuine unique points you can easily dominate

5 Likes

Most of the Trading 212 team members are reading this forum so positive feedback definitely gives us energy to push even harder!

Thereā€™s a lot of potential and work to be done in Europe, where we have everything set and working. The US market is already ultra-competitive and it is consolidating. We would need $300-$500M to take on such an adventure. Or a strategic partner.

The days of growth hacking on a shoestring budget ($millions) in the fintech space are coming to an end. There are many fintech enthusiast because we all saw the amazing growth of a few companies. But doing now what they did 2-3 years ago doesnā€™t work.

Of course, there will always be opportunities. Itā€™s just that the current cycle is coming to an end, the window is closing.

5 Likes

but what is 212 about? was 121 and 365 domains already taken?

2 Likes

You guys should put this answer in the FAQ.

5 Likes

Great to know this!! I agree with adding this to the FAQ. Interesting!

1 Like

you still got a better Domain than I did at around Ā£7.50 and that was cause of multi-year purchase discounting xD

I got a nice short 6 letter domain but didnā€™t care too much about SEO haha. Trading212 rolls off the tongue nicely.

Every day is a school day. Glad you used NYC - Trading 020 hasnā€™t got the same ring to it. :uk:

T212 dudesā€¦ itā€™s great to see this step up in momentumā€¦ for months Iā€™ve been reading how your competitors are great and their comparisons with each other but not a mention of T212! You definitely have a good platform, excellent customer service and many benefits over the competition! Iā€™m looking forward to reading about you in IC (or equiv) as the best of the best! It seems like great timing with the expected launch of a similar (US based) platform too - lots of opportunities for some free advertising/reviews!
I am definitely very pleased with what you offer and think others would be to if they had heard of you!!!

8 Likes