TUI AG Rights Issue

We are about to send emails to all eligible accounts containing instructions on subscribing to the rights issue.

The subscription will continue until 19.01.2021.

2 Likes

Just got my notification. :+1:

1 Like

Can anyone shed some light on what all this means, in layman’s terms for us newbs please.

Thanks @Rumen received the notifications

1 Like

Seems like this was incorrect, I bought Friday but those shares haven’t been included towards the rights. Can anyone confirm? Their document states 11/01 as “Record date for subscription rights entitlements”?

1 Like

I am with Liam. The document states 11/01. Can you shed an light @Rumen

2 Likes

I have contacted trade212 online chat three times because I saw on other platform that shares bought on Friday are not entitled for right issue, but trade212 reassured me that any share bought on last Friday entitled right issue, I have not received any email yet. I still keep the chat script, if I will not receive the right issue, who should I contact to cover my loss?!

I also purchased on 8th and 11th and have received no notification of the rights issue?? @Rumen any help would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Same here, bought the 8th, received nothing.
Is there an minimum requirement of shares needes to be bought to be eligible?

Apparently not, I held a very small amount prior to the 8th (less than 29) and received a notification and issues for those but NOT on any I bought on the 8th.

Thanks for the explanation xiano. I’ve had the push notification & email for my own Tui on the investment side, but nothing for cfd’s. Do you by any chance have any idea how cfd’s are dealt with?

Ah I may have the answer as I probably don’t qualify. Just realised that the offer only applies to holdings prior to 7/1/21. I opened the cfd element on the 8th after the price fall. No worries.

1 Like

The Record date is when you must be on the company’s books as a shareholder. It takes one working day for that to happen from when you make your transaction, so the ex-rights date is one day before. You had to be a shareholder at 8am on the 8th to be counted, and given that you can’t trade before 8am, essentially you needed to be a shareholder the day before.

2 Likes

For every 29 shares you held on the 8th, you will be offered 25 shares at a cost of 95.62p each.

Any fractional shares are not counted, so, for example, if your calculation works out you should get 25.5, you will only be offered 25.

You have two options, either buy the shares, or allow T212 to sell them on your behalf. If you choose the latter, T212 will sell the shares to the market and you will be credited with the profit.

You will have until the 19th to make a decision. You’ll get a notification and an email with a link to click if you want to take it up. If you do want to take it up, you need to have free funds to cover the transaction in your account when you click the link. If you don’t want to take it up (you want T212 to sell your shares for you) you don’t need to do anything.

Thanks but I meant the rights issue and the reason they are doing this.

The rest is easy to understand

Thanks for the response, useful information for the future as I just took it as a given that pre-11th was fine.

To raise money from their shareholders. They’re going to use a chunk of it to pay off some existing debt and the rest to keep going while they wait for restrictions to be lifted so they can (hopefully) survive and become profitable again. Unsurprisingly, TUI has been hit hard by the COVID pandemic!

“TUI said it would use €314m to repay 2016 notes plus accrued interest. It will use the remaining cash to strengthen its continuing liquidity.” - https://www.sharecast.com

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

Not a Trading 212 customer, but someone referenced this thread on Yahoo Finance, so I thought I might help out clarifying a few questions here.

Q) I own CFDs on TUI, will I get subscription rights?
A) No. The CFDs are contracts that reflect the price movement in the underlying instrument, that is the TUI AG stock. It does not carry any other property of that stock — just the price. It does not matter if you bought before or after January 8th, CFDs are not stocks.

Q) I bought stock on January 8th, when will I receive my subscription rights?
A) You won’t. Eligible stocks had to be owned on market open on January 8th. If the support line is telling you something different, they’re mistaken. No new position open on or after January 8th is eligible for subscription rights, and thus you shouldn’t expect to receive any information regarding this event.

Q) Can I buy subscription rights now in order to achieve a lower price on purchasing the stock?
A) Yes, but not really. The price of the subscription rights is not the ultimate price of the stock. Let me use my own position as an example:

• The current stock price is 3.984, while my subscription rights can be sold for 2.478.
  • Buying 1 subscription right buys you the right that one stock held before January 8th granted you. Let’s call that a “unit of rights”.
  • For every 29 “units of rights” — that is to say, the rights that owning 29 stocks on January 8th granted you — you will be offered the purchase of 25 new stocks at a strike price of 1 euro plus 7 cents fixed commission. In other words, 1 “unit of right” is not the right to buy 1 stock, but to buy 25/29th of a stock, or 0.862 stock. To put it differently, you need 1.16 rights to buy 1 stock at 1.07 euros.
  • So, the math to figure out the discount you can achieve by buying rights now vs. just buying the stock outright is as follows: (2.478 * 29 / 25) + 1.07 euros = 3.944 euros to end up with one stock via rights purchase. In other words, the discount right now is 4 cents. And that’s excluding the broker commissions you’ll have to pay to buy the rights. I don’t know about Trading 212, but I’m pretty sure my broker’s commission is larger than 4 cents per share, turning this into a premium rather than a discount.
  • The final catch here: Even if you’re able to achieve a price with a sensible discount compared to just buying the stock, consider this. There is a risk (this is noted clearly in the TUI investors documentation on the event) that the event may be cancelled, i.e. that no stock emission takes place after all. If that is the case, the rights cannot be exercised, and their value is lost. No ifs and buts, if you buy subscription rights, and the subscription is cancelled, you lose all your money.
    So, I would forget about buying rights and just buy the stock if you want it.

Just as a final note: These last couple of months of price development put us firmly above the 200 and 50 daily SMAs for the first time since pre-corona. The 200 SMA is at about 4 euros, which is exactly where we are now after the massive drop. Keep this in mind if you’re thinking about investing in TUI. It’s a high-risk bet right now, one that I’ve taken the long side in. First at the end of March, and now doubling down with the stocks emission (I’m exercising my rights, and buying in, plus I bought an addition 242 shares on Friday after the drop using some dividend funds that were unused). I’m not sure it’ll hold, but I’m counting on it. My confidence shouldn’t matter to you, though, but if you’re in any way interested in technicals, and you’re already planning to go long TUI for a longer timeframe, this is a perfect buy point to do so.

Good luck all, and I hope my little Q&A answered some of your questions that seemed to me to have gone unanswered.

Cheers!
Mika

5 Likes

Just for clarity, regarding your final q&a, T212 don’t offer the option to buy (or sell) subscription rights, so unless you’re using another broker it’s a bit of a moot point, but I agree, not much point in buying subscription rights.

Point taken — I think I was probably more answering a question on Yahoo there :smiley: