VanEck Semiconductors (SMGB)

Now that this is live on T212, need a place to discuss it :smiley:

I have opened a small position now, it interests me because I am bullish on semis but when I have analysed the companies its really a bit outside my wheelhouse to pick a single winner, only one I know better and own already is Nvidia, but been considering Taiwan Semis and AMD for a while so this makes that easier, however I sold intel a while back so not sure how I feel about that haha. Now to work out how much % of my portfolio I feel suitable longer term for this, more reading needed I feel!

4 Likes

Iโ€™m not a fan of this type of thematic ETF. Iโ€™ve held some similar ones in the past and it made it nigh on impossible to keep track of allocations to different industries, sectors and geographies, which I like to have fine-grained control over.

In the end, Iโ€™d rather stick with NVDA and ASML as part of a 30-stock portfolio than complicate things by adding costs and another 25 stocks. That said, the expense ratioโ€™s not bad at 0.35% and it contains just about every semiconductor name that could be worth owning.

FYI this is fractional now for anyone, so can be used in a pie and more easily dollar cost averaging in.

Yeah I agree often on things where choose 1-3 stocks of that industry that you think are the best. However for both Semis and Gaming (ESPO) I have opted for ETFs as after looking into a fair few of the companies I just found actualy I like quite a few and also I dont know this industry as well as others. I hold NVDA individually anyway but wont be adding as much to it as its now covered by both SMGB and ESPO. I feel like this is a great industry moving forward to for now happy to hold this ETF to get some exposure.

3 Likes

Due to the dip, Iโ€™m thinking to start a position in the ETF. As @topher said, Iโ€™m not a fan of thematic ETFs as well, but this one might just be different. As youโ€™ve stated, I too think that semis are the core of what future brings. And I have to say I was surprised about the low TER of 0,35%.

1 Like

May actually be not a bad idea