Why people couldn't buy GME and AMC on Thursday

Trading 212 should have explained this more clearly and apologetically on the day.

However also, people should try not to jump to conclusions of malicious intent whenever something goes wrong.

3 Likes

I think the recent events have shown that this is just a pipe dream that will likely never happen. How can you have democracy when the system is designed to protect the same people who designed it? What companies like T212 are doing is just reducing the barriers of entry into a rigged game. The rules are decided by a few. For instance, 95 percent of the stock market is owned by the top 1% richest people in the world. So there can be no democratisation of finance when there is still a wide gap of wealth inequality because the 1% have the power to protect their interests and control everything.

5 Likes

Appreciate the update. Trading 212 should give high importance to transparency and rapid response as it did until now. If not I would definitely close my account. Be prepared in the future for scenarios like this, the stock market game is changing.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Thatā€™s how capitalism works. Trying to get to the top 1% rather than whining about it!

Do you have a reference for that data? It sounded very unlikely to me and I quickly found a contrary suggestion.

Two thirds of the stock market (public markets) is owned by institutional investors, including pension funds who invest their assets on behalf of working people who make up the bottom 90%. Pension funds also are among the biggest investors in private equity.

Who Owns the Stock Market? Itā€™s Not Just the Wealthy | Manhattan Institute.

I was a bit hasty to use the phrase ā€œdemocratisation of financeā€, forgetting that it is a Robinhood marketing tag. However, I had just been chatting with a friend who used the same phrase to describe what is happening.

What phrase would be better? In the US a much higher proportion of people are engaged with stock market investing than are in the rest of the world. A platform like Trading 212 is helping to open that up to more people in Europe and beyond.

Thatā€™s an eye-opener! Hereā€™s some more readingā€¦
ā€œIncome Disparity Around the World:
The income required to be in the top 1% varies greatly based on what country you live in. According to a list compiled by Bloomberg (using data from the World Inequality Database and Statistics Canada), it takes about $488,000 to be considered part of the top 1% in the U.S in 2019.ā€

Top 1%

These articles talk about annual income and that can be determined in the UK by HMRC tax records. However, the top 1% by wealth is a harder figure to know. One suggestion is that almost a quarter of all household wealth in the UK is held by the richest 1% of the population.

But it is more encouraging to read that

2.2 million people in the UK were subscribed to a stocks & shares ISA account in 2019

https://www.finder.com/uk/investment-statistics#:~:text=2.2%20million%20people%20in%20the%20UK%20were%20subscribed%20to%20a,by%20men%20(1.25%20million).

2 Likes

Well stand-by for Monday because itā€™s going to be twice as bad.

1 Like

Apologies, itā€™s been a while since I left university :see_no_evil:and I have become a bit lacking in referencing my points. I have been listening to various podacsts such as Investing with IBD, Investing Insights, Rational Reminder etc and they presented the evidence but I was a bit lazy to follow up on that.
However, who owns these institutions that invest peopleā€™s pensions? And given the amount of fees they charge for it would you say the majority benefit or is it just designed to further enrich the same people with a few crumbs leftover for the masses. And how many times have we heard about pension funds going bust?
I am not saying what T212 and Co are doing is bad, Iā€™m all for it and in the beginning I was also under the illusion that democratisation of finance was possible. Even the attempts being made in the cryptocurrency space to decentralise and democratise finance will all to the same outcome.

I wonder if it is possible to have two separate servers or what have you so that the UK Market is unaffected by the US as the App tends to crash on those days.

Understand this wasnā€™t your fault but as others have said, the explanation should have been done as it happened.

2 Likes

Still no answer on removing the sell limit cap for GME, GS2C, etc. :confused:

it was answered in another topic.

they have adjusted the limits, however no matter what the stock is the limits wonā€™t be removed entirely.

No additional increases in the distances (of these two securities) will be made unless market logic implies such action (e.g., a drastic jump in the price).

We all know itā€™s going to drastically jump - it must be uncapped before that happens.

1 Like

The real issue here revolves around how T212/ brokerages and clearing-houses deal with scenarios that get tough (short squeezes).
Us retail investors have no guarantee that T212 or the plumbing behind T212 will not repeat similar actions again, resulting in shorts unwinding and retail investors losing or having potential gains mitigated.
Surely (as Chamath Palihapitiya notes) T212, Clearing-houses and Brokerages should be required to run stress tests and have processes in place (as banks do). Simply changing the rules on a whim certainly stinks of market manipulation. T212 you should have guarantees in place as part of your business model that secure your customers confidence. Without us you have no business.

T212 you recently asked customers to allow share lending in order to help your business model become sustainableā€¦ All we ask is that you put your customers first.
Robinhood have given you a clear warning about how fragile your customers confidence can be. All we ask is fairness.

5 Likes

I can image all those trucks and people needed to carry all that moneyā€¦ very complicated task indeed. :clown_face:

6 Likes

My post earlier was taken down because it was deemed unfit for the community. I have reviewed it several times and not sure how the post could do so. Probably someone disagreed and marked it inappropriate thus resulting in taking it down. Iā€™m not sure if these rules are taken too seriously, otherwise whatever anyone writes can be offensive to at least one other person. For all I know, Iā€™m offending someone as we speakā€¦ Who knows? Can someone more experienced in the forum please tell me where I went wrong? The forum could turn into a place to only post one side of the picture, and not the other - and if that be the case Iā€™ll leave now gracefully.

4 Likes

Yes, your postā€™s been hidden because another user flagged it. Iā€™ve restored your post.

2 Likes

Following this topic, thank you all

Same funny how its the ā€œcommunityā€ hiding the legitimate anger thatā€™s going around.

1 Like

Controlled platform or what!

1 Like